• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore – Where to eat

altar-ego

I would love sort of an across the board hook up on where is good to eat in Baltimore.

Ethnic stuff in particular.

Where's the best sushi, best ethiopian, best cuban, best peruvian, best soul food, best vegan, best etc. etc. BEST BAR for Chrissakes!!!

Help me out people.

thanks,

ryan

Am not in Baltimore enough to say "best", but here are several suggestions that I think worthy of your exploration. For a fun lunch or night, we hit Bertha's. Throw some darts, drink some decent draft and then sit down to a big plate of mussels with the mustard dip.

Several good pubs - we really like the Wharf Rat beer. There is a location in Fell's Point and one somewhere near the Harbor, I believe.

If price is no object and service not a huge deal, try the Black Olive in Fell's Point. Greek seafood and very well prepared. Little Italy obviously has a number of touristy restaurants, but we have always had a good meal a Caio Bella. Some really good Greek restaurants on the east side. Several great Greek markets too.

Lexington Market is always fun to go in and poke around for fresh seafood - stay away from Phillips in general. Overpriced and spotty quality.

All for now - will try again when my addled brain isn't as fried as it is now.

Too tired to check out tjaehnigen's link... but here are my favorites...

For ethnic, my favorite place of all in Baltimore is Tio Pepes (Spain) and it is authentic and wonderful. Not a trendy tapas place, not that I don't love those too. It is old school dark, a little romantic. Very Spanish...

For all around food and ambiance, I really like Spike & Charlies... they also have, Joy America, and Atlantic... both great as well.

For Italian, I used to love Sabatino's, Vaccaros for incredible Canolli.

Those are my favorites.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Ryan,

Pretty broad question, but I'll give you a few of my faves:

AFGHAN: The Helmand

INDIAN: Ambassador Dining Room

SUSHI: Edo in Timonium, Matsuri in Federal Hill

MEXICAN/S. AMERICAN: A dozen or so places in upper Fells Point along Broadway and Eastern Ave. Not much English spoken in these places. Also the taco truck usually parked on Broadway.

BURGER: Duda's in Fell's Point

BBQ: Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville

BEER: Wharf Rat for English hand-pulled, Brewer's Art for Belgian style.

SEAFOOD: Black Olive

ITALIAN (Not traditional): Vespa

MONEY-NO-OBJECT: Charleston

MODERN/FUSION: Soigne/Ixia/Red Maple/Joy America

BRUNCH: Golden West Cafe in Hampden (New Mexican flavor mostly)

I can't help you with some of your categories, mostly from lack of familiarity. But I can say that Baltimore does seem to be lacking in certain areas such as vegan, Chinese, other ethnic (at least compared to D.C., NYC, etc.) Good Luck,

Darin

• 3 months later...

Okay, I'm planning on visiting a friend in Baltimore tomorrow and Sunday,

just inside 695, roughly where Catonsville is.

recommendations in the area for:

good, relatively cheap food

good, really cheap food

bar to watch Sunday Eagles game

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Top of your list should be the Lexington Market.

Top of your list for the Lexington Market should be Faidley Seafood for what just about everone considers to be the best of the best, crabcake wise. Excellent raw bar too.

If Faidley is open Sunday, and if they have a TV and if you don't mind standing and if they'll tune to the Eagles game, it would be a great choice for that too.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

As far as drinking/possible game watching, try the Wharf Rat near Camden Yards - 206 W. Pratt St.

Excellent beer - they brew their own and have a nice selection of cask-conditioned ales, as well as some interesting experiments. Last time I was there they had a lightish beer (can't remember whether it was a lager or pilsner) that had been brewed with a little cumin, which gave it just a bit of whang and made it extra good with the right food.

Their pub grub was entirely acceptable (fish and chips, shepherd's pie, plus the ubiquitous crab cake), and they also had enough TVs that they'd be able to show multiple games. There's a location in Fells Point as well, at 801 S. Ann St. - they don't brew on-site at that one, but it's the same beer, and presumably the same food.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

As far as drinking/possible game watching, try the Wharf Rat near Camden Yards - 206 W. Pratt St. 

