• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

this sounds like a lot of fun. i'm not sure yet whether i can make it or not, but would love to meet everyone whose posts i've been reading so much.... i work at mccormick & schmick's seafood restaurant in troy, mi (about 30 min northeast of ann arbor)- if there is any interest i would be happy to speak with my g.m. about an egullet discount during the weekend of 8/5 (or any other time).

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

I'll be flying out early Saturday AM, staying at a hotel near the airport and flying back early Sunday AM. So only include me in the head count for Saturday events.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

this sounds like a lot of fun.  i'm not sure yet whether i can make it or not, but would love to meet everyone whose posts i've been reading so much.... i work at mccormick & schmick's seafood restaurant in troy, mi (about 30 min northeast of ann arbor)- if there is any interest i would be happy to speak with my g.m. about an egullet discount during the weekend of 8/5 (or any other time).

Welcome to eGullet, san. Hope you can make it. Although you must drive a lot faster than me if you're getting from Troy to Ann Arbor in 30 minutes - I think of it as a 45 minute to 1 hour drive.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'll be flying out early Saturday AM, staying at a hotel near the airport and flying back early Sunday AM. So only include me in the head count for Saturday events.

As we get closer and people's plans get firmed up, I'll be asking people to RSVP for specific events/ activities - but I figure a lot of people are still in flux now, and we haven't worked out all the timing on our end either.

Wrt to Fat Guy's arrival - if anyone is planning to arrive on Saturday and would be driving past the airport mid-morning, please PM me and/or Fat Guy, as I've offered to try to coordinate a ride for him.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

One more bump back to the top....

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm still trying to square up my finances to see if I can afford this trip. 2 nights hotel at $50+ a night plus food for all meals, agh. If I hadn't signed up for my summer trip to the charity I do work for in TN, a trip which costs me a lot of money each summer (and takes the place of vacation) it would be a no-brainer, but I will have to wait and see at this point.

I just booked our room at the Best Western (still available @ $71 AAA); the Weber is mostly booked for that weekend - all they have are 2 double bed rooms off the pool for $150 (that's per night). I was willing to spring a little, but . . . . (and I wanted a king bed anyway).

We are so looking forward to meeting those of you we haven't yet met in person!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Wow!!! This seems like a fun event, I want to join in the fun too... I was just checkin to see how far of a drive it is from chicago, and its not that bad :smile: 4 hrs is soo worth it with all the gastronomical surprises I will be experiencing and all the new friends I will be making. I definitely want to go, so I will forward my leave request for work and see how that goes and check on the hotel prices, then I will make a definite answer hopefully by next week. I hope its not too late to join in on the RSVPed events. I was reading last year's event and sounds like you guys had a blast. I'm excited.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Wow!!! This seems like a fun event, I want to join in the fun too... I was just checkin to see how far of a drive it is from chicago, and its not that bad :smile: 4 hrs is soo worth it with all the gastronomical surprises I will be experiencing and all the new friends I will be making. I definitely want to go, so I will forward my leave request for work and see how that goes and check on the hotel prices, then I will make a definite answer hopefully by next week. I hope its not too late to join in on the RSVPed events. I was reading last year's event and sounds like you guys had a blast. I'm excited.

You're not too late at all; we just wanted to get things rolling early so as to give folks (like you!) a chance to plan ahead. There are other eG'ers coming from Chicagoland; I don't know if schedules and preferences allow, but carpooling may be a possibility.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just a heads up - I have a call into the Best Western about getting a group rate. So if you haven't yet made a reservation, hold off a little longer until I have more information. (If you've already made a reservation you'll be able to transfer it into the group block.)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just a heads up - I have a call into the Best Western about getting a group rate.  So if you haven't yet made a reservation, hold off a little longer until I have more information.  (If you've already made a reservation you'll be able to transfer it into the group block.)

Great, I'll look forward to that post.

Okay - we have a group rate at the Best Western for $71. It's good for both Friday August 4 and Saturday August 5. If you've already made your reservation there, you can call and get your room transferred to the group rate. Our group code is "egullet."

