• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

I'll be there too. Unfortunatly, Robin is on call so she can't make it. I'm going to ask my friends ( the ones who came for dinner last year) if they can make it too.

I'll have to pass on Sunday though, It's the Civic Holiday on Monday in Ontario, and Robin's family has a BBQ every Sunday before the Civic Holiday.

I think I'm foodblogging that week as well.

If Fat Guy comes, would it be too nerdy to bring a copy of his book to have him sign? :blink:

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

If Fat Guy comes, would it be too nerdy to bring a copy of his book to have him sign? :blink:

Shannon

I think it would be entirely appropriate, unless you obtained your copy via Abbie Hoffman's modus operandi.

SB :wink:

Hi,

I'm in Ann Arbor and would love to join the gathering.  It sounds like a great weekend! 

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  :biggrin:

Vicki

Glad to have lured you out of the shadows. Welcome to eGullet, Vicki.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I myself am a long time lurker, would love to join in the festivities. I'm a former moto employee and now head chef at an ann arbor restaurant. I live in town so there's really no reason for me not to attend.

"if god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat."

I myself am a long time lurker, would love to join in the festivities. I'm a former moto employee and now head chef at an ann arbor restaurant. I live in town so there's really no reason for me not to attend.

Welcome to eGullet. Looking forward to meeting you!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Would you mind sharing with us which resto you're now cooking at in A2?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Would you mind sharing with us which resto you're now cooking at in A2?

u.e.

I wanted to ask that myself, but figured if destroit didn't mention it, it was probably because he or she didn't want to. But I am curious!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I took over the kitchen at Bella Ciao about a month ago, and am in the process of making changes. Love to serve you all in the future.

"if god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat."

I took over the kitchen at Bella Ciao about a month ago, and am in the process of making changes. Love to serve you all in the future.

What kinds of changes? This is very good news, the one time I was at Bella Ciao, the food was underwhelming, didn't compel me to come back, despite the wonderful setting. Let us know when you're done w/ your changes, I'm in A2 and will look forward to trying your food soon!

Edited by Elrushbo (log)

I had a great time at the gathering last year, and am hoping to make it this year, but I've relocated from Windsor to Stratford, ON, so it will take a bit more planning!

The latest and greatest:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Sam Iam & Joyce

torakris (& family?)

ronnie_suburban (& family?)

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

NancyH & Bob

Palladion

Shannon_Elise

edsel

Fat Guy (tentative)

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& and friends?)

VickiA2

destroit (Welcome!)

HeatherM

ulterior epicure's spirit

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Out of the three hotels, which one would be the closest and most convenient? I will be coming by myself and I don't know the area at all. Thanks!

Shannon

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

Out of the three hotels, which one would be the closest and most convenient? I will be coming by myself and I don't know the area at all. Thanks!

Shannon

They are all within less than a mile of each other, and about 3 miles from the Gathering location. Really depends on your price point and how much ambience you're looking for. Weber's is the nicest, Best Western in the middle, and the Super 8 is, well, cheap!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Shannon

They are all within less than a mile of each other, and about 3 miles from the Gathering location. Really depends on your price point and how much ambience you're looking for. Weber's is the nicest, Best Western in the middle, and the Super 8 is, well, cheap!

In the past, I have stayed at the Days Inn off Carpenter Rd. Its cheap too and a great location.

Shannon

In the past, I have stayed at the Days Inn off Carpenter Rd. Its cheap too and a great location.

But completely on the wrong side of town.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Hey, my alma mater!

So glad I checked into this forum. Put me down as definitely interested, but has some work to do to make it really happen; I'll confirm again if and when it is for sure.

I have many fine food memories of A2: my first Thai (Jefferson Market), 4AM pizza from Bell's, bi bim bap everywhere, Spot's wings (still my favorite, even though I live near Buffalo), Cottage Inn deep dish Spicy Med with pepperoni, sausage, onions, extra cheese, and extra hot peppers, and one great date at Bella Ciao. Too many more to list without becoming tedious (probably too late :biggrin: ).

Those hot dog stands that served them in halved baguettes.

Great coffee everywhere, before it was cool.

And of course, the almighty Zingerman's.

Chicago dogs from that hot dog place.

And Steve's smash-ins.

And Kerrytown market.

And Espresso Royale.

Taco Bob's.

Sorry.

Shannon

But completely on the wrong side of town.

I forgot what exit your place is off of, but if I recall, it's not that far away.

Maybe 10-15min drive if that.

I don't mind driving that far so if I can't get a priceline, I'll stay there.

I forgot what exit your place is off of, but if I recall, it's not that far away. 

Maybe 10-15min drive if that.

I don't mind driving that far so if I can't get a priceline, I'll stay there.

It's actually about a 20 minute drive (I know, I've been doing it regularly to show this condo we're renting out). You should stay wherever you like - you know the location, and it works for you. There are three significantly closer options at a variety of price points, which is probably what most people are looking for when they've spent a day eating and drinking and just want to go back to their room and crash!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I can get lost anywhere, so for me the closer the better since I will be making the trip by myself! Thanks for the info. As long as there is a gym (and preferably and indoor pool) at the hotel I will be fine. So it looks like the Best Western for me! I can't wait! Hanging around with a group whose idea of great food isn't Steak and Shake at 3 a.m. (although there is a time and place for that - but it is not everyday of the week).

Shannon

So glad I checked into this forum. Put me down as definitely interested, but has some work to do to make it really happen; I'll confirm again if and when it is for sure.

Hope you managed to work out the details!

I have many fine food memories of A2:

<snip>

Sorry.

No need to apologize! Thanks for the memories! That's a pretty good list you've got there...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

The latest and greatest:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Sam Iam & Joyce

torakris (& family?)

ronnie_suburban (& family?)

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

NancyH & Bob

Palladion

Shannon_Elise

edsel

Fat Guy (tentative)

slbunge (tentative)

CaliPoutine (& and friends?)

VickiA2

destroit (Welcome!)

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

ulterior epicure's spirit

As mentioned in Tammy's original post, here's a link to a thread about last year's gathering.

As an added incentive for you Tigers fans :wub: , they're at home that Sunday, playing Cleveland.