• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Black Spot

Tim Hayward

My old Nan, a wiley poshrat of abiding low cunning, reckoned she could tell when someone was 'not long for this world'.

She said it was something like a smell but not (which made absolutely no sense to me, then or now).

But it did make me think about restaurants.

Why is it that some places open and you can just tell, right from the get-go that they're going to last just the blink of an eye before going under? A consultant friend refers to it as CTP (circling the plughole).

With some things (Fashion Cafe and Dans le Noir spring to mind) you're just staggered that the idea ever got out of the first meeting. (Note to marketeers: Yes, there is such a thing as a bad idea in a brainstorm). But what else? History, location, food, price?

What method of divination do you use to you tell that a place has had it?

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

When those who should know better on eGullet decide to create a whole thread dedicated to its potential demise? Good God, get out more. :rolleyes:

When those who should know better on eGullet decide to create a whole thread dedicated to its potential demise? Good God, get out more. :rolleyes:

Isn't it precisely because eGullet members get out so much that they are qualified to know when a restaurant stinks and is not long for this world?

When you can't understand what the waiter is saying and they can't understand you is always a bad sign.

A website for a soon to open restaurant/bar that waxes lyrical about it's chefs food etc , but also has a jobs section advertising for a head chef and a sous chef.

You would think i was making it up, i'm not :blink: