• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore – Where to eat

altar-ego

The menu has lots of smoothies and organic items. Again, it's very good, but the ambience is one of a ultra-cool coffeehouse. No one was smoking a clove cigarette when I was there, however!

I really don't think they serve dinner, though!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Al, Rochelle,

You might want to try Caroline's Cafe. It's Jamaican (curries, jerks) and can be quite good. The Rastafarian owners (Caroline and her husband) are really nice-- you'll feel like you're eating at their house. It's totally hidden at 413 Penn St in the Ridgley's Delight neighborhood right next to the stadium (less than a 10 minute walk).

I might have to try this. Do they serve pre-game beers? :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Sounds like Caroline's and J. Patrick's may be my best bets near the stadium. I don't think we'll need much more than wings or jerk chicken and beers to satisfy before the game anyway.

Al, perhaps we will see you there.

I might have to try this. Do they serve pre-game beers? :biggrin:

Nope-- just a potent homemade ginger drink. But you'll walk past Pickles and Sliders on your way back to the park and can stop there for pre-game beers. Or better yet, cut over to the Wharf Rat or Max's on Pratt St. for better beer

Chris Sadler

Sounds like Caroline's and J. Patrick's may be my best bets near the stadium. I don't think we'll need much more than wings or jerk chicken and beers to satisfy before the game anyway.

Al, perhaps we will see you there.

If your coming in only for the game and just want wings and beers, you have plenty of options. Pickles Pub is right across from the stadium, as is DSX, Max's and The Wharf Rat. Over in Federal Hill (5 minute cab), hit Magerks (real Philly cheesesteaks), Mothers or Ropewalk Tavern.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what this menu item is?

"Boneless Young Chicken - $0.29"

It took us a good 6 months to build up the nerve to ask what it was.

An egg, of course.

Well, a deviled egg, but you're right. And I know, I'm an idiot. I thought it might be some weird Irish dish I had never heard of. :laugh: Joe's got a great sense of humor.

Over in Federal Hill (5 minute cab), hit Magerks (real Philly cheesesteaks), Mothers or Ropewalk Tavern.

Well, I agree that the food is fine at all these places, but for a woman, I wouldn't recommend Magerk's or Mothers after 9pm. As long as you are going for just before the game, they're fine. If you go anywhere afterwards, though, I don't know that I would recommend Magerk's unless you have suitable male companionship. Or if you enjoy being groped by random strangers. Of course, it's a Wednesday, so it might not be so bad. Sorry, I'm just not a big fan. Mothers might be fine on a Wednesday. They do have Blue Moon on tap, which is nice. And I do enjoy the Ropewalk.

Rochelle, my earlier post may have been a bit misleading, sorry! J. Patricks isn't really that close to the stadium, more like a 5 min cab ride. But it is worth checking out at some point, IMHO.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Well, I will be with my esteemed spouse and another male friend, so I think we will be okay.

We're planning to make a day of it...hit the aquarium, wander around the harbor, and then grab a bite before the game. The idea was to drive in and park the car only once, and then do everything else on foot. We're all reasonably young and spry, not afraid of a little walking, but we'll be tired after being on our feet and will probably want to stick close to the stadium.

So maybe we should just hit the Wharf Rat.

I think I'm overintellectualizing this search for cheap pre-game food. :rolleyes:

I think I'm overintellectualizing this search for cheap pre-game food. :rolleyes:

Me too.

You could use the water taxi by the way. It'll take you to Fort McHenry and, more importantly, Fells Point. :biggrin:

-- A.B.

Update: While wandering around downtown I managed to herd my party towards Faidley's. I immediately purchased a single crab cake which the three of us shared. My spouse remarked, "this is what I'm always hoping to get when I order a crab cake" after one bite. It's a beautiful baseball lump of sweet, crabby goodness with a wispy batter holding it together on the outside. Yes.

That was our snack. Later we stopped in the Wharf Rat for wings and beers and salad as our dinner. Not bad, and the price was right, but it's not really worth a special detour unless you're a beer fan.

Quite true about the Harford Road trifecta. Love the subs and sammies at Mastellone's. Good stuff. And, the fresh mozzerella.

A co-worker once brought me a marshmallow donut from Fenwick. Totally insane.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any tasting menus and/or chef's tables offered in the Baltimore area?  The only one I am familiar with is the tasting menu being offered at Charleston.

