• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copenhagen

reggie_212

Thanks Poots/Brian! Do you want me to bring you anything? I mean, I've given up all hope of limiting myself to the airline allotment of two suitcases, what with the bulky winter sweaters, boots and now, apparently, an entire portable Thanksgiving dinner. (I completely agree about Netto. I start crying just walking into that place).

I have a good reason to be there -- working for Carlsberg, visiting my boyfriend, but like you, I'm wicked scared of the winter. It will be my first as well, although I was there once for a short time in January and was kind of alarmed to see a sunset at 2:00 p.m. Then I was told I was lucky to see a sunset at all, usually it is more like the sky going from gray to dark gray to black. Oh boy.

Chris thanks for the offer but you don't need to bring me anything. I've tried to go native unlike my friends who have closets filled with memories of home(read: mac & cheese, canned soups and the like) :wink: I feel bad too because Netto's so bad.....and it's owned by my company, Maersk. I shop mostly at Irma, i think it's the best i've been to here. Super Brugsen isn't completely bad either. The only Netto i go to is by Kongens Have(King's Garden) because it's a Daogn(spelling) Netto which means it's open till around 10 or 11 at night, which isn't so abnormal back in the states but here it's extremely out of the ordinary. I don't know if it's SAS or just my luck, but every time i fly home or back here i have a 'Heavy' sticker on my suitcase and although they Do say something to me they never bother me about paying more or taking anything out.

I noticed that 'wicked' in your post....are you from Mass :wink: i went to college up there and being from Jersey i wasnt used to all the wickeds being thrown around in daily conversation. haha

--Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Okay, Brian, but let me know if you need any canned cream of mushroom soup! Thanks for the tip on the "midnight Netto" although I apologize for insulting a Maersk subsidiary. Have you tried the ISO on Vesterbrogade, just a little west of the main train station? I think it's nicer than the Irma's and Super Brugsens that we have out on the west side.

Be sure to post when you find out about the turkey. I'm apprehensive about this after a story from Laurie and Mamster (site manager for the Pacific NW forum) about an american family in France, many years ago, who tried to find a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, and ended up with...a whole swan.

And, although I spent several years in upstate NY and PA, I think that "wicked" snuck into my last post because I randomly heard it in three different conversations here in Seattle in the last week. Maybe it's been imported, along with Rolling Rock beer?

• 1 month later...

Okay, any Københavners interested in in making a Thanksgiving dinner....

Slagter Lund is where I'll be ordering whole turkeys. 75 DKK per kg or 105 DKK per kg stuffed. They say an unstuffed 4-5 kg turkey will feed 5-6 people or a stuffed one is enough for 10 people.

Fresh cranberries are everywhere (thanks to the enterprising marketers at Ocean Spray, I guess) but no Campbells cream of mushroom soup. Weirdly, I've found Campbells lobster, goulash and tandoori chicken. Why don't we get these in the states?!

Unrelated to Thanksgiving, I had a nice meal at Hansens Køkken in Frederiksberg, just to add to our list of good Copenhagen restaurants.

Happy Mortens Aften everyone!

Chris

• 11 months later...

If anyone knows the location of the american store in København I'd love the address. I'll be visiting København in November and I always try to stock up on the things I miss from the US and can't find in Oslo whenever I travel.

Any restaurant recommendations are also welcome. Does anyone know of a good Korean restaurant in København? (Another thing that doesn't exist in Oslo.)

Anna

There is an american grocery store in Peder Hvidtfelfts Stræde 13. I haven't been there myself, but I have been told, they have lots of good stuff.

As to korean restaurants, its a little more difficult. There is on called O Mo Nim, which one of my friends swear by. Its in Gasværksvej 21.

I haven't read through all the postings in this thread, so I dont know if anyone has Mentioned Noma.

That would be my recommendation for foreigners looking for a dining experience in Copenhagen. We have plenty of top end restaurants, serving french/italian cuisine, but Noma is a truly Nordic experience. No foie gras, but loads of shellfish, and also dishes like Musk Oxe! They have recently been awarded a Michelin star. Kommandaten which is mentioned above has lost one, so the only restaurant with 2 stars currently is Ensemble, but the two chefs behind that restaurant has left since. The same thing has happened at D'angleterre, where the restaurant was turning into a top place, but there was a clash with the owners.

Top of the pops right know probably is Paustian, Premisse, Restaurant Oubæk, and the classic Kong Hans, they all have webpages.

For cheaper eats try Le Le in Vesterbrogade, og Spicylicious in Istedgade.

Jakob

The store on Peder Hvidtfelfts Stræde is the only American store that i know of although i've never been there either. Although i've never had Korean in Copenhagen there are lots of other restaurants. In the asian realm there is Lai Hoos a casual cantonese place on Stor Kongensgade in the center of city(right off Kongens Have). Spicylicious that the Jakob mentioned is a good thai place in Vesterbro. Another good thai restaurant is Thai Esan 1 which is on Lille Istegade i think, also in Vesterbro. Depending on what dining experience you're looking for there are plenty of alternatives. Noma which was mentioned above www.noma.dk has a head chef who worked for Thomas Keller and Ferran Adria. Other than korean(which i'm at a loss for) if you give some further defining we can reccomend some more.

regards,

Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Thanks for the address and the lovely recommendations!

