• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pour Moi Cognac for Women

Yup, you heard that right. Cognac for women.

gallery_2_2848_73278.jpg

I had a chance to try this last night, its very smooth, marketed as a VSOP, although the average age of the blended cognacs in it is 18 years old.

Its supposed to retail for $75. I think this is a bit high considering its a blended Cognac, and its being billed as a VSOP, going against Remy Martin VSOP, Martell VSOP, Courvosier VSOP, and Ferrand Ambre all at about $40 and Hine Rare on the high end of VSOP-grade cognacs at about $60.

Pour Moi's XO offering will be coming later this year.

JTE Spirits is the importer.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yup, you heard that right. Cognac for women.

Its supposed to retail for $75. I think this is a bit high considering its a blended Cognac, and its being billed as a VSOP...

I thought all cognacs are blended unless specified as single year or origin as a few of the cognac houses have been doing recently in obvious emulation of the successful marketing of single malt Scotch whiskeys.

Edited by Apicio (log)

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I think thats a general practice but not an exact guideline. There are certain rules they have to follow if they want to use the moniker "VS", "VSOP" and "XO" or "Napoleon". It's actually not permitted by French law to actually state the age of the Cognacs in a blend, but at bare minimum you can call a Cognac an XO even if the youngest brandy in the blend only 5 years old, though in reality no producer actually does this. Certain companies like Hine don't use those naming conventions.

There are no real standards on blending (in other words, how many Cognacs you put into a blend) or whether or not if you can call a brandy a specific type if its completely single barrel and statically aged. In fact some of them are starting to use the fractional Solera system as well.

http://www.american.edu/TED/cognac.htm

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host