Excellent beer - they brew their own and have a nice selection of cask-conditioned ales, as well as some interesting experiments.  Last time I was there they had a lightish beer (can't remember whether it was a lager or pilsner) that had been brewed with a little cumin, which gave it just a bit of whang and made it extra good with the right food. 

Their pub grub was entirely acceptable (fish and chips, shepherd's pie, plus the ubiquitous crab cake), and they also had enough TVs that they'd be able to show multiple games. There's a location in Fells Point as well, at 801 S. Ann St. - they don't brew on-site at that one, but it's the same beer, and presumably the same food.

The family of a good friend of mine actually owns the Wharf Rat -- the Olivers take their beer VERY seriously. The food is good; the beer even better.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

i would certainly go to Little Italy. it has been there forever, and is still populated by italian-americans. my grandfather started going to a restaurant there back in the 40s or 50s, and my family still returns when we're in the area. it's actually not half bad. but i don't remember the name. i'll search on it, as i think it's around somewhere.

edit: it's called sabatino's. i recently had an excellent veal chop at sabatino's.

Edited by tommy (log)

i would certainly go to Little Italy. it has been there forever, and is still populated by italian-americans. my grandfather started going to a restaurant there back in the 40s or 50s, and my family still returns when we're in the area. it's actually not half bad. but i don't remember the name. i'll search on it, as i think it's around somewhere.

nothing against italians and italian-descended americanos, but why would i go to little italy when i've got south philly?

if philly didn't have a strong italian and related population, i'd consider it.

then again, my favorite part of being a tourist is going to visit neighborhoods.

( in NYC trips, still haven't been to top of ESB, or seen the Statue, although I wandered thru part of Rock Center while I was walking by, and did check out the Met some Sunday. but usually, i just wander thru various parts of the city that interest me, wander between places on foot.)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

One of my favorite bars anywhere is John Steven's in Fells Point. Great selection of beers, colorful waitstaff and customers, and they do a good job on steaming up some fresh shrimp and/or clams. The place has a ton of character. They have a sushi "bar" of sorts there as well. While it certainly is nothing authentic, they do a decent job of making california roll and variations thereof. Usually the person behind the bar is real cranky-- give em a decent tip and they'll perk up a bit. When I think of Bawlmore, I think of this joint.

And yes, if you want crabcakes, go to Faidley's at Lexington Market. Spend the extra $$$ and get the all LUMP.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 4 months later...

I'm doing an overnite in John Waters's favorite city and--along with a crony--will be looking for some fine, casual food. Don't want the "best" restaurant in town. Not the hottest. No view necessary. Good local grub--seafood maybe..a townie-only place would be nice.

Would really appreciate some suggestions. Hitting Club Charles after so close would be nice.

abourdain

I'm not sure I agree that "Eats" can not be fine dining.

But crab cakes you should have. And they should come from Faidley's in Baltimore's Lexington market. The gold standard for crab cakes.

Problem is Faidley's closes at 5 PM, 5:30 PM on weekends. They open at 9 AM though, and there is absoluting nothing wrong with crab cakes for breakfast.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm a big fan of Spike and Charlie's it's Eclectic American cuisine. Nice atmosphere, great food, killer deserts. It's not too casual, but not to fancy either. Comfortable, I'd say.

Address is:1225 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Phone is: (410) 752-8144

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

General consensus, at least for crabcakes, seems to be Faidley's in Lexington Market, but it's only open until 5pm. Most of the stuff around the Inner Harbor is either "fine dining" or chains - Fells Point or Little Italy might be better bets for food.

I can't personally speak to anything but the brewpubs, but the Wharf Rat's beers are consistently good, and DeGroen's down in Fells Point brews a tasty Marzen.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The Brewer's Art. Maybe your best option close to Club Charles. They brew really, really good Belgian-style beers, especially "Resurrection". You can go to the dungeon-like basement and just drink the beer or head upstairs where the food is very good (not sure if it's as casual as you want, though).

Definitely Faidley's for crab cakes. The best. Get the jumbo-lump, of course. As mentioned, you'll have to go during the day.

Peter's Inn is a great local's spot. It's in Fell's Point, up Ann St. Look for the motorcycle. Looks like a dive bar, but the food is great. While you're in Fells Point, go to the Wharf Rat. They usually have a wide selection of the beers they brew on tap, which as hannnah says, are consistently good.

The Helmand -- an Afghan restaurant in the Mt. Vernon area. Very good, fairly casual and inexpensive. In the same general vicinity as Club Charles.

I hesitate to suggest Martick's to you (it's French, but the quality can be so-so), but it's a Baltimore legend. Go to 214 W. Mulberry St, ring the bell and knock hard on the door (there's no exterior door handle). It can be an odd experience (inside, it's casual, but looks like the place time forgot), but maybe you'll get a story out of it.

Steer clear of Little Italy (mostly overpriced and mediocre) and the Inner Harbor.

Edited by cjsadler (log)

Chris Sadler

mathew's pizzeria in little italy ranks as one of the prototypical red-and-white checkered waxy tablecloth places in my book. my dad's family is from baltimore and ive spent myriad days munching on classic pizza. as lowbrow as you can go, order at a counter from a pizza-faced teenager (pun intended) and anticipate a pie generously topped with nostalgia. its a devil of a place to find and has the oddest hours. ive not been in say, 10 years.

anyone ever heard of/been to this place? does it still exist?

if its gone i will feel as though a piece of my heart and soul has been torn asunder.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

A lot of good suggestions above. Faidley's is the bomb-- a baseball sized hunk of pure lump. I agree with Hannnah on the Wharf Rat as well for a good Fells Point bar. Check out John Stevens down the block too. It's probably my favorite Fells Point bar-- good selection of beer, and some tasty freshly steamed clams, shrimp, and oysters. You'll see some great local color there.

Hmm. I'm going to an O's game tonight. Might have to get over to John Stevens afterwards...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

G&M in Linthicum (near the airport) - awesome crab cakes, no filler. The traditional Baltimore way, I understand, is to eat them with saltines. A real dive. Check out the "ambiance" and menu at www.gandmcrabcakes.com

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

GREAT fried chicken at Tyrone's. There's one on North, not far from Club Charles. Late night, after everything closes, Gampy's, right down the street from CC, is a real scene and has admirable, even, gasp, healthy drunk food. And do not miss drinking at The Mount Royal Tavern, by the Art Institute. There's also a place that's just called "Bar" down in Fell's Point that must be experienced. There's some great Baltimore bar-crawling info in the message boards over at moderndrunkardmagazine.com, which is one of the great websites in existence. THE greatest for the drinking man or woman. Have fun in Charm City!

GREAT fried chicken at Tyrone's. There's one on North, not far from Club Charles. Late night, after everything closes, Gampy's, right down the street from CC, is a real scene and has admirable, even, gasp, healthy drunk food. And do not miss drinking at The Mount Royal Tavern, by the Art Institute. There's also a place that's just called "Bar" down in Fell's Point that must be experienced. There's some great Baltimore bar-crawling info in the message boards over at moderndrunkardmagazine.com, which is one of the great websites in existence. THE greatest for the drinking man or woman. Have fun in Charm City!

Charm City is quite the drinker's paradise. If you get to the Wharf Rat anytime before 7pm, you can experience "3 for 3": three beers for three dollars (home brewed varieties only). It's customary (I think it may even be mandatory) for each person to order their own three beers-- no sharing.

Chris Sadler

Unless you're really looking for a obscure hole in the wall, and assuming you get your crab cake fix at Faidley's, I would second the recommendation of The Brewer's Art. It's far enough away from the inner harbor that it stays off the tourists' radar, and it's close to Club Charles.

The new(ish) chef is doing interesting food, matched with well-thought-out wine list, and of course the best beers in Baltimore. And knowing how seriously you take your frites, I'd add that their garlic rosemary fries are local legends.

Have fun chef. Hopefully your visit will convince you that "Baltimore sucks" no more. (K.C.)