• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lavender Simple Syrup

KatieLoeb

I made a batch of Lavender simple syrup this evening. Boiled up 1 cup of sugar with one cup water until dissolved. Took off the heat and stirred in 1/4 cup of food grade lavender blossoms and allowed it to cool at room temperature. I've strained it and it has the most lovely color and aroma.

I did this with the intention of creating a "Provencal Sidecar" type drink with some cognac, pear liqueur, lavender simple syrup, lemon juice and a splash of either Cointreau (which I suspect is too strongly flavored for this application) or some other liqueur subbing for the Cointreau in this recipe. I don't have everything at home I need to do that with so it'll have to wait for a shopping expedition.

But meanwhile....

Any other interesting suggestions for me? I suspect lavender has potential to mix well with vodka, gin or even perhaps brandy or cognac.

Have at it folks. Make some suggestions for me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Add a bit of your lavender syrup to a Lemon Drop. Really, really good. I've also had Lemon Drops where the glass was rimmed with lavender sugar (no syrup).

Thank you! This sounds delicious and it just so happens I have limoncello in the house, so perhaps I'll do a variation that way.

I'll report back with any findings.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

we use it in a foam on top of an apple daiquiri, lavender seems to go very well with apple and pears. also great with gin, the lav goes great with juniper and the other botanicals usually found nesting within. on that note would try an aviation with it, a little 'a la duffy' w his creme yvette i guess?

if you could make a 'water' vs a syrup, maybe a tea? then it would be excellent in a martini, especiually a tanq 10 martini?

bon chance

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'