Thanks,

~LARS~

Check out Cork's in Federal Hill. They have a "third Thursday" wine and food pairing where the Chef eats with the guests and he explains his thoughts on how he concluded which food and wine to present. I attended my first one last week, and the wine flowed freely and the food was magnificent. It was really a great time. We sat at a long table, and the Chef explained each course, as well as asking our impressions on the wines. Everyone was very friendly. I'll definately be attending another when my schedule allows it. Check out their website:

http://www.corksrestaurant.com/

Here's the menu from the one I attended:

Third Thursday Winter Reds 20 January 2005

Reception: Deep Creek Cellars "American" Zinfandel 2001

1st Course: Zinfandels

Cline "Ancient Vines" California Zin 2003

Hendry Winery "Block 7" Napa Valley Zin 2002

Rosenblum "Rockpile Road Vineyard" Dry Creek Valley Zin 2002

Country Pate with Black Truffle and Mixed Fruit Jam

2nd Course: Syrahs

Turnbull "Oakville" Napa Valley Estate Syrah 2003

Rosenblum "England-Shaw Vineyard" Solano County Syrah 2002

L'Ecole No. 41 "Seven Hills Vineyard" Walla Walla Valley Syrah 2002

Cassoulet with Crispy Leg of Duck Confit

3rd Course: Petite Syrah

Bogle Vineyards "California" Petite Sirah 2002

David Brude "Central Coast" Petite Sirah 2003

Consilience "Santa Barbara County" Petite Sirah 2001

American Artisanal Cheese Fondue

4th Course: Dessert

Chocolate Creme Brulee with Hazelnut Biscotti

Jerry Pellegrino, Chef/Owner

Chris Coker, Sommelier

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any tasting menus and/or chef's tables offered in the Baltimore area?  The only one I am familiar with is the tasting menu being offered at Charleston.

Thanks,

~LARS~

I just looked at the Baltimore Foodies website, and saw that you have Cork's in your links. After meeting the Chef, I think he would probably host one of the events if he's got the time. I'm thinking of joining the foodies, but I don't know if I'll be able to make some of the events because of my schedule. How many members do you have so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. A couple of friends and I are doing a quick day trip to Baltimore on Sunday for an audition, and we'd like to find a fun place that's not too far off the beaten track to eat afterward.

The specifics:

It'll be between the lunch and dinner hours (probably around 4pm), so needs to be open during that time.

We don't want to spend a ton of money.

Two out of the three of us are not all that fond of crabcakes, so it would need to have other delicious items on the menu.

It could also be accessible from the drive back to New York City.

Any type of food is fine with us! We all eat meat, dairy and dessert.

Thanks so much!

K

Edited to clarify that Sarah LOVES crabcakes. It's the other two of us who are the party poopettes.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Brewer's Art, the bar menu is quality and their house beer is great...try the beer braised four hour pork.

Brewer's Art

That looks fabulous, but isn't open till 5 on Sunday - we need to get in a little before that to get the rental car back in time.

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I've always like Donna's for a casual afternoon meal. They're in the Mount Vernon section of Baltimore which has a nice historic feel, plus there's the lewd statue (when viewed from certain angles) of an impressive George Washington. Good sandwiches, salads, soups, decent wines by the glass.

Donna's

-- A.B.

This is kind of a tough request...your choices would be substantially better starting at 5, but here goes. There are a few places that I can recommend that I think are open at that hour. Of course, I'd call to confirm.

My first choice for a sit down, tablecloth sort of place is Abacrombie Fine Foods. You can get an idea of the food served and the prices at http://www.abacrombie.net. Make reservations, they cater to the symphony crowd.

I think that Wine Market may also be open, it is on Fort Avenue in Locust Point.

And, there are several ethnic places that are open nearly all the time, like Chinatown Cafe on Park Avenue, Dukem Ethiopian on Maryland Avenue and Nam Kang (Korean) on Maryland Avenue.

You may also have luck in a neighborhood like Fells Point where there are lots of bars and taverns. I understand that Kooper's Tavern on Thames serves up a decent burger and around the corner, the Wharf Rat serves decent pub grub.

And, fyi, I think SoBo (a good choice) may be closed from 4-6 on Sundays...

Hope this is helpful.