• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Drinks and Nibbles after Work?

Hi Everyone,

I was going to have a group (between 6 - 20 people) have drinks and nibbles after work on Monday, May 8 6 pm at Guu in Gastown, but they're closing that night for some sort of meeting. We'll be travelling like a pack from Main St. skytrain station, so here are some of the things I liked about Guu that I'm looking for in another place:

- right next to a skytrain station, so easy to get to on transit. Some people might be coming from elsewhere, so it was going to be easy to find too.

- cheap! (cocktails are only around $4-6, food is very flexible and cheap too)

- people can just drink, or drink and eat a little, or eat a lot

- good food

- friendly service that can deal with a large group, but that doesn't have to completely reserved ahead of time. It was going to be fairly easy to add on people at the last minute at Guu because early on a Monday evening, it's not that busy.

- casual

I'm thinking it might be worth going to one of the other Guu's even though the location won't be as convenient. I wish DV8 was up and running still. But maybe there's somewhere near a skytrain that I'm not thinking of. Commercial St? Granville Station? Honey Lounge is an option, near Stadium Station. Or that Tap and Grill behind Granville Station. Has anyone ever been to Adega, a Portugese Restaurant on Main St., near the Georgia viaduct turn off?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Nancy

Nancy,

This is a tough request. I canot image a restaurant looking forward to having upto 20 people walk in without a reso :angry: Good luck. You might want to try Steamworks Brew Pub they do have daily drink specials and they are large enough to handle big groups. I guess you could look at the Cambie...cheap drinks, questionable food.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Adega, like many other Portuguese restos, may be closed on Mondays but you'd have to check. Good place though for a decent meal though.

I'd check out the honey Lounge for sure, or the Cambie is cool if everyone's into beers. I recently had a similar size group on a Monday at the Irish Heather and the food there is great!

Edited by mzungu (log)

Nancy,

This is a tough request. I canot image a restaurant looking forward to having upto 20 people walk in without a reso :angry: Good luck. You might want to try Steamworks Brew Pub they do have daily drink specials and they are large enough to handle big groups. I guess you could look at the Cambie...cheap drinks, questionable food.

Cheers,

Stephen

I didn't mean without a reso. I made a reso at Guu over a week ahead, and that's how I found out about their closing that night. I made it for a smaller number, and would warn the restaurant that I would probably be adding on, and see if they're okay with that.

Morton's wouldn't qualify as "Cheap!", even with the happy hour appys.

I think mzungu's suggestion of the Irish Heather would be a good fit. I've seen them seat a few big groups (usually ESL schools) around 6pm, doesn't seem to be a problem. And you can drink if you want to, eat if you want to.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.