• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imbibe Magazine

TopoTail

There’s a new foodie magazine out of Portland, OR. Or maybe I should call it a drinkie magazine. It’s called Imbibe: Drinks Culture Life, and covers everything from wine and spirits to coffee, tea, horchata, and pechuga (we’ll come back to that).

The main focus is on wine and spirits, and issue #1 includes a fun profile of Ted Haigh (a man obsessed with cocktails, otherwise known as “Dr. Cocktail”), features on organic wine and Trappist ales, the obligatory “12 Great Hotel Bars” roundup with lots of cool photos, plus front-of-the-book bits on home mini bars and Angostura (and other) bitters.

The biggest feature is on Oaxaca and the many beverages produced in the region: local “village” mezcals, hot chocolate, agua de Jamaica, tejate (a brew that includes toasted corn, cacao, cinnamon, and mamey seeds and flowers), and pechuga. Pechuga means “breast” in Spanish, and this is a mezcal whose recipe includes wild apples, plums, mangos, red plantain bananas, almonds, uncooked rice and . . . a chicken breast.

For coffee lovers, there’s a feature on “Coffee’s Third Wave” (full disclosure: I wrote it), a bit on Canadian barista champion Sammy Piccolo, and a two-page spread called “How to Ace French Press Coffee.”

The magazine is beautifully designed. I especially like the two-page spread that opens the organic wine story. On the left hand page a vineyard shot occupies the bottom half. On the top half a huge orange “O” appears as a sun rising over the horizon. The “o” is the first letter in the title, which runs across both pages: “Organic Vineyards Make Great Tasting Wine.” Inside the big “o” are the words: “No Longer Reserved for the Eco-Obsessed.”

They haven’t posted any articles online, but you can do a virtual flip-through:

Imbibe Magazine

--Richard Reynolds

Looks interesting...does it have anything to do with the Imbibe bar/lounge on (I think?) Division?

Hi Missmaia,

I'm Circulation Manager for <i>Imbibe</i> and just wanted to clear up that we are not affiliated with the restaurant on Hawthorne in SE Portland. <i>Imbibe</i> is a drinks magazine with national scope, but we're published out of Portland, Oregon.

We're available on newsstands nationally as of May 1. I hope you check it out and enjoy it.

Cheers, Siobhan

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

Looks interesting...does it have anything to do with the Imbibe bar/lounge on (I think?) Division?

Hi Missmaia,

I'm Circulation Manager for <i>Imbibe</i> and just wanted to clear up that we are not affiliated with the restaurant on Hawthorne in SE Portland. <i>Imbibe</i> is a drinks magazine with national scope, but we're published out of Portland, Oregon.

We're available on newsstands nationally as of May 1. I hope you check it out and enjoy it.

Cheers, Siobhan

Hi Siobhan. Can you tell us where to look for more information? Is there a website? Is the magazine sold at large national bookstores like Borders or Barnes & Noble? Where can I peruse a copy so I can see if it is something I'd be interested in?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi Siobhan.  Can you tell us where to look for more information?  Is there a website?  Is the magazine sold at large national bookstores like Borders or Barnes & Noble?  Where can I peruse a copy so I can see if it is something I'd be interested in?

Absolutely! Richard put a link to the website in his post, here it is: <a href="http://www.imbibemagazine.com" target="_blank">www.imbibemagazine.com</a>

As for getting your hands on a copy of the magazine, you can buy <i>Imbibe</i> at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Tower, select independent bookstores and grocery stores and some beer & wine stores and coffee shops. In Canada, we're available at Chapters and Indigo stores.

Siobhan

Note: edited so website opens in a new window.

Edited by slobhan (log)

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

• 9 months later...

Bumping this up because I just received a free (unsolicited) issue of this magazine, so guess they are doing a promotion, probably sending issues to subscribers of other food magazines.

It is a nice magazine, covers wine, beer, spirits, coffee and tea.

The issue I received has feature articles on how agave is grown for tequila and how tequila is made, a wine tasting 101 article and story about bars in Japan among many others.

The magazine is nicely laid out and has great photos as well.

It was a pleasant suprise to receive this, since I had never seen this magazine before.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"