• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ 's FOR VEGETARIANS

Hasmi

Hi,

I am looking to host a BBQ. For meat-lovers it doesnt seem all that complicated. Kebabs and Tandoori-style chicken seems to win the day.

However alot of my friends also are vegetarians.

This always seems to cause a big problem for me.

They end up eating oven cooked Jacket potatoes ( which dont even originate from the BBQ).

Paneer Masala. Again which isnt even cooked on the BBQ.

The only dish I can envisage cooking is veggie kebabs ( paneer and other vegetables on skewers).

There must be some other choices we ( I ) can offer these poor people.

Dishes that are spicy and cookable on the BBQ

Please could somebody help by giving me suggestions.

I am stuck!

Thanks so much

:wub: Hasmi :wub:

These items are always a hit with veggies:

Big cheese cubes marinated (tandoori style, simple ginger-garlic-yoghurt etc).

Whole mushrooms (same treatment)

Ground up veggies on skewers (like seekh kababs but with veggies)

whole roasted small potatoes

corn - grilled (not foil wrapped) of course

hope this helps...

vivin

How about 'steaks' of tempeh and tofu?

Just cut firm tofu and tempeh into desired size and marinate in literally anything, before grilling.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I would like to add: when you grill the corn you can rub it with red pepper, butter, salt, and lime before serving. (My trick is to boil the corn in some water for a few minutes to tenderise it and then throw it on the bbq grill).

In addition, barbecued eggplant is really one of my favourites.

Do use portobello mushrooms on the grill as they have that meat like texture/quality.

Lastly, I really hope you are using a coal grill otherwise it just won't taste the way it should!!!

How about spicy veggie burgers instead of hamburgers?

Would they work? Would you par-boil the veggies

With regards to the Sheekh Kebabs - what veggies do you think would be a good suggestion?

Thanks

H

• 7 months later...

Quarters of peppers - green, yellow and red - marinated with herbs, seasonings and oil.

Marinated thick slices of Italian eggplant and zucchini.

These are the two I can think of apart from the usual Corn and Paneer.

A piece of tomato and onions on the skewer along with other veggies or meats complements the grilled food

:smile:

I won't get into the whole BBQ/grilling thing.

This is my favorite vegetable grilling dish:

Buy some smallish zucchini (or pattypan squash) and hollow out the inside.Coat the outside with butter or oil. Saute some onions, hot peppers and garlic in butter. Add breadcrumbs and cheese (whatever your preference) as well as any herbs/spices you like (I use thyme & cumin). Place these on a covered grill for about 10 minutes. If the bottom starts to burn move them to indirect heat.

Here's another one. Take a whole onion. Put it right on the coals. Cook it for 1/2 hour, turning once or twice. The outside will turn black. Let it cool for ten minutes and peel off the black portion. I could make a whole meal of just these onions and bread.

guajalote - i almost responded to your post with my own grilling idea and then got distracted by the "worst recipe ever" link and yyyeccch, now i have no idea what i as going to suggest.

oh boy. that's some cake. oh dear.

i think i was going to say something about how stuffed grilled poblanos are really good - stuffed with potatoes, paneer etc.

but i don't think i can elaborate. oh man. that cake with those worm things.

ouch

:P

• 5 months later...

i'm giving away a secret but this is AMAZING stuff.

you can grill fruit.

Use firm textured fruit tht wont fall apart when being grilled - guavas, apples, papaya, pineapples.

toss them in lemon, salt and dried mango powder (amchur) and then grill.

you can serve these with a sour tamarind sauce.

grilled fruit complements grilled vegetables and paneer beautifully.

Red green or yellow peppers, sliced zuccini, thickly sliced american eggplant, spring onions, red onions.

Grill them, slice them and toss with lemon juice, oil and chat masalla. For a slightly sweeter taste toss in some grilled pinapple slices.

when is this BBQ anyway??

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Another one a lot of restaurants in India would do.

they called it tandoori gobi

take a whole cauliflower, remove stem etc, rub with a little ginger/garlic paste, salt, red chlli powderand garam masalla. Make a thickish batter for pakoras. Dip whole cauliflower in batter and deep fry till the skin is formed but not colored. remove, drain and keep. the cauliflower is not fully cooked right now but the residual heat from the frying will cook it. when ready to serve place on med/low grill over indirect heat untill warmed through and the skin is beggening to char. Cut up in pieces and sprinkle with chat masalla. You can do it with smaller florets too but the whole cauliflower has a better visual impact.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Big cheese cubes marinated (tandoori style, simple ginger-garlic-yoghurt etc).

Add some "ajwain" (substitute dried fennel in a pinch) to the paneer marinade for a slightly different punch. Or a mixture of mint and cilantro to make it green. Voila... 3 different types of paneer kababs. (Ajwain tip from Prashad)

If you have a grill going and you can do something a little ellaborate, you could try an eggplant bharta. Oil the outside of a globe eggplant, and grill it on low direct heat so that the skin completely chars, but slowly so the inside gets completely cooked. Brush off the skin, and mash the (now) soft eggplant to a pulp. Stir in some chopped onions and salt. Drop a dollop of yoghurt on top, and sprinkle with the barest touch of chilli powder. Most bhartas (in restaurants, for example) have a bunch of spice added to it... the idea here is to showcase the perfect delicate flavor that eggplants get when grilled over coals.

Dinner Diaries - It's what's for dinner!

• 2 weeks later...

i was going to suggest tandoori gobi as well.

roast cauliflower is yummy.

also corn, portabellos, and eggplant.

if you get the huge eggplants you can cut them into thick steaks.

i've always pierced them and marinaded in good seasons italian dressing. another idea as a side, for both veg and non veg alike is to roast some whole garlic heads on the grill and then spread bread with the roasted cloves.