• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegmans Opens in Northern Virginia

I'm curious--how many of you--hannah, liam, oz, Mark et al--who are estimating how often you will make the trek to Wegmans once it opens--have already been to the Princeton Wegmans--or to one of their other elite high-volume stores?

Yet another Wegman's virgin. I didn't even know Wegman's existed until I started reading this thread. But I'm in Fairfax, so it won't be too bad a trip. The key of course will be to plan ahead, so you can load up on the stuff you don't want to (or can't) buy at the 'regular' grocery chains. If these guys live up to their reputation, I'd say they're going to do very, very well.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I will probably end up there at least twice a week. It is ten minutes from my home in Ashburn. And is only a very slight detour from my route home from work.

I've nver been to a Wegman's either, but if it is half as nice as what I would expect it will be well worth the extra five minute drive past a Safeway, Giant, Food Lion and Shopper Food Warehouse.

Bill Russell

Forgot too that this is VA, so I'll be very interested to see what their beer/wine selection is like.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I expect to go a lot initially. I figure that I'll remember something interesting I didn't get and feel compelled to go back. I expect once that novelty wears off I'll be there more like every 4-5 weeks. Right now I tend to head to the MD burbs for a lot of other shopping needs and will now scout out the surrounding area to see what other errands could put me in the neighborhood.

Now, how much time do you think you'll spend there on your first visit? I'm thinking I'll have to dedicate a serious chunk of time!

I like the concept of this highly anticipated Wegman's. I have lived in Reston, and

Oakton and now Sterling near the Fairfax parkway. I have seen the advent of the

Fresh Fields in Reston, now W Foods. I have even seen the gourmet giant renovations in the early 90's. I have seen the beginning of Sutton Place Gourmet.

I have now experienced the opening of Harris teeter in Reston. I even buy at Costco. Now here comes Wegmans. I can honestly say that there is advantages and disadvantages to shopping at all of these stores. I can not honestly say one is better than the other. I feel that a store is successful if it is managed well. I have been at average to bad Giants, I have been to good Giant stores.

The same is true for Whole Foods, and Sutton Gourmet. I have bought lunch meats at Sutton I was not impressed with, I have bought desserts at Sutton that I was not impressed with. I have bought prepared foods at WF that I didn't like, but I have also raved about the place.

I think choice is a freedom we take for granted. I bet you that the Russians are reading this right now and saying, "those lazy spoiled Americans, ehh." I can't wait to see the offerings of the new Wegman's. But I remember when I grew up I thought Giant was a gourmet store. Now we have all of these stinkin' choices.

Well, don't sell the Saabs,or the BMW's folks, just give thanks that we live in a country where we can complain about a grocery store that doesn't bake bread as good as the "Breadline" or make prepared foods as good as "Sutton Place Gourmet." I appreciate good food and top of the line just as much as anyone else.

But I don't think I'll bash a qaulity company just because they don't sell artisan breads. Trader Joes sells artisan breads, and they always seem to go stale the next day. I keep shopping at Whole Foods for that damn good tomato, and righteous salad bar. But I think I'll go crazy driving to 3 to 4 stores just to do my food shopping. Maybe I'll open up my own store and sell artisan waters,breads, and salamis, with a drive thru, so you can get to the next grocery store in less than 20 minutes...What do you think???

The Doctor Is Out! :wacko:

I'm curious--how many of you-- liam--who are estimating how often you will make the trek to Wegmans once it opens--have already been to the Princeton Wegmans--or to one of their other elite high-volume stores?

First, :biggrin: regarding Liam going to far-away grocery stores.. let alone those around the Beltway. I'm still trying to get him turned on to Trader Joes!! (hey, anyone know if they're planning to open a TJ's in Vermont anytime soon?)

:raz:

But really, when the Wegman's nearest to me (in Philly), which is 30 miles away in Downingtown, opened, I went once, loved it, and fully intended to go back. But soon thereafter, TJ's opened downtown here, and I honestly can't bring myself to spend an hour driving to Wegman's...the produce is great, but the prices are still too high for this lowly grad student. And gas is expensive these days...

With regard to choice, I agree it's often an unestimated freedom, but it's also simultaneously a burden. As Barry Schwartz argues in his new book "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less," freedom of choice can turn into a tyranny of choice when those choices go completely unconstrained. Interestingly, Schwartz cites research that found that shoppers who confront a display of 30 jams or varieties of gourmet chocolates are less likely to purchase ANY than when they are given only a variety of six (tho present company likely differs substantially from those study participants when it comes to food preferences!)

