• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boba (Tapioca Pearl) retailers in NYC

Sethro

edited to add: ahhh, crap...never mind, i just re-read your post and it says black MINI boba...haven't seen those anywhere.

just go to one of the bubble tea shops nearby and ask to buy some raw product (ten ren or teas tea or whatever their names are). shouldn't be too much trouble. if they say "no", no big deal.

there's a korean market somewhere near 10th street (not far from astor place?! i could be wrong) but they carry bubble tea kits. it should also have the dark colored boba.

also check that other shop that is on mulberry (same street as asia market)...it is near the butcher shop and you have to take a couple of stairs below street level to get in...don't know the name of the place, but they might have boba.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

thanks pan, that's exactly it! so often, particularly for ethnic stores, you just walk in and shop and don't really remember the names (maybe that's just me).

but i think the kits have the big boba also...not the mini's

as much as i love eating/drinking bubble teas, the brown tapioca STINKS when you cook it.