• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking schools in Laos

Hi Mike!

I could be wrong, but I doubt there are any cooking schools in Laos. I would though, recommend going up to Luang Prabang and chatting with Yannick of Restaurant Les 3 Nagas. His restaurant serves upscale versions of Luang Prabang food and he's really friendly and might be willing share info or recipes.

How are you getting on in China?

Cheers,

Austin

Hi Mike!

I could be wrong, but I doubt there are any cooking schools in Laos. I would though, recommend going up to Luang Prabang and chatting with Yannick of Restaurant Les 3 Nagas. His restaurant serves upscale versions of Luang Prabang food and he's really friendly and might be willing share info or recipes.

Cheers,

Austin

Hey Austin,

We're in Borneo right now. Heading to Bario for some rice and then to Mukah to eat raw fish and sago worm :)... ambuyat (in Brunei) was nastyness itself, especially with what I think was a fermented durian sauce.. blech.

Thanks for the heads up I will search out Yannick. Back in BKK soon.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike!

Cheers,

Austin

Hey Austin,

We're in Borneo right now. Heading to Bario for some rice and then to Mukah to eat raw fish and sago worm :)... ambuyat (in Brunei) was nastyness itself, especially with what I think was a fermented durian sauce.. blech.

Thanks for the heads up I will search out Yannick. Back in BKK soon.

Cheers

Mike

In Luang Prabang you can arrange a (private) cooking session/lesson with Vandara Amphayphone of the Vanvisa Guesthouse. She's a gifted cook and patient teacher. I wish I'd taken more notes during my lesson, as I seem to have forgotten most of them already... You can reach her at vandara1@hotmail.com, she speaks french and english.

Good luck,

Gideon

Fermented Durian sauce....does this really exist? I want, I want ,I want!

Tampoyak= fermented durian

After I tasted this sauce it like infected my mouth for 3 hrs... could not get that lingering durian flavour out of the mouth.

Gideon: thanks ver very much for the tip, I will most definitely give her an email. Can I ask how much you paid and if the guesthouse was nice?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Skunkbunny,

A three hour private hands-on cooking class was about USD 10. When I was there in October 2005, she told me she was thinking about opening a cooking school like in Chiang Mai. Maybe she already has...

Furthermore, her guesthouse is very nice, welcoming and comfortable. Located in a residential area, a 5-minute stroll from the center, rooms are basic but fully functional, no a/c, but fans. The upstairs rooms in the back with bathrooms are the nicest, as they catch cooling breezes in the night and you can observe the neighbours cooking outside. I'd immediately go back if I had the chance!

Gideon