• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

I will make enough bread for 35 people.

To be clear, enough for 35 eGullet Society members equals enough for 175 normal people.

Thanks for the reminder. Whoever has the absynthe better start diggin' deeper - I think it's going to be popular after all of the "thirsty work" we'll be doing. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

For those who are driving to Ann Arbor, here are two web sites that list all the major road construction sites in Michigan.

AAA Michigan (the SW page includes some Chicago info)

Michgan Department of Transportation

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Tammylc -- should I bring baskets for the bread, too? Or would you have that covered already?

I have some baskets, and the common house has lots of serving bowls, etc, but if you'd like to bring baskets, please feel free.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

To be clear, enough for 35 eGullet Society members equals enough for 175 normal people.

Thanks for the reminder. Whoever has the absynthe better start diggin' deeper - I think it's going to be popular after all of the "thirsty work" we'll be doing. :wink:

Sadly there is but the one bottle. Since there may not be enough to go around, any thoughts as to how it might be an ingredient?

Please take lots of pictures!! While I'm up to my armpits in irritating relatives, you'll all be having a killer time and I want to see it! :laugh:

I'm going to need the pick-me-up. :blink:

Tino27... It's awesome that Akron's going to be represented! You can't have a Heartland Gathering without an honorable delegate from Akron.

I just found out my brother and his girfriend are flying in from Boston on the Saturday of the gathering, while this won't affect me attending it does mean I won't be able to use my mom's car to get to and from the gathering. Before I look into rentals can we discuss carpooling again? :biggrin:

I am staying at the Best Western for both nights and would like to catch a ride with anyone going up early Friday as I would like to attend the archive tour.

I need to attend a family picnic on Sunday in Middleburg Heights (Cleveland's west side) and can show up any time between 12 and 2. So if there is anyone leaving just before or just after the Sunday morning activities and can drop me off. If it is before 12 I can be dropped off at my aunt's house in North Olmsted (just one minute off the freeway).

I can pay half the gas and am a decent conversationalist. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tino27... It's awesome that Akron's going to be represented!  You can't have a Heartland Gathering without an honorable delegate from Akron.

I'm just glad I found this thread in enough time to reserve my spot! :biggrin:

I'll make sure I do my party ... oops, I mean part, to represent Akron.

:rolleyes:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Kristin (and anyone else in the Cleveland area who's interested), I'm certainly interested in carpooling (and I should have access to a car). I'm quite flexible with times... I just today requested August 4th off, so I'm planning on attending the cullinary archive tour on Friday.

Given that the first event on Sunday is at 10:30, I don't think we'll be able to attend...

-------

Alex Parker

Kristin (and anyone else in the Cleveland area who's interested), I'm certainly interested in carpooling (and I should have access to a car). I'm quite flexible with times... I just today requested August 4th off, so I'm planning on attending the cullinary archive tour on Friday.

Given that the first event on Sunday is at 10:30, I don't think we'll be able to attend...

-------

Alex Parker

Just tell me where to meet you! :biggrin:

Hey we could even start off the trip with a lunch somewhere....

I can try to catch a ride back with another member, if you plan on staying longer on Sunday.

Well, it was decided that our baby is still too much of a fussy gus to bring or to leave at home with my wife w/ my help.

I am saddened, but look forward to next year's event.

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Sadly there is but the one bottle. Since there may not be enough to go around, any thoughts as to how it might be an ingredient?

YES!! Look what I just found:

Absinthe Cake

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Absinthe Cake

Yikes! Pls save a thimble-ful unadulterated :wub: (at risk of sounding hard-core :rolleyes:)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Sadly there is but the one bottle.  Since there may not be enough to go around, any thoughts as to how it might be an ingredient?

Absinthe Cake

Yikes! Pls save a thimble-ful unadulterated :wub: (at risk of sounding hard-core :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I'm with moonsqrl. My guess is that people who are interested in absinthe would be happy to have just a taste in the interests of making sure there's enough to go around...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Sadly there is but the one bottle.  Since there may not be enough to go around, any thoughts as to how it might be an ingredient?

Absinthe Cake

Yeah, I'm with moonsqrl. My guess is that people who are interested in absinthe would be happy to have just a taste in the interests of making sure there's enough to go around...

Me three. Even a little absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I just re-read the entire thread looking for address information of the various events and didn't see anything. Would someone mind posting the information (or even a website link would be good, too) so I can download the appropriate maps?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to this!

Tammylc -- what are the latest numbers looking like?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I will be sending people directions, etc for all the events soon-ish. I've just started pulling all the supporting materials together - look for a post or PM soon.

