• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore – Where to eat

altar-ego

Leaving for Baltimore tonight.. Looking for some fun things to do this weekend.. First and foremost I am looking for a place to crack crabs with a mallet.. Me and my girl have visions of tons of crabs sprawled out on a table and hammering away at them.. We drove through there a few weeks ago and found a decent place.. But it was really expensive.. Secondly we are looking for the best crab cakes in the city.. Third we are looking for anything else we cant miss..

Also what is a really great restaurant that we should go to Saturday night that would still have reservations?

Thanks

Best crab cakes? Easy-- Faidley's in Lexington Market.

It isn't the best time of the year for the mega-pile-of-crabs-on-newspapers experience. The crabs you get will probably be from down south.

And nowadays, they're ALWAYS expensive.

Oh yeah, hammers are for amateurs! :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

What what.. Amateur! Sir, how dare you, sir.. hehe.. Thanks for Faidley's.. My girls father sent us a shipment from them not too long ago.. I just remembered there name after you told me.. They were excellent. Saltines for breadcrumbs if I am not mistaken..

I will be arriving tonight.. So i think we are going to go to Brewers Art till like 2.. Then i think tomorow we are going to go to Faidleys.. Still looking for a place to go to smack crabs and a nice dinner tomorrow night.. Then i think sunday we are going to have breakfast somewhere, have lunch in Philadelphia a second lunch in New Brunswick New Jersey and be home for dinner..

So i still need a crab place, and a nice restaurant.

I will be arriving tonight.. So i think we are going to go to Brewers Art till like 2.. Then i think tomorow we are going to go to Faidleys.. Still looking for a place to go to smack crabs and a nice dinner tomorrow night..  Then i think sunday we are going to have breakfast somewhere, have lunch in Philadelphia a second lunch in New Brunswick New Jersey and be home for dinner..

So i still need a crab place, and a nice restaurant.

For your nice restaurant, Charleston might fit the bill. It's NewAmerican/Southern and generally considered among the best, if not the best, in Baltimore. There must be a thread on it here somewhere, though I haven't looked.

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

For crabs in the city, here are a couple of places:

http://www.obryckis.com/obr/stores/1/index.cfm - Old school

http://www.bobrooks.com/ - New school in gentrified neighborhood

For fine dining, I like Charleston as well. I also like Aldo's in Litle Italy for upscale (and pricy) Italian, but I've found it to be worth the price of admission.

http://www.aldositaly.com/recipes.html

Do NOT smack them!!! Treat them with the respect they deserve, even if they aren't the Bay's finest :wink:

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

• 1 month later...

Hey all, will be in Baltimore Memorial day weekend. Any rec.s for eating and drinking here? Thanks too much,

Chris

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Hey all, will be in Baltimore Memorial day weekend.  Any rec.s for eating and drinking here?  Thanks too much,

Chris

Poinnt: will be leaving Monday P.M., but parents will be back in future, so all rec.s are really welcome. Thanks again.

Chris

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Went to the Wharf Rat (bar) in Fell's Point a while ago--As I recall they have lots of non-domestic beers on tap, although I think they are more slanted to British brews.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We had dinner at Pazo last night. It was very good. Mediterranean small dishes, great winelist at resonable prices, personal pizzas and artisan breads from their woodfired oven. ALl very very good and original. The place itself is beautiful and the prices are resonable. I heartily recommend this restaurant.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Thanks all. I just got back into Jacksonville and my Dad and I had a great time. We went to Phillip's buffet for dinner. They served movie-theatre popcorn butter with the crab legs but the oysters were delicious and it was lots of fun.

Best,

Chris

We went to Phillip's buffet for dinner.  They served movie-theatre popcorn butter with the crab legs but the oysters were delicious and it was lots of fun.

Best,

Chris

?? Ouch.

Hmm, yes well what can I say? I am deadly sure there are better places in Baltimore, but the company (my Dad) made it magic. :smile:

• 3 months later...

I've just been asked for recs for Baltimore. (Funny how people think I know where to eat no matter if I've never been there before.) I'll take a lot of these suggestions, of course, but are there any new ones? And my friend is into "fine dining" too. Is there another thread I should be looking for?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

sorry, this isn't technically a reply for dining recs, but more just a musing on previous posts from last year (i don't remember reading them last year)-

1) i love john stevens. although, last time i went (june-ish?), i learned they got a new chef and changed their menu a bit. their crab soup was not quite as good as i remembered it, but their steamed shrimp and mussels, and crab cakes were still good. haven't tried the sushi though. and there are some good beer options, but for me, see number 3, below.

2) berger cookies. a friend who lives in fells brought some one time and the mrs. and i fell in love with them. they are fantastic, and if you run across them in a balmer store, buy them.

3) natty boh. i don't know what i can say about this that will do it justice. maybe i do have a soft spot for heileman beers (love me some old style when in chicago), or just for "local" beers (see old style, iron city, rainier), but there's something comforting about natty boh. maybe it's the sickly sweetness of the water, or mr. boh on the can. . .or maybe when i'm out in balmer, i like that i can walk into a bar (and say ouch), and have a great night out and spend only $10-15, all drinking natty boh. (aside- when i first moved out here from college in texas, i loved that asylum had a saturday night countdown with shiner bock. starting at 6, shiner was $.50 and price increased by $.50 every hour, topping off at like $3.50 or something like that for the rest of the night. sadly, shiner is no longer the beer used for the countdown, i don't remember what it is anymore. but, it was great, just being out of college, not having much extra money, but, get there early, and your done early and for cheap)

4) blue moon- they have some damn fine chorizo and eggs, and i do enjoy their biscuits and gravy. while they do seem crunchy and granola, you can find some fairly decent cooking for breakfast (note- their hours are weird, like, they aren't open in the afternoons, but are open all night).