We'll have to give O Mo Nim a try. I haven't had any decent Korean food in a long time. Noma also looks really good, but I'm not sure I can talk my friends into going there. They'll probably think it's too expensive.

How about suggestions for Dim Sum or Vietnamese? Or somewhere to have a cup of coffee and some cake? A colleague mentioned La Glace, is it as nice as she made it sound?

Anna

Thanks for the address and the lovely recommendations!

We'll have to give O Mo Nim a try. I haven't had any decent Korean food in a long time. Noma also looks really good, but I'm not sure I can talk my friends into going there. They'll probably think it's too expensive.

How about suggestions for Dim Sum or Vietnamese? Or somewhere to have a cup of coffee and some cake? A colleague mentioned La Glace, is it as nice as she made it sound?

Anna

I don't know af any great Dim Sum places, but there is a couple of excellent vietnamese options. The best on, and most accessivle is Le Le, in Vesterbrogade. There is also Saigon Quan in Godthåbsvej, who recently got good reviews. For a more modern hakkasan/wagamama-type experience try Umami in St. Kongensgade 59. (http://www.restaurantumami.dk/)

La Glace is a classic in Copenhagen. The atmosphere is a bit posh, but the cakes are good. I personally prefer Emmerys, who has several outlets in Copenhagen. Excellent bread, cakes, coffee etc. But the shops are less cosy. (H.c.Ørstedsvej, Østerbrogade etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Off to Copenhagen in a few weeks - some great posts here, but I was hoping someone might have information on a place called 1.th - have heard from sources I respect that it quite possibly serves the best dinner to be had in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, the web site is entirely in Danish and I've gotten no reply to my email to them. Anybody have the scoop?

Off to Copenhagen in a few weeks - some great posts here, but I was hoping someone might have information on a place called 1.th - have heard from sources I respect that it quite possibly serves the best dinner to be had in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, the web site is entirely in Danish and I've gotten no reply to my email to them. Anybody have the scoop?

1. th is an extraordinary restaurant.

The concept is to try and make the dining experience seem like a private party.

The restaurant looks more like an apartment, and people are seated more or less like at a regular party.

Everyone gets the same menu, and there are usually musicians playing before and after dinner.

It was started by Mette Sia Martinussen, who I think have left the place, but last I heard the standard was still excellent.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jakob

1. th is an extraordinary restaurant.

The concept is to try and make the dining experience seem like a private party.

The restaurant looks more like an apartment, and people are seated more or less like at a regular party.

Everyone gets the same menu, and there are usually musicians playing before and after dinner.

It was started by Mette Sia Martinussen, who I think have left the place, but last I heard the standard was still excellent.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jakob

Yeah - just finally heard back from them and their closed over the Christmas/New Years break when we're going to be there. Made reservations at Noma instead ... I hear it's also great - do you hear the same?

• 1 month later...
I'm going there in March and have a reservation at Formel B - does anyone have any views on this place?

Formel B is one of the top french classic restaurants in Copenhagen. The two owners and head chefs are young, mid 20s, and they both have a background in the french cuisine, if anyone know or remember when Kommandanten had two stars, they've both been working there as far as I know. The kitchen is as I said classic french gourmet food though with a bit of a twist so it's not heavy plating. On the a la carte menu you will find classics as Tournedo Rossini but I would definitely go for the tasting menu. With the micheling guides touring Copenhagen last week, rumours are that Formel B, Noma or Ourbæk could be up for their second star but nothing is for certain. There is always different rumours and no one really can tell till the guide is out in March. Though it is very exciting though.

Hope you have a pleasant evening at Formel B!

• 2 months later...

Thank you Troidz and Jakob. W had an outstanding night at Formel B. The restaurant itself is beautiful, an L-shaped room with stone walls and lit by candles. The kitchen is open and remarkably calm.

We had the tasting menu:

2 amuse - pig cheek on celeriac puree and frog leg

-Lobster ravioli, richly flavoured

-an outstanding foie gras terrine with salted pork shank (like rillettes running through the foie gras and providing a textural contrast

-Zander with cockles and leeks

- roast monkfish with red wine reduction

- extraordinary roast rack of veal with bearnaise sauce - a standout dish

- mango ice cream with warm nougat parfait

finishing with a particularly good and generoud selection of petits fours with coffee

It's pricey but worth the cost for the high standard of cooking and warm, relaxing atmosphere

I personally think its great, and its definetly  the place to go, if you want an experience thats is both top class cuisine AND also have a strong local focus.

The food there is all nordic. No olive oil, no foie gras, instead you get lobsters from norway and oxe from Iceland etc. I think its original, the quality of the food is excellent, and it would be my choice if you were to only visit one restaurant while in Denmark.

The current menu has ex. langoustines, truffles from Gotland (Sweden)

The webpage is www.noma.dk

I'll second that comment. Noma is the place to go in Copenhagen..

Good for foreigners too, to get really nordic high class stuff.

Expensive yes, but worth the price.. And what in Copenhagen isn't expensive? :smile:

• 1 month later...

I'll be traveling to Hannover, Germany (where I hope to find traditional German food) and Copenhagen, Denmark, in a couple of weeks.

Any recommendations for good food in Copenhagen? Last time there I had a wonderful seafood dish but cannot remember where it was ...

thanks

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

• 2 weeks later...