• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peruvian-Chinese Cuisine

markk

A friend has recommended a Peruvian-Chinese restaurant to me for an upcoming trip. I've never heard of that cuisine! Any Gulletteers familiar with it?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I understand the Cuban-Chinese joints in NYC aren't serving Cuban-Chinese food as much as serving Cuban and Chinese foods side by side.

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is correct, might this also be the case for Peruvian Chinese, Indian Chinese, etc.?

But Muslim Chinese is probably more real and authentic (because of the Muslim influence in the western provinces and regions), although really just a lesser known subset of Chinese food.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In another thread I mentioned Jose Antonio's Peruvian Chinese restaurant in Chatsworth, CA, which has received some rave reviews in the L.A. times, Valley magazine and other publications.Here is a note about origins.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andiesenji, that's a nice little article. Chifas (peruvian-chinese) restaurants are quite an experience if you ever visit Lima. You will certainly recognize chinese ingredients and techniques, but the cuisine itself has evolved into a delightful fusion (and I know how unpopular that term is this days). I think a good chifa is definetly worth a visit.

And it's also true what Chris Cognac says about the japanese-peruvian cuisine. Good stuff. Nobu himself leved in Peru before going to the states and you can see a lot of peruvian influence in the food he serves at his many restaurants (aji amarillo, aji panca, anticucho, tiradito, etc)

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

A friend has recommended a Peruvian-Chinese restaurant to me for an upcoming trip.  I've never heard of that cuisine!  Any Gulletteers familiar with it?

There's a Peruvian-Chinese place on the Upper West Side of Manhattan called Flor de Mayo. It's really Peruvian food plus kind of Peruvian-Chinese (something like American-Chinese) food, much as herbicidal implies by analogy with Cuban-Chinese places.

Michael aka "Pan"

I did a month long climbing expedition in Huaraz ( a few hours north of Lima), and I lived in Chifas - you could get a huge plate of fried rice for $1US or something more elaborate for no more than $3US. The restaurants in the mountain towns were very rudimentary but always fast and good.

I understand the Cuban-Chinese joints in NYC aren't serving Cuban-Chinese food as much as serving Cuban and Chinese foods side by side.

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is correct, might this also be the case for Peruvian Chinese, Indian Chinese, etc.?

Absolutely not, Herb. While there is some resemblence to American Chinese, they are also using Cuban-style roast pork in fried rice dishes, etc. La Caridad on 78th street in Manhattan is a good example of this (incidentally, this is one of my favorite places to eat fried rice and egg foo young in the city). You'll see Soy Sauce and other Chinese condiments used with typical Cuban dishes there as well. In fact, most of the food is more resembling Cuban food than Chinese.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/citizen/jun03...n_chinese.shtml

Indian Chinese is a very distinct cuisine in and of itself, with a lot of fusion going on.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Chinese and Japanese have left their mark on Peruvian cuisine. I know the Chinese arrived in the 1800's. The Asian influence isn't just some modern thing but a real part of the cuisine. I know that lomo saltado seemed to pop up at every restaurant I visited. I rather lked it and would order it again and again. It then hit me that I was eating a stir-fry with soy sauce but also other popular local ingredients like potatoes of which there are seemingly hundreds of varieties there. There are chifas, Chinese restaurants, but the Chinese influence appears in the mainstream as well.

There's Peruvian soy sauce at my local Latin market.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

I went to a local (Seattle) Peruvian restaurant, El Chalan. It has never been mentioned in the reviews, but the menu was almost comically Chinese. The Mexican waitress told us that when she told her Mom where she was working, she replied "Oh, some of the best Chinese food you can find is at a Peruvian restaurant." Not at this particular one, but you get the idea.

We used to have a Peruvian Chinese place here in Charlotte and I really miss it.

Most of the dishes were Latin and they had an amazing cilantro chicken soup, corn with the biggest kernels you ever saw (but the taste was very bland) and served Inka Cola. The Chinese influence came in the rice stir fry dishes, which had lots of seafood and hybrid of Spanish and Oriental flavors.