• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Shrimp Butler: how did we live without this?

Here it is: the Shrimp Butler!

SAFETY: No more sharp knife

TIME SAVINGS: Peeling is much quicker and vein is removed or exposed for quick, easy removal

QUALITY OF CUT:Clean perfect cut right down the center of shrimp and every ounce of shrimp meat is preserved, unlike the ripping, tearing effect of plastic stick tools 

VERSATILITY: Allows you to cook with shell on or off, and you can split raw or cooked shrimp with The Butler.

from Cooking.com

Designed to eliminate the hassle of peeling and deveining shrimp, this kitchen accessory works by a single crank of the handle. Out come your shrimp, filleted and deveined, ready to cook. Leave the shell on if you prefer, or use the discarded shells to make a flavorful broth.

So, filleted and deveined, huh? :rolleyes:

Would you buy this for $30? :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Here it is: the Shrimp Butler!
SAFETY: No more sharp knife

TIME SAVINGS: Peeling is much quicker and vein is removed or exposed for quick, easy removal

QUALITY OF CUT:Clean perfect cut right down the center of shrimp and every ounce of shrimp meat is preserved, unlike the ripping, tearing effect of plastic stick tools 

VERSATILITY: Allows you to cook with shell on or off, and you can split raw or cooked shrimp with The Butler.

from Cooking.com

Designed to eliminate the hassle of peeling and deveining shrimp, this kitchen accessory works by a single crank of the handle. Out come your shrimp, filleted and deveined, ready to cook. Leave the shell on if you prefer, or use the discarded shells to make a flavorful broth.

So, filleted and deveined, huh? :rolleyes:

Would you buy this for $30? :huh:

ABSOLUTELY ! In a minute........

I HATE dealing with shrimp and avoid buying small ones because of it. ($$$ lost)

If there was a device where I could insert the shrimp, pull a lever and out pop clean shrimp.............

HELL YES !

That having been said, does it really work? Kinda hard to tell from the bogus little animation............ :huh:

The last couple of times we bought shrimp at the supermarket they were deveined but not peeled. I'd imagine that they were done with a similar device (though I don't much see the point of actually buying one for use in the home). They did have a nice clean cut, and were not brutally mangled like I've seen done with those cheapo deveiners, fwiw.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

A friend of mine was once involved in the development of an industrial shrimp peeling machine. It basically worked by by slicing the head off then blowing high pressure air up he other end to dislodge the meat. When it worked it was wonderful. When it did not it sprayed the lab with shrimp bits.

He ate an awful lot of shrimp that project

That having been said, does it really work? Kinda hard to tell from the bogus little animation............  :huh:

Yeah, I can't tell what's going on there. Looks like a tiny amusement park ride for shrimp.

Wheeeeeeee!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I suspect the EZ-peel shrimp common found in our grocery stores has been subjected to a similar device as well.

And I must say, I'm growing quite fond of the EZ-peel shrimp, particularly when it's on sale for $2.99 a pound. With a quick 10 minute brining step, this stuff is pretty decent.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites