• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

Kim Shook

I haven't ever used this stuff before, but found it recommended on some thread somewhere. I decided to give it a try and bought the fresh garlic and basil version. When I open it up and pour it out there are maybe 5 or 6 whole, humongous garlic cloves in it. :unsure::unsure::unsure: What am I supposed to do with them?? Mush them up (they are firm - like raw, not roasted), fish them out when finished cooking?? Please advise. Thank you.

Do like my Significant Other would do. Move them to the side of your plate and then declare at the end of the meal that I haven't eaten enough and give them to me to eat.

Of course, this tends to happen at meals when I am quite foundered, so it pisses me off a little bit...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I thought Jason’s freebasing comment was a great reply. I got a laugh out of it anyway. You could try mashing them up and injecting them for something different.

:wink:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I LOVE Mom's.........I pick those suckers out and chop them up, along with the basil and throw 'em back in the sauce.

Thank you, ma'am. I think I will do just that!

(Jason thinks I am an idiot :blush: )

He'll speak for himself, but like Taubear, I found his remarks damn funny. Like me, he loves garlic!

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes. There's no such thing as too much garlic in a marinara sauce.

Besides the many documented health benefits, chewing on raw garlic is also good for keeping an amorous spouse away from you. Unless he/she is Korean in which case it might have an adverse effect.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

See, I thought Jason was making fun of me for not knowing how to deal with large garlic :raz: ! I am of Italian origins and eating it whole would still make my head explode. Also, Mr. Kim has allergies and cannot smell much anyway - I have to do visual stuff to chase him off :wink: !

I do Mom's from time to time, and hubby absolutely loves the huge cloves. He remarks on them every time, and says "I really like these whole cloves!"

He eats them straight up. And loves them.

I am happy with the residual results in the sauce.

I prefer Patsy's to Mom's personally.

Freebase.

Damn dude, ain't that how John Belushi snuffed it?

If he did it with Garlic he might be alive today.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Are those whole cloves of cooked garlic? If so -- piece of cake! Cooked garlic is sweet and mellow. Now if those were whole cloves of raw garlic, well, okay, that's another story altogether. But cooked? Have 'em for breakfast!!