• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine to serve with Smoked Brisket

hazardnc

I am giving a party this weekend and will be serving smoked brisket Texas-style, smoked sausage and ribs. Can some wine experts tell me which wines to serve my Washington state guests?

I'd suggest you also have some beer iced down in the fridge.

You know, just in case.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That is exactly the question we asked John Gerum of West Coast Wine Education a sommelier (www.wcwed.com).

The general direction for ribs was to Cabernet Sauvignon or real California Zinfandel (the red kind not blush) but in either case, the lighter the oak, the better.

If you can find it in your area, an Australian Shiraz is good direction for beef brisket or any beef steaks.

Good luck and enjoy!

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

I'd suggest you also have some beer iced down in the fridge.

You know, just in case.

no worries there - will ice down some Shiner Bock. Beer, I know, wine...not so much :rolleyes:

Well, I realize this is frequently my answer to everything but I am going to say a Kabinett-level dry Riesling.

Reason being that Sausage and Ribs, while Texan, are pork-based and most closely resemble German food.

For the brisket, I'm gonna go with a Pinot Noir.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I second the beer! But also, if your guests are from Washington, I agree that a moderate-bodied shiraz/syrah would go well with the smoky flavors, particularly if your sausage has any anise or pepper in it. Let us know how the party goes!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I second the beer!  But also, if your guests are from Washington, I agree that a moderate-bodied shiraz/syrah would go well with the smoky flavors, particularly if your sausage has any anise or pepper in it.  Let us know how the party goes!

If you can find it, sparkling shiraz will fill the bill, and be a crowd pleaser as well as a conversation piece.

I second the beer!  But also, if your guests are from Washington, I agree that a moderate-bodied shiraz/syrah would go well with the smoky flavors, particularly if your sausage has any anise or pepper in it.  Let us know how the party goes!

If you can find it, sparkling shiraz will fill the bill, and be a crowd pleaser as well as a conversation piece.

I can get this at Total Wine here

Omni Sparkling Shiraz Australia

hmmmmm, wouldn't riesling be the classic pairing here?

Well, I think some of the key words here are "smoked" and "Texas-style."

I'm guessing from these hints that the sausage may be pretty spicy and herbal, might even include sun-dried tomatoes. And the brisket and ribs may have a spicy tomato/brown sugar/poblano sauce, or a chile/mustard/pepper rub--not to mention the flavors that slow smoking impart. And what will the side dishes be? Slow-cooked pinto beans with smoked hamhocks and poblano, perhaps? Corn on the cob with a dusting of chili powder?

hazardnc, can you tell us a little more about how the meats will be prepared, and what will be served with them?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Beer is the obvious choice.

If you've gotta have wine, zinfindel is the obvious choice.

But as an alternative, consider an Aregentine malbec.

I would agree "sneaky"

a big zin--even better beer.

The problem is not the smoked meat--it is the sauce!

(and the spice).

They would overwhelm most wines.

But if the meat is really good :wink: --then no sauce would be required and the wine options open up a bit.

Beer is the obvious choice.

If you've gotta have wine, zinfindel is the obvious choice.

But as an alternative, consider an Aregentine malbec.

I would agree "sneaky"

a big zin--even better beer.

The problem is not the smoked meat--it is the sauce!

(and the spice).

They would overwhelm most wines.

But if the meat is really good :wink: --then no sauce would be required and the wine options open up a bit.

I am cheating and ordering the brisket and sausage from Texas b/c I never learned to make it at home as well as the pros can do it.

The brisket is coming from Kreuz and it has a dry rub and is served sans sauce.

The sausage is hot, smoked beef sausage

The ribs will be smoked pork babyback ribs

Expect plenty of chili powder, cumin, paprika and garlic in the rub.

well, if the brisket is being served without a sauce, and it is essentially smoked meat, i still say riesling or beer. spicey food matched with high alcohol, big, oaky wine isn't such a good match imho.

Couple respondents above clearly know about the magic of German Rieslings and smoked foods -- a world-class combination widely recognized among wine enthusiasts. Often the smoked foods served this way in Europe are milder: freshwater fish, cheeses. With something like brisket though, they still work and make a sophisticated combo. While often I use Kabinett-weight wines with food as Jason suggested, for stronger foods the more concentrated wines (higher "must" weight), e.g. Spaetlese weight, serve well. OR even heavier, but with recent strong vintages some Auslesen have been outright syrupy. (Don't think "sweet" here, or you miss the point of these wines: these are about sweet-acid balance, like Champagne, or lemon juice. Also, you are much safer with German Rieslings: foreign approximations such as from the US are fewer both in number and in success rate.)

Certainly older Spaetlesen or even Auslesen would work great with pork sausages and pork ribs. I was simply thinking that on price, with a whole bunch of folks eating, they might want to go with some recent Kabinetts. A 2004-er or 2005-er Spaetlese might need a few more years. A 2001-er or a 1999-er would be very nice indeed. Not cheap though -- sort of defeats the purpose of a down-home type of meal if the wines are $40+ a bottle.

Rebel Rose's suggestion of a Syrah for the brisket sounds nice as well.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Go for a Rhone syrah instead of a New World Shiraz. More smokiness and meatiness with better acidity.

A fine bottle of St. Joseph or Hermitage would be lovely... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Go for a Rhone syrah instead of a New World Shiraz.  More smokiness and meatiness with better acidity.

A fine bottle of St. Joseph or Hermitage would be lovely... :smile:

Hey Katie

My family dined at Amada on a recent trip to Philly - I LOVED it!

I've had great success with German Rieslings. The smokey element of the food really enhances the fruit in Riesling.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

That is exactly the question we asked John Gerum of West Coast Wine Education a sommelier (www.wcwed.com).

The general direction for ribs was to Cabernet Sauvignon or real California Zinfandel (the red kind not blush) but in either case, the lighter the oak, the better. 

If you can find it in your area, an Australian Shiraz is good direction for beef brisket or any beef steaks.

Good luck and enjoy!

Brian

I'd disagree and go with a Rhone. The smokiness of the food works extremely well with the roasted bacon fat like quality of Cote Rotie, Hermitage, or Crozes Hermitage. Cabernet Sauvignon in my experiences is ually overwhelmed by this type of cuisine.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The brisket is coming from Kreuz and it has a dry rub and is served sans sauce.

Yes, but at Kreuz, there are bottles of Tabasco, or Tapatio, or other similar hot sauce on every table. And they are drizzled liberally over the meat with each bite.

And don't forget to have a side of pickled jalapenos.

So whatever you serve, it'll have to stand up to some heat.

(Maybe you could try two or three of the suggestions, and get back with us as to what worked best.)

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've had great success with German Rieslings. The smokey element of the food really enhances the fruit in Riesling.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Rieslings are great with smoked meats in general. I love the pairing.

However we are talking some serious bbq here and the flavors are just too big and spicey IMOP.

There's a reason that beer is the beverage of choice for so many aficionados.

Why fight it?

I think that food like this will just overpower most every wine under the sun.