• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore – Where to eat

altar-ego

One of the best crabcakes near BWI is a place called Timbuktu http://www.timbukturestaurant.com and would meet what you are seeking – you can get everything from a sandwich to a fancy dinner. Not a fancy place so no need to dress up.

If they like Italian food there is a place not too far off the beaten bath call Olive Grove http://oliveg.com. Again – varied menu and prices and no need to dress up.

Don't know if your group would be willing to try a Thai restaurant but Little Spice is a good Thai restaurant near BWI http://www.littlespicethairestaurant.co

Arundel Mills Mall is close to BWI and has a number of chain restaurants that a lot of people like and Bobby Flay Burgers is there too.

A fancier option for those who have a night they want to go out, send them to Elkridge Furnace Inn. Good food and ambiance. https://www.elkridgefurnaceinn.com

Hope this helps and you have a great time.

you absolutely must go to R&R Taqueria near BWI Airport (in Elkridge?). Ultra-authentic, utterly delicious Mexico City cuisine...in a gas station. It's worth the trip.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Grace Garden in Odenton is just a bit SW of BWI and I understand is considered one of the finest places around to have some Chinese food, if your party wants some of that. I myself have not eaten there but the place is thought by some folks to be equivalent to very good places (or even better) in NY or even SF. There are two menus - the trick is to order off the "Chinese" menu; or alternatively speak with the wait staff or the chef. The price-to-performance ratio should be very good.

http://gracegardenchinese.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22grace+garden%22+odenton+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by huiray (log)

Awesome, thanks, those are exactly the kind of places I am looking for.

Chris, a friend in Maryland just tipped me off to another place that I think your group will enjoy, The Stanford Grill www.thestanfordgrill.com. My friend said, "They refer to themselves as a scratch kitchen and they are known for their Woodfire Grilled rotisserie chicken and ribs. I had the chicken and it was amazing – even more amazing was their Red Velvet cake which was made red by adding Molly Dooker wine – a decadent indulgence."

• 1 year later...

Sadly, PABU and Lamill coffee shop at the Four Seasons are now closed. Lamill still exists on the west coast. They made pour over coffee that is like the kind I make at home, much better than the crap they have free at the Four Seasons. PABU was an Asian fusion that had about 1000 different sake offerings by region in Japan, and excellent food. Both of these places closed on the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be in Elkridge, MD July 18-21. I would love some suggestions on where to get crab cakes that have little filler and uses MD crabs or at least US crabs. Some of the places I've found include Faidley's, Timbuktu, G&M, The Edgewater Restaurant, Annapolis Seafood Market, Olive Grove. Are there any others that I should check out? I will have a car and am willing to explore but would rather not go any where in the Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, etc. area. Since I will be on my own during the day on Saturday, I'm a bit hesitant to go to Lexington Market by myself. Am I being over cautious? I would also like suggestions for pit beef sandwiches. I've gotten mixed reviews on Chaps. We are planning to go to Pioneer on our way to Elkridge from Cleveland. I like to take the scenic route so we'll be taking US40 as much as possible. Any other pit beef places worth seeking out? Sunday will be a lazy, let's drive around and see what we can see. A friend recommended Bull on the Beach. It's an Ocean City place with a location in Bel Air, MD. We're thinking of going there, again taking a scenic route.

Also any ideas for ethnic and "foodie" markets that are in the general vicinity of Elkridge. I've heard that the Sysco around there is open to the public and has a bunch of kitchenware. Also I heard that H Mart, which is close to Pioneer Pit Beef is very cool. Thanks for any help.

Take a nice drive out over the Bay Bridge and head for The Narrows.  It's been a couple of years since I was last there, but I'd always found their crab cakes to be amongst the best in the region.  Their cream of crab soup is nice too.  (But not so much their Maryland crab/veggie soup) 

Faidley's - meh.  IMO. 

Consider looking at theminx's guide to area dining.

Regarding pit beef - p.s. Pioneer is (or was, the last I knew of it) cash only, BTW.

p.p.s.  I see you also posted on another forum.  :-) 

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Lisi said:

Can't believe nobody here has suggested Freddy´s BBQ Joint yet ;)

Maybe because that's a fictional place on a TeeVee show situated in DC but using a stripped-down vacant place in B'more?

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

if you're heading for the Baltimore Inner Harbor, it is hopefully not much of a surprise to hear that pretty much everything in and around fits the description of "tourist trap."  eateries surrounding the waterfront are high priced, minimal quality, bam-bam-we-don't-care.  including all the 'famous' names you'll see there.

on a recent ball game trip, we stumbled over:

Luna del Sea

300 West Pratt Street

it's plunk dead amid a bunch of fast food joints - diagonal to the Convention Center - a short 3 blocks off the waterfront.

it was busy, not mobbed.  this could change depending on what's going on at the Convention Center - which is just diagonal ....

emphasis on seafood - but full menu - burgers to pasta to poultry to beef.

friendly staff, very good food.  priced much more toward average vs. the 'stick-em-up, Tourist!' style you'll find in the Inner Harbor proper.

it's on our "go back" list.