• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kalustyan

I try to stop in everytime I'm in the neighborhood. I used to work right around the corner from it, but now I have to go out of my way. I like the store a lot, they have almost anything you might want there.

Generally, I go to get the loose mango tea and yerba mate. I've tried their mango chutney, but I prefer the spicy mango chutney down the street at Spice Corner. The guys at Spice Corner tend to be a little friendlier. They also carry something called Kuchela which I'm a big fan of.

I've been going there for maybe forty years. Although it was run by Armenians at that time, it catered to a wide audience and carried a lot of non mainstream non western foods and spices. One of my first visits was with a friend who had lived in India for a year. We were searching for spices he wanted to prepare an Indian meal for us. Over the years, it's been a source for some of the freshest middle eastern breads, but lately I seem to shop on the wrong day, or they are not selling as much and get deliveries less frequently. The pitas and other middle eastern breads are not always fresh. Parathas are another staple. I like to keep some handy in the freezer. Dr. Atkins is not friend of mine. :biggrin:

I mentioned their chutney's in another thread. They are also a staple and I prefer them to the brand we used to buy. Our curried dishes are something I'd not offer an Indian. They are neither authentic nor subtle. The closest thing I've found to our chicken curry is a Columbo from the French West Indies and it's more French creole than East Indian.

I suppose there's another thread in that--Indian foods, flavors and dishes incorporated into other cultures from the English who picked up certain limited tastes to places where those from the subcontinent have established a significant population like the West Indies.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.