• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

Bob and I will dig into the meat department if there are no other takers! Will there be a grill available?

In any case, if no one else has a preference, we'll decide on the type of meat at the market.

Bob is also very proficient with honing and sharpening knives; he is a die maker by trade.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Just an FYI. I just booked a room using Priceline.

I "won" the Hampton Inn South which is right off of exit 177( State Street). It's 7 miles from Tammy's house.

I got the room for $38.00 a night plus tax's and fee's. This is a great deal as Robin and I just stayed here a couple of weeks ago. The bed's have pillow top's, there is a deluxe breakfast( yogurt, fruit, some hot items that I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole) pool, WIFI and workout room. The staff is very nice as well.

Randi

edited to add: This particular Hampton is rated a 2 star according to Priceline. It's a lot nicer than the other 2 star in the area( Studio Plus). It has one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. Since we wont be spending too much time there, its an awesome deal!!

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Bob and I will dig into the meat department if there are no other takers!  Will there be a grill available?

In any case, if no one else has a preference, we'll decide on the type of meat at the market.

Bob is also very proficient with honing and sharpening knives; he is a die maker by trade.

Yes, there can be a grill (or two) available. The appetizer I'm thinking of will require one as well.

And I'm totally in favor of deciding at the market - that's what this is all about!

I caught the tail end of the market today. The warm spring has things coming in much earlier than last year. Plus our event is about two weeks later than last year, so we should have a slightly different array of produce at a our disposal. I'll give another update one week out.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Just an FYI.  I just booked a room using Priceline. 

I "won" the Hampton Inn South which is right off of exit 177( State Street).

I got the room for $38.00 a night plus tax's and fee's.  This is a great deal as Robin and I just stayed here a couple of weeks ago.  The bed's have pillow top's, there is a deluxe breakfast( yogurt, fruit, some hot items that I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole) pool, WIFI and workout room.  The staff is very nice as well. 

Randi

That sounds great!

I will totally admit that the best thing the Best Western has going for is that it's close. For people who don't mind going a little farther afield, using something like Priceline could net you a cheaper and/or better stay. (That particular Hampton Inn is only okay - my company is about to stop using it for our field staff - but for $38, that's great.)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm happy to head up another side or a chicken dish - Sparrow Meat has FABULOUS chicken - I really like BBQ'ing them whole, and would be happy to oversee that.

I'll also need numbers ASAP for the Culinary Archive trip. I need to coordinate that and they'll need a rough estimate of the number of people to expect.

Oh, and Michael is a no go again this year. He'll be up north at a golf outing for work. :-(

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'll also need numbers ASAP for the Culinary Archive trip. I need to coordinate that and they'll need a rough estimate of the number of people to expect.

And on that note...

Of the people on Alex's last list I've got specific RSVP info from:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

torakris

NancyH & Bob

Shannon_Elise

destroit

Fat Guy

sweintraub

edsel

aznsailorboi

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

VickiA2

ronnie_suburban

CaliPoutine

Sam Iam

And a couple people not on the list:

LainerX

Ruthie Jewell

Maggi (a friend of mine, not on eGullet)

Nancy (ditto)

I have yet to hear from:

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

Palladion

slbunge (tentative)

HeatherM

Meez (maybe)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

annarborfoodie (part-time)

ulterior epicure's spirit

If you're in the "yet to hear from" list, please visit the survey.

I'll post the current tallies in the next post.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Current RSVPs:

Longone Culinary Archive Tour

Friday, August 4, 4-5pm

14 confirmed, 2 tentative

Dinner at Bella Ciao Trattoria

Friday, August 4, 7-9pm

15 confirmed, 2 tentative

Shopping at Zingerman's

Friday, August 4, 9-10pm

16 confirmed, 1 tentative

Farmer's Market Excursion

Saturday, August 5, 10 am

19 confirmed, 3 tentative

Wine Tasting

Saturday, August 5, 1:30-3pm

20 confirmed, 4+ tentative

Heartland Feast

Saturday, August 5, 7 pm

27 confirmed, 1+ tentative

Sunday Brunch

Sunday, August 6, 10:30am

13 confirmed, 2 tentative

Coffee Roaster Visit

Sunday, August 6, noonish

9 confirmed, 5 tentative

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

If I can juggle my work schedule for sat off I would love to throw down a meat dish, something along the lines of duck or game birds perhaps. Maybe even some Foie can be worked in. That is if I'm not too pooped after friday evening.

"if god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat."

Destroit, Foie would be AWESOME. :-)

All, we had some discussions off-list about how to collect money in advance and make sure it is dispersed properly for the shopping ventures.

I just read about a new service that is still FREE!! because it is, well, new.

What do you all think?

ChipIn.com

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

It's an interesting concept. I've just posted a question on the forums there about how credit card payments are handled, given that they use PayPal to disburse collected funds. PayPal requires that you have a premium account in order to collect credit card payments, but it looks like those payments get effectively "laundered" into one direct combined transfer, which would hopefully eliminate that problem.