Right now we have 10 rooms blocked for us each night, and we'll be able to add more if we need them.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Is there by any chance a Marriott-owned property anywhere even relatively close by? I know the original 3 properties listed are the closest, but I'm willing to drive a little (20 mins maybe?) if I could stay at a Marriott property because I could use points to get a free stay. A 2 day car rental would be a lot cheaper for me than 2 nights at the best western, even at the group rate (thx for doing that though).

Sure. There's a Fairfield Inn about 10-15 minutes away.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ARBFI

And there's a Courtyard right there too.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ARBCH

They're just a couple highway exits away, so no big deal to get to and from.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Sure.  There's a Fairfield Inn about 10-15 minutes away.

*rubs hands together with glee*

Thanks!!

Where will you be driving from? Many Enterprise locations have a weekend special of $9.99 or $14.99 per day for three days; you just have to confine yourself to whatever they consider the local area. (I've done this for a Michigan-to-Illinois drive.) I've also nabbed excellent prices through Hotwire.com.

Sure.  There's a Fairfield Inn about 10-15 minutes away.

*rubs hands together with glee*

Thanks!!

Where will you be driving from? Many Enterprise locations have a weekend special of $9.99 or $14.99 per day for three days; you just have to confine yourself to whatever they consider the local area. (I've done this for a Michigan-to-Illinois drive.) I've also nabbed excellent prices through Hotwire.com.

From Cleveland, Ohio so I can't imagine them considering that local, but I'm sure I can find a good deal. Thx for the tip/info.

""Where will you be driving from? Many Enterprise locations have a weekend special of $9.99 or $14.99 per day for three days; you just have to confine yourself to whatever they consider the local area. (I've done this for a Michigan-to-Illinois drive.) I've also nabbed excellent prices through Hotwire.com. ""

They now give you several states at no mileage charge. From Ohio a few weeks ago, TN, WI, IL, VA, MI, and other states were included.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

rockandroller, don't worry about renting a car. Us Clevelanders will all jam into one car if need be. :biggrin: I won't know until it gets closer to the date but I should be able to use my mom's car that weekend.

Tammy,

Can we make the reservations through their (Best Western) website using the group name?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

whats the events for that sunday the 6th?

From Tammy's first post: "Sunday morning, my husband Eric will be leading a trip to Zingerman's Coffee Company, where managing partner Andy will give a tour, demonstrate his coffee roasting equipment, and lead a "cupping" of some of Zingerman's coffee offerings."

Breakfast/brunch/lunch tba, depending on who's around and their preferences and appetites.

rockandroller, don't worry about renting a car. Us Clevelanders will all jam into one car if need be. :biggrin: I won't know until it gets closer to the date but I should be able to use my mom's car that weekend.

Tammy,

Can we make the reservations through their (Best Western) website using the group name?

Thanks Kristen, but if I'm going to not be staying at one of the regular 3 hotels, I will need to rent a car. I can't (and don't) expect someone to schlep me out to another hotel every night. Thx though!

Tammy,

Thanks Kristen, but if I'm going to not be staying at one of the regular 3 hotels, I will need to rent a car. I can't (and don't) expect someone to schlep me out to another hotel every night. Thx though!

Do check out Enterprise. I don't know where in Clevelandland you're located, but for example, from noon Friday to noon Monday, the Warrensville Heights location charges ~$56 (including tax) for a subcompact, 62 for a compact, and 72 for an intermediate. There's unlimited mileage and no location restrictions, as far as I can tell.

Argh. Unfortunately, we just got smacked with a very expensive, unexpected medical bill (isn't insurance GREAT?), so I'm going to have to cut out all extraneous expenses. This includes cancelling my trip to TN to do charity work that I had scheduled for 2 weeks from now and not going to the eG get-together in Ann Arbor.

I hope all of you have great fun and will post some detailed reviews/recaps for those of us who can't make it. Have a great time!