• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a restaurant suggeston

In a couple of weeks my company will be issuing a sizeable bonus to most of its employees. I want to suggest a restaurant where we can drink, eat and forget work politics.

A suggestion was the Keg in Granville Island because my co-workers love their mixed drinks and good beer. Parking is decent and it's central to where most of us live. Prices seem decent for food and drink.

However, there was only one opposition to this particular Keg by one of our more popular staff member.

Another suggestion was Earls. Somehow I don't see this as being the most comfortable setting for my blue-collar co-workers.

From past parties this is what I think would be good:

- good variety of mixed drinks (including shooters) and beer

- wine selection is not an issue

- variety of good food with a sizeable portion and choice of appetizers for nibblers

- space for approximately 30+ seating with easy mingling option

- opened Sunday approximately 4pm and on (we tend to drink for a couple more hours after dinner)

- free parking and lots of them

- generally, a good atmosphere where we can hear each other talk and we can walk around to mingle and staff are relaxed and on the ball with drink orders.

The last party was hosted by Alexis, a Greek restaurant on Broadway and Vine (?) where we had privacy with the use of the large back room. This is a perfect type of setting except we want to upgrade with a more diverse menu.

Thanks for your input.

In a couple of weeks my company will be issuing a sizeable bonus to most of its employees.  I want to suggest a restaurant where we can drink, eat and forget work politics.

ICBC is it?

Anyhoo, it actually sounds like a classic CFD situation, and since you've ruled out the Keg on GI and Earls, you're pretty much left with the Cactus Club. The one on Broadway has a bar area which they might be able to rope off for you if you ask real nice. I'm guessing it'll be pretty much bursting at the seams with 30 though.

Hmmmmnnn ... sounds like a trip to the Number 5 Orange is in order.

- shooters? Check.

- beer? Check?

- lots of room? Depends on the time and day.

- room to mingle? Well, most of the guys will be in rapt attention from the extracurricular entertainment so the women will have lots of room anyways.

- good nibbling food? I suppose so.

Alright! It's set! See you there. ;)

I have a few suggestions: Balthazar in the West End, Bogart's on Broadway, and Shebeen in Gastown. All are reasonably priced, have good wine/cocktail food menus, and can set aside private spaces. Parking might be an issue though.

... a few suggestions: Balthazar in the West End, Bogart's on Broadway, and Shebeen in Gastown....

How about Cassis Bistro? Apparently they have a good cocktail list. :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Try the Sandbar on G.I.

Have the sushi.

We hada group in Nu for my 40th on a Sunday. Great setting, took the lounge, lots of food , by the water . Nice.

Just a warning that maybe this is not available for everyone? I tried to make a reservation for a group for my birthday (for a Monday night, calling 3 weeks + in advance) when Nu first opened and was told that they can't have more than 8 people together at a table, because of the layout, and that groups larger than 8 require arranging a set meal ahead of time. When I asked to have someone contact me with an example of a set meal, they said they would, but they never got back to me, and I couldn't get a hold of them because of their clogged phone lines at the time. I did get an apology from Leonard when he learned of this. But it may not be the easiest place to do a group event (unless you're making arrangements to take the entire restaurant, or you have some connections). Maybe they've ironed out the wrinkles now. And now they have their patio open on nice days too, so that's another potential area to stay separate from the rest of the restaurant, aside from the lounge. Nice place to have dinner with a small group though.

Steamworks was really on the ball for a group of 25 downstairs. Really comfy.

I've had great service at Kingston Taphouse and Grill (when going in small numbers), and I know that they have large groups there all the time.

Guu in Gastown would be a top pick for me for a group. Lots of funky cocktails, and Granville Island pitchers, and some Asian beers available. Maximum 15 on weekends, but no maximum on weekdays. I haven't brought in a big group yet, but I probably will one day (wanted to for this Monday, but all the Guu's are closing for some sort of meeting). (I've had a group at Alexis also, and they were great. If variety in food is an issue though, Guu might not be good if you have any unadventurous eaters in the group).

Same with Afghan Horseman. Great place for a group, from what I can tell, if you have a crowd who would find sitting on the floor fun, and who would enjoy that kind of food.

Edited to add: Oops! Didn't see the line about parking. Yah, parking is an issue at all the the ones I mentioned (except maybe Afghan Horsemen). I use transit when I'm drinking, so they're all pretty accesible by transit, if that helps.

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)

... a few suggestions: Balthazar in the West End, Bogart's on Broadway, and Shebeen in Gastown....

How about Cassis Bistro? Apparently they have a good cocktail list. :smile:

Clever cayenne! Unfortunately I think the room set up precludes the mingling element maxmillan was looking for...