• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd bump this thread back up to the top....

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Updating:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Sam Iam & Joyce

torakris (& family?)

ronnie_suburban (& family?)

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

NancyH & Bob

Palladion

Shannon_Elise

edsel

Fat Guy (tentative)

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& friends?)

VickiA2

destroit

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

ulterior epicure's spirit

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My brother, who lives in Lansing, is moving to Boston in two weeks....

I was hoping to go with him and crash at his place but he will no longer be living in the area. I will thus be on my own.

So anyone carpooling from Cleveland please include me in your plans. :biggrin:

I was hoping to go up for the Friday activities as well and need to be in Middleburg Heights by noon on Sunday for a family picnic. Anyone going around those times?

Also any other females travelling alone that might be willing to split a hotel room? :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I just heard about this tonight.  Count me in.  Has a hotel discount deal been arranged/likely to be, or should I just go ahead and pick one of the three?

I haven't worked on a hotel discount deal yet. Perhaps people who would be interested can PM me? I need to have a sense of numbers in order to see what our options are.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

My, the list is growing to be quite impressive.  I look forward to hearing all about it!

u.e.

Are you sure you don't want to plan a trip back just for us, u.e.? Surely you'll be missing your old stomping ground by then?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I've just bought a plane ticket and will be there. Looking forward to it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm up for driving others. I'm undecided about heading out thursday evening or friday morning, and I won't want to leave Ann Arbor until after the sunday event(s). I live in Twinsburg, but I'm willing to go a little out of my way. I can probably take 3 others comfortably. Should have my new car by then...

Edited by sweintraub (log)

My, the list is growing to be quite impressive.  I look forward to hearing all about it!

u.e.

Are you sure you don't want to plan a trip back just for us, u.e.? Surely you'll be missing your old stomping ground by then?

... to be sure, there are somethings about my old stompin' grounds that I'll be sure to miss (although truth be told, on the heels of graduation, I'm sorta still like "GET ME OUTTA HERE" about A2 :laugh: )...

Unfortunately, the Heartland gathering will have to go on without me this year. I'll be with you all in spirit - from China, where I'll be, well, EATING!! :raz: Maybe next year we can move the fun down to K.C.?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Maybe next year we can move the fun down to K.C.? 

The fun can take place anywhere we have members like Tammy and Alex, who are willing to host and organize it! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Maybe next year we can move the fun down to K.C.? 

Or you could just host an additional event - there's no reason we can't have two Heartland Gatherings. The more member-organized events, the better. It's a big region.

I know - have them on consecutive weekends, and then we can rent a bus to drive the diehards across the plains, eating all the way...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm definitely going to take a lot of pictures, but no one can make fun of my 35 mm dinosaur of a camera. I'm resisting digital as much as I can, but hell, even my camera phone takes great photos, so one of these days...

I'll be in for the three days and two nights, I can't wait!

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I am there for 2 nights and 3 days as well (Shannon Elise and I will be sharing a room :biggrin: ).

rockandroller,

I am sure we can figure out a carpool from Cleveland, I am going to see if I can borrow my mom's car or even rent one as a last resort. I need to be in Middleburg Heights at noon on Sunday so I could drop you right off at home. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow - I'm getting really excited, and we're still two months away! Glad to hear so many people are going to make it! I need to start thinking about logistics, because things that worked with our relatively small and intimate group last year are going to need some tweaking to accomodate our 40 and still counting group for this year!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Whoohoo!

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Sam Iam & Joyce

torakris

ronnie_suburban

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

NancyH & Bob

Palladion

Shannon_Elise

edsel

Fat Guy

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& friends?)

VickiA2

destroit

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

sweintraub

rockandroller

ulterior epicure's spirit