• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guyana

My father is from Guyana and I grew up with curry, roti, pepper pot, black cake and various other typical dishes on our table. I have never been but would love to take my father back to his birth country next year for the ICC World Cup of Cricket.

Do we have any Guyanese here or has anyone been recently?

You might try getting in touch with Chef Thomas Nalovic, owner of Cayenne Cafe. He is from Guyana. He even named his restaurant after the capital city. Thomas is a pretty nice guy.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 8 months later...

I am not Guyanese, but one of my babysitters when I was a child was/is. She never really cooked for me, except for roti, but it was soo good. iharrison, do you have a recipe/method for roti? I watched her make it many times, but that was a long time ago and I don't really remember. Also, there were two kinds that she would make, one that was cooked on a griddle and one that was deepfried. Do you know if they are the same dough? Thanks!

Edited by Live It Up (log)

You might try getting in touch with Chef Thomas Nalovic, owner of Cayenne Cafe.  He is from Guyana.  He even named his restaurant after the capital city.[...]

That's French Guiana. I'll bet their cuisine is not the same as that of the formerly English Republic of Guyana.

A dear friend and former girlfriend is Indo-Guyanese, and I had an Afro-Guyanese apartment mate for part of the time I was in college. He made a good potato curry, and my ex-girlfriend's relatives made excellent Mulligatawny Soup (which they pronounced "Multani") and Indian sweets. There are a couple of big Guyanese communities in Queens, New York, but I haven't frequented them much. When my friend looks for Caribbean food near her place in Park Slope, Brooklyn, she mostly finds either Jamaican or Trinidadian places.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 9 months later...
When my friend looks for Caribbean food near her place in Park Slope, Brooklyn, she mostly finds either Jamaican or Trinidadian places.

... following up on old thread. If your friend in Park Slope is still looking for Guyanese food, Sybil's over on the other side of Prospect Park (2210 Church Ave - near the intersection of Church + Flatbush) does some good Guyanese food. When we used to live in Park Slope, we'd take a stroll through the park to go over there for some Sunday morning Pepperpot (+ Wonder bread!)