In terms of numbers, we've currently got 19 for the culinary archive, 23 for the Bella Ciao dinner, 19 for shopping at Zing, 22 for the farmer's market, 30 for the wine tasting, 34 for the feast, 19 for brunch, and 14 for the coffee roaster visit. And I've got a couple of neighbors who are still deciding.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Originally posted in reply to Alex's post on zucchini blossoms in the Cooking forum:

Wow, I just followed this link and looked at pics of last year's gathering and I think I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to make anything for this group - the bar was set too high. :shock:

Until I read the caption about the veal roast, I thought Steven was trying to end it all. :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Too late, moonsqrl, your name is already on the list!

Besides, the cast of a thousand sous chefs really helps.

You're right - they always do all of the heavy lifting anyway, right? If it turns out well, it was me -- if not, they didn't execute my vision accurately.

The Teflon Chef :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

I just filled out the survey again, I couldn't remember how I filled it out the first time... So if they have the same responses I apologize. :huh:

I am really looking forward to it!

and thank you for all the work everyone has put behind it.

Links to maps to the various places on our itinerary:

Friday events:

Clements Library, home of the Longone Culinary Archive 4 pm

This is right on campus, so parking is likely to be tricky. Look for parking on side streets, or feed a meter if you can find street parking. There is a pay lot at the corner of S. Forest and S. University. It's right across the street from Village Corner, the best wine store in town. Worth a stop if you get there early, or in our window of time after the tour and before dinner. Yes, it looks like a dirty college party store, but it's actually got a really excellent (and huge) wine selection.

Bella Ciao Trattoria 6 pm

There are lots of paid parking lots in the area, and street parking is free after 6, if you can find a spot.

Zingerman's Deli 9 pm

Lots of parking in the neighborhood, all free after 6.

Saturday Events

For the Farmer's Market, you can follow the link to Zingerman's, above - it's right around the corner. Parking can definitely be a challenge on market days. If you get really stuck, there's a free lot at Ann and Ashley (thanks annarborfoodie for the heads up). Cooks (and anyone else who wants to connect up rather than explore on your own) - lets plan to meet at 10 at the entrance to Kerrytown - look for a big glass wall through which you can see a staircase and a market. If you'll be joining us for the first time Saturday morning, please check in there as well.

The wine tasting and Heartland Feast will be held at my cohousing community, Great Oak Cohousing. We'll be in the one story red building in the middle of the community. If you have limited mobility, please feel free to park in the parking lot. Otherwise, please park out along Little Lake Dr - you'll see other cars parked there. Our parking lot is pretty small, so we need to not take so many spots there are none left for the people who live here. Wine tasting: 1:30 pm, Feast: 7:00 pm (but the actual festivities will be going on all day, so show up anytime after 1:30)

Sunday Events

I'll start another post to discuss where we should go for Sunday brunch, so no directions to that yet. It will be somewhere at 10:30 am.

Zingerman's Coffee Company 12 noon-ish (depends when we get done brunch)

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

So, Sunday brunch-ers - where shall we brunch? There are many options:

Zingerman's Roadhouse - quite good, but like all things Zing, can be spendy, and we're already doing a couple Zing related things.

Cafe Zola - great, but usually crowded and noisy.

Vinology - haven't been for brunch, but the dinners I've had have been stellar. Downside - they can't serve wine until noon.

Cafe Marie - good, but not especially interesting

Angelo's - an Ann Arbor institution, but usually very busy. Parking can be a huge challenge (or a long walk). Not sure if they take reservations, which would at least help us with the first issue.

I'm sure there are other places I'm not thinking of - any locals have a favorite place for brunch? Anybody have opinions on the ones I'm suggesting?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Ninteen is a big crowd, so I suggest we go to a place where a 10:30-ish reservation is available, and that we make a decision fairly soon.

So, Sunday brunch-ers - where shall we brunch?  There are many options:

Zingerman's Roadhouse - quite good, but like all things Zing, can be spendy, and we're already doing a couple Zing related things.

Vinology - haven't been for brunch, but the dinners I've had have been stellar. Downside - they can't serve wine until noon.

Angelo's - an Ann Arbor institution, but usually very busy.  Parking can be a huge challenge (or a long walk).  Not sure if they take reservations, which would at least help us with the first issue.

I'm sure there are other places I'm not thinking of - any locals have a favorite place for brunch?  Anybody have opinions on the ones I'm suggesting?

So, Sunday brunch-ers - where shall we brunch?  There are many options:

Angelo's - an Ann Arbor institution, but usually very busy.  Parking can be a huge challenge (or a long walk).  Not sure if they take reservations, which would at least help us with the first issue.

I'm sure there are other places I'm not thinking of - any locals have a favorite place for brunch?  Anybody have opinions on the ones I'm suggesting?

That will be Angelo's first Sunday open since June, so I'm guessing it would be even more challenging than usual. Too bad, I've missed it.

How is Zanzibar these days? I haven't been there since Gabrielle Hamilton days so I have no idea but it's a thought.

M.F.K. Fisher