• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

I sure hope you all will post a lot of photos for those of us wishing we were there. I am this excited about your gathering, and I'm not even going... I guess I would be beside myself if I were going to attend!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I sure hope you all will post a lot of photos for those of us wishing we were there.  I am this excited about your gathering, and I'm not even going...  I guess I would be beside myself if I were going to attend!

If last year was any indication, there will certainly be lots of posting going on all day. I'll do what I can to help people get up photos in real time, if anyone feels compelled to do so.

This is a good opportunity for me to let people know that we'll be creating a new thread to report about the event, so people don't have to page through this long, long planning thread to get to the good stuff. So sometime tomorrow we'll create a new thread, add a pointer post here, and close this planning thread to further comments.

So keep your eyes open for the new thread!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Tammy,

Have you coordinated with the cooks about equipment? I remember that the common house kitchen was pretty nicely equipped, but people may want to double check that everything they need is there (or bring-able).

I didn't volunteer to cook, but I'm very willing to help out if anyone needs a hand. I did volunteer to bring my soda syphon and some CO2 cartridges. I'll also bring the ISI creamer and some N2O (no snorting!) and some miscellaneous cocktail mixing stuff. If anyone wants to do cocktails we can figure it out on scene, since it wasn't really part of the official plan.

I can bring my Vita-mix blender (Heartland made!) which makes great slushy drinks and such. It's noisy though - we'd probably want to place it away from the main social area.

If it's going to get too crowded around the stove I can bring a stand-alone induction burner and a Le Creuset pot that works with it (you need flat-bottom ferrous pots for induction). That would move one item away from the main stove.

Last year you mentioned that there were people in your community with severe allergies (I think it was shellfish and peanuts?) so we couldn't cook or serve those items in community pots or dishes. If that's still the case, people need to know to bring cookware/serviceware for anything with the "banned substances".

Thanks for the check in Edsel. We cooks had a little chatter over email, and think we've got our kitchen needs squared away. I live in cohousing - what we don't have can generally be borrowed pretty readily. The biggest need seemed to be several people wanting to grill, so I'm working on acquiring enough grills that we won't have to fight over them.

personally, I'd love to check out the Vita-Mix - I've heard good things about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two people end up wanting to make some sort of puree for their dishes...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'll also bring the ISI creamer and some N2O (no snorting!)

But I was so looking forward to the snorting... :sad:

However, I'm still looking forward to the rest of the Gathering. And Susan, have no fear -- there will be lots of photos. (Cameras + laptops + wi-fi = nearly real-time reporting.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Ronnie and anyone else venturing through the Skyway . . . I read annarborfoodie's warning about the traffic cluster at the IL/IN border and the friend I stayed with in Cary last night also warned me but I was still in no way prepared for the 3 friggin' hours it took me to get from Cary out of Illinois! An hour getting to the 290 and the other two trying to escape it. I swear I didn't get above 2nd gear for over an hour and then spent another 45 minutes toggling between 2nd & 3rd. It was the single worst traffic experience of my driving career (and I've lived in SoCal and still spend a lot of time there!). This was at 1:15 on a Thursday - I can't imagine rush hour or a weekend. I'm literally going to reroute my trip home thru Indy - I can't face it again, plus it appeared to be worse by about 20 minutes west-bound (that is, I had been going highway speed for about 20 minutes before there was any break in the stop and go on the other side.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Ronnie and anyone else venturing through the Skyway . . . I read annarborfoodie's warning about the traffic cluster at the IL/IN border and the friend I stayed with in Cary last night also warned me but I was still in no way prepared for the 3 friggin' hours it took me to get from Cary out of Illinois!  An hour getting to the 290 and the other two trying to escape it.  I swear I didn't get above 2nd gear for over an hour and then spent another 45 minutes toggling between 2nd & 3rd.  It was the single worst traffic experience of my driving career (and I've lived in SoCal and still spend a lot of time there!).  This was at 1:15 on a Thursday - I can't imagine rush hour or a weekend.  I'm literally going to reroute my trip home thru Indy - I can't face it again, plus it appeared to be worse by about 20 minutes west-bound (that is, I had been going highway speed for about 20 minutes before there was any break in the stop and go on the other side.

Thanks for the heads up. I had the misfortune of taking Eastbound I-80/94 about 2 weeks ago (because I was trying to avoid the Ryan) and it was a complete nightmare. At one point, it took us about an hour to travel 3 miles. I'm planning an alternate route for tomorrow but at some point, there aren't that many viable options. Just about every major route around the lake is effed up in 1 way or another.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

:cool:

I am mightily jealous...in and past and over and around the paying project I need to finish. I will check in to observe the goings-on and smile with delight.

:biggrin:

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

They're dropping like flies, I tell you, flies!

I'm sad to report that HeatherM, LainierX and Alex have all emailed or PM'd me to report that - for one reason or another - they won't be able to make it. :sad:

While I'm sorry to lose anyone, I'm particularly sad about Alex. He was involved in the first Heartland Gathering in Grand Rapids, and then remembered my casual comment that "I'd be willing to host one in Ann Arbor" and made the second one (last year) happen. He's been a tireless behind the scenes planner and organizer and listkeeper, and he will definitely be missed!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Coming from the south, last weekend we took 17 across from 57 to 65 in Indiana, and that puts you on 80/94 right at the point where all the mess is over. We've also wondered about 30 (Lincoln Highway), but haven't tried it yet.

There was absolutely no traffic on 17. I understand it's way out of the way coming from Chicago, but at least you'd be moving and not sitting there endlessly.

They're dropping like flies, I tell you, flies!

I'm sad to report that HeatherM, LainierX and Alex have all emailed or PM'd me to report that - for one reason or another - they won't be able to make it.  :sad:

While I'm sorry to lose anyone, I'm particularly sad about Alex.  He was involved in the first Heartland Gathering in Grand Rapids, and then remembered my casual comment that "I'd be willing to host one in Ann Arbor" and made the second one (last year) happen.  He's been a tireless behind the scenes planner and organizer and listkeeper, and he will definitely be missed!

Thanks for the appreciative words, Tammy. I'm sad as well. But, to honor of the spirit of the Gathering, I'll make some blueberry cobbler and cardamom ice cream at home tomorrow night.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Folks, I've created the event report thread. Any last minute planning discussion can stay here, but once we get a chance to start posting about the event as it happens, let's do it over there!

See you in a couple of hours!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Last year you mentioned that there were people in your community with severe allergies (I think it was shellfish and peanuts?) so we couldn't cook or serve those items in community pots or dishes. If that's still the case, people need to know to bring cookware/serviceware for anything with the "banned substances".

Uh oh. I've just made a bunch of peanut butter ice cream. Am I not allowed to bring it, or will we just need disposable bowls and spoons?