• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margarita... something

SweetSide

My husband is a HUGE margarita fan. He has requested a margarita dessert for Cinco de Mayo. In the past I have made a margarita semifreddo, a white chocolate margarita mousse, and a margarita mouse cake.

While he would take any of the above again, I'm looking for a new idea with the margarita theme. Not just plain "lime" either -- must be the whole shebang -- tequila too. Cheese(cake) is out -- only profanity can describe what he thinks of cheese. :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I used to have a recipe for a Margarita pie that was kind of like a key lime pie flavored with tequila and triple sec, and poured into a crumb crust made with pretzels (for the salt). It was always a hit.

I used to have a recipe for a Margarita pie that was kind of like a key lime pie flavored with tequila and triple sec, and poured into a crumb crust made with pretzels (for the salt). It was always a hit.

Ooooh oooh oooh... "used to have"?! His second favorite dessert is key lime pie. Digging the pretzel bit. Any chance it's still around (the recipe that is..) Not much time for me to be tinkering, but we're on to something good here...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Is this it? CLICK Or similar?

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

That seems to be the same recipe I used to have, except I used Joe & Nellie's Key Lime Juice instead of Persian limes. I get the J&N at Publix, but it's pretty much universally available, I think. It's really a yummy pie. :wub: My recipe was from "The Best Recipes from Bottles, Cans and Cartons" or somesuch book. It was one of the ones I lost in the fire. :sad:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

That seems to be the same recipe I used to have, except I used Joe & Nellie's Key Lime Juice instead of Persian limes. I get the J&N at Publix, but it's pretty much universally available, I think. It's really a yummy pie. :wub: My recipe was from "The Best Recipes from Bottles, Cans and Cartons" or somesuch book. It was one of the ones I lost in the fire. :sad:

:sad: Sorry about the fire. I've used the J&N as well -- I can get it here in Stop & Shop. But, I'm a sucker and when I can get the limes themselves, I like them better. Did you know they fit perfectly in a garlic press for squeezing...?

Thanks! I found a couple other recipes also. One with eggs just like a traditional key lime pie, so I'll have to see which one I'll try.

Mmmm, pie :wub:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Is this it? CLICK Or similar?

Very similar to that one. I actually got mine from a "Realime" advertisement, although I never used Realime, just regular lime juice. Mine calls for twice the amount of tequila -- 4 tablespoons, which, since the filling isn't cooked, is quite a bit. I like it that way, but you want to use good tequila if you use that much.

I have made the Margarita Chiffon Cake from the recipe on epicurious.com (originally from the September 1999 Bon Appetit) many times, and it always gets rave reviews. The first time I made it, I mistakenly doubled the amount of tequila and triple sec in the glaze (by accident, really!) and I have been making it that way ever since. The cake is not overly sweet, and the margarita taste comes through. I have served it with and without the strawberry compote - either way is fine.

Enjoy it on Cinco da mayo!

Ellen