I had planned to handle this on a case by case basis, collecting money on-site from people arriving Friday night and Saturday morning, and asking those who wouldn't be arriving until later to make arrangements to pay in advance. But I'm certainly open to exploring other options.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

It's an interesting concept.  I've just posted a question on the forums there about how credit card payments are handled, given that they use PayPal to disburse collected funds.  PayPal requires that you have a premium account in order to collect credit card payments, but it looks like those payments get effectively "laundered" into one direct combined transfer, which would hopefully eliminate that problem.

I had planned to handle this on a case by case basis, collecting money on-site from people arriving Friday night and Saturday morning, and asking those who wouldn't be arriving until later to make arrangements to pay in advance.  But I'm certainly open to exploring other options.

One of the things I liked about this is it lets everyone see how the money is dispersed. That way, we can try to figure some of the logistics out ahead of time.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

OK, I'm in. I will bring some *real* tomatoes (I've lived in IL and MI and don't even try to tell me you know from tomatos :wink:). And whatever else I can hunt and gather between KC and A2.

Can't wait to meet the other HLand food geeks and visit Washtenaw Co.!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I volunteer to be Kris Yamaguchi's assistant, and also to assist Tammy with day-of expediting. I can fill in other gaps as needed. I'm coming ready to work.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I volunteer to be Kris Yamaguchi's assistant, and also to assist Tammy with day-of expediting. I can fill in other gaps as needed. I'm coming ready to work.

:wub:

Steven, you do realize I volunteered for a salad, right?? :hmmm:

I am also happy to assist with some of the bigger preps (meat dishes, etc) as long as it doesn't invlolve me standing standing over hot oil for an hour...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Steven, you do realize I volunteered for a salad, right?? :hmmm:

hmmm indeed. Something tells me there will be bacon bits (at least) involved.

Tammy, as I am late in joining this expedition, perhaps you can assign me to something? Or I can pick Steven up if he doesn't have much luggage or an aversion to high speeds. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Tammy, as I am late in joining this expedition, perhaps you can assign me to something?  Or I can pick Steven up if he doesn't have much luggage or an aversion to high speeds. :wink:

There will be lots of sous chefs and dishwashers required, so unless you feel driven to volunteer for a course, don't worry about it - we'll pitch you in as needed.

Have you filled out the survey form yet? If not, please do, since that's how we're tracking RSVPs for the various events. Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

You proved yourself a capable assistant last year, so I'll certainly plan to take advantage of you again...

I still tell people the story about you calling up Jose's Minibar to get the actual recipe for the caramelized zucchini. Hopefully this year's gathering will generate even more great stories for my anecdote file!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

The lastest status updates:

I've got specific RSVP info from:

tammylc & Eric

Alex

daniellewilley (no Michael)

torakris

NancyH & Bob

Shannon_Elise

destroit

Fat Guy

sweintraub

edsel

aznsailorboi

Mr. & Mrs. Devilkitty (tentative)

LainerX

Ruthie Jewell

VickiA2

ronnie_suburban

CaliPoutine & friend

Sam Iam & Joyce

annarborfoodie

Palladion

HeatherM

moonsqrl

Meez (cancelled)

Maggi & Tom (a friend of mine, not on eGullet)

Nancy (ditto)

I have yet to hear details from:

cbarre02 & guest

Elrushbo

slbunge (tentative)

jmsaul & L

maggiethecat

Flocko (maybe)

ulterior epicure's spirit

If you're in the "yet to hear from" list or need to change your answers, please visit the survey.

Less than a month to go - we're getting into the home stretch now!

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Have you filled out the survey form yet?  If not, please do, since that's how we're tracking RSVPs for the various events.  Thanks!

Just did - sorry, that little detail had escaped my attention.

M.F.K. Fisher

Current menu status:

Hors d'ouevres: ronnie_suburban, tammlyc

Salad: torakris

Pasta: CaliPoutine & friend

Fish: CaliPoutine & friend

Meat: NancyH and Bob, maybe Destroit too

Side or Poultry: daniellewiley

Side: Alex (corn), moonsqrl (somethimg else)

Cheese: sweintraub

Dessert: Alex (blueberry cobbler)

Cooks - expect an organizational email from me soon! If your name isn't on this list but you're planning to be a hard-core sous chef and want to be in on the menu strategizing emails, please PM me.

Things seem to be shaping up quite nicely. Looks like we've got no shortage of volunteers, which is great. I'm sure it will be a fabulous meal!

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Pretty sure my dish will be some sort of charcuterie.

=R=

And after last year I think squash blossoms should be the official emblem of the Heartland Gathering, so I'm working on a trio of squash/zucchini presentations, one of which will be a squash blossom. Probably non-tempura-fried, I'm thinking, since torakris has already excused herself from that "honor."

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Oh, and I'm pleased to have the Heartland Gathering as my excuse to open up the "party size" jar of foie gras pate that's been in my cupboard since last fall. It was a gift, and I simply haven't had an event that required *that much* pate in the intervening few months.

I promise this will be better than the sea urchin pate I inflicted upon all of you last year!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40