Anyways, just my two cents!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I'm curious--how many of you-- liam--who are estimating how often you will make the trek to Wegmans once it opens--have already been to the Princeton Wegmans--or to one of their other elite high-volume stores?

First, :biggrin: regarding Liam going to far-away grocery stores.. let alone those around the Beltway. I'm still trying to get him turned on to Trader Joes!! (hey, anyone know if they're planning to open a TJ's in Vermont anytime soon?)

:raz:

We didn't have Wegman's in New England, so I'm unfamiliar with it. Yeah, I honestly can't contemplate actually going outside the Beltway to buy groceries. What would happen to my cheese in the summer heat! :shock: I'd probably get lost crossing the Potomac into Virginia at some point anyway. I never seem able to follow the same route twice! :laugh:

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 2 weeks later...

LESS THEN TWO WEEKS UNTIL WEGMANS OPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled to say the very least! I drove by the store last night and most of the shelves look stocked. I saw signs throughout the store put up for the Sub shop, Bakery, Chef's Creations and Wokery.

Soon I will have a pre Grand Opening tour but most important I can't wait until opening day to begin shopping!

See everyone at the checkout lines! :-)

Count me in as another excited virgin (!). I live far enough away (Takoma Park) that I can't imagine I'll go super often, but as my partner works near Reston, that might make us more likely to make the trek. Certainly I am very much looking forward to the first visit.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Living in NW I can't imagine I will get there all that often, which is probably a good thing for my wallet. On the other hand, on days like this, where I want to drive somewhere, this will be the perfect destination. 45 minutes to get there, good reason to go, good reason to come home and cook.

Now, what restaurants that I would never go to becuase they are all the way out there -breathe-do I need to hit?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Now, what restaurants that I would never go to becuase they are all the way out there -breathe-do I need to hit?

NONE

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I would concur about the restaurants out this way (See the current Dulles Corridor thread).

My hopes are that the prepared food at Wegmans will be decent. Although I am close enough I can take home the raw goods and make things for myself. No need to pack a lunch.

Bill Russell

NONE

You know, there might be a barbeque place or two out near Warrenton that could be worth working into a trip to Wegmans.

NONE

You know, there might be a barbeque place or two out near Warrenton that could be worth working into a trip to Wegmans.

That's what I was thinking......a good trip out for BBQ and stopping at Wegman's on the way home.

NONE

That's what I was thinking......a good trip out for BBQ and stopping at Wegman's on the way home.

Does this warrent an eGullet eVent?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

NONE

Like perhaps on the 29th?

NONE

Like perhaps on the 29th?

Or in a couple of months when the weather is warm, the parking lot is less crowded and I am not in mid term and report season?

According to page M9 of this Sunday's Post, there is a place called Jammin' Joe's Barbeque on Rt. 29 just before you get to Warrenton. It says that they make their own rub and sauce (high praise I suppose). It also would be possible to work in some skeet or sporting clays shooting at the Bull Run Shooting Center.

I was planning to go on the 29th. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion of going en masse on opening day. I'm still game if anybody else is.

Steve, I have never been to a Wegman's but I know you don't lavish undeserved praise on anybody...and your recommendation of the store is one of the key reasons I'm excited to check it out. As for how often I will go...it's hard to say, but my partner's choir rehearses very close to the Sterling store every Sunday so it's not hard for me to go out with him. I'd estimate once a month, except in the summer when the choir is not rehearsing.

Redfox, I live in Takoma too. Hi neighbor!

A very well-written article about Wegmans in the Post business section today, by Margaret Webb Pressler, which just about gets it all right--the fair pricing, the high quality, the depth, the impact it will likely have in our marketplace--impressive seeing how it comes from a writer who had never actually been to a Wegmans before. Ms. Pressler took a drive to another Wegmans--the one in Downington, PA--and reported on her experience. Downington isn't an example of one of the chain's best stores (as she found out sitting in the "dreary" cafe) and it isn't even the best store in its area, playing second fiddle to the likes of the Princeton, NJ Wegmans.

Once again, when it comes to food, the Post got it right.

For those of you thinking of going to Sterling on opening day, go early. The recently-opened Woodbridge, NJ store was a mob scene by noon on opening day.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com