• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegmans Opens in Northern Virginia

Heather--last I heard it was still "Winter 2004" for Sterling, nothing more specific. Wegmans recently announced the Woodbridge, NJ location will open November 9th--and Woodbridge broke ground sooner than Sterling.

Can't wait, personally. I'll be so glad never to shop at Whole Foods VA again.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, not all Whole Foods are terrible. Their Vienna outpost is really fairly good. The cheese department isn't quite on par with, say, Dean and Deluca but it's superior to the other Whole Foods in the area that I've been to. For instance although I live a mile from the Reston Fresh Fields I'll drive the six or so miles to Vienna to go to this market. (Clarendon, Wisconsin Avenue (both stores), Falls Church-Vienna really seems to be their local flagship.) Having said this, Sutton Place carries a number of brands that none of the Whole Foods carry (i.e. Mauri gorgonzola dolce) and Dean and Deluca carry a number of brands that neither Whole Foods nor Sutton Place carry. I haven't been to the Princeton Wegman's but, somehow, I still expect to have to go to several places for particular products even after it opens. About two months ago I was in Providence, RI and stopped in a fantastic Italian gourmet store on Federal Hill (whose name I just conveniently forgot!!). But this store had 20 or 25 different vintage olive oils, 30, 40 and 50 year old balsamic including both silver and gold. Not only did they have violane nano arborio but they had three different brands of it. My point is that this place was as good as anything that I have found in America. There's nothing in D. C. that can compare to it, perhaps only one or two even in New York. I don't expect Wegman's to even approach this. But for a hybrid Vienna Whole Foods/Sutton Place/Wagshal's/Giant Gourmet, etc. along with a few upstate NY brands thrown in as well as some specialties like brick oven pizza, Hermes chocolate and an in house food court (of sorts) and restaurant, well, there's nothing like it here.

But my guess is that like the Providence deli there's still going to be a need to drive elsewhere.

I was by the Sterling store today. Although they're running ads for various positions I would guess that they are looking at an early to mid December opening. While the building's shell and skin are finished there is just an awful lot of interior work to be done.

Malawry-- I'm hoping the Wegman's outposts here will offer beer and wine, as the Princeton location's beer and wine selection was great (due to whatever NJ liquor laws, they opened a 'seperate' beer and wine store next door to the actual grocery store). I couldn't get over some of the beers they had. Westvleteren at $3.50 a bottle? You can't find that stuff anywhere, let alone at that price. Steve's right-- I used to work on a project in Princeton, where I lived during the week, and the Wegman's there is amazing.

Chris Sadler

Can someone help me here?

I went to college at the University of Rochester (in upstate New York) in the early 1980s. Wegman's was the local grocery store at the time, and I remember it being just another grocery story. This thread makes it sound like a high-end foodie oasis.

Did Wegman's change, or did I simply not have enough money or sense to notice back then?

Bruce

Wegman's like other Upstate NY grocery chains (such as Tops) are the ultimate grocery stores in this section of the country. I mean what else is there to do when there is 5 feet of snow on the ground, but eat!

Huge produce sections (both regular and organic), miles of grocery selves, in store bakeries, take out food, and about 50 check outs all fully manned with both clerks and baggers.

The Tops international in Buffalo has an entire aisle dedicated to Indian food equal to most Indian grocery stores.

While not super specialized like some ultra gourmet stores, like say Dean and Deluca or say the Italian section in Philly or the store mentioned by Joe above, Wegman's is going to demolish Giant, Safeway, and Fresh Fields.

There are still a number of much smaller, "normal" sized Wegman's in the Rochester area. In fact most of the stores there are what you remember. Wegman's seems to have changed their marketing philosophy when they strayed from the upstate stores. Corning opened, I believe, in the late '80's. At the time I know there was not a Wegman's in Rochester that was anywhere near it's size. As Wegman's entered other markets they became real category killers; they became more sophisticated with the entrance into markets like Downingtown and Princeton. My expectation is that Sterling and Woodbridge, their two largest stores, will probably have several new features or elements. Anyway, Sterling officially opens in LATE FEBRUARY.

Anyway, Sterling officially opens in LATE FEBRUARY.

Judging from the pace of construction, it might be a little sooner than that. They're already prepping the parking lot for paving, which tends to come toward the end of the grocery-store-building process. Couldn't see if they've got lights on inside yet (I was driving).

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Joe,

I'm not sure if it's much use to you, but within the district you can get your violane nano arborio at A. Litteri off 6th NE just above Florida Ave. I could also almost swear that I have seen mauri gorgonzola dolce at the P Street Whole Foods location. I'll try to verify next time I am there. Am I correct in assuming you pair the two in a rissotto?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Schneier,

The new Wegman's are so good that I will most certainly venture to one of the Northern Virginia stores from Richmond (which is a grocery store desert). Not to say that I'll make it a special trip, but if I'm up in D.C. or Tyson's (as I sometimes am), I will definitely detour to pick up the week's provisions at Wegman's. Yes, they are _that_ good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm originally from Rochester, NY, the corporate home of Wegmans. I currently reside in Loudoun County. I began emailing Wegmans a few years ago begging them to come here. They were very quick to answer me- and although cordial, they were quick to nix the idea because there was no distribution center at the time that could service stores this far south. I pointed out that there were many, many former Western New Yorkers residing here who can't forget them. I also pointed out that what ever reasons they could come up with not to come -other companies like Harris Teeter were already coming. Then I told them that I'd never found a better grocery store anywhere coast to coast and with Loudoun County being the second fastest growing County in the U.S. with million dollar houses (and their well appointed kitchens) going up like nobodys business- they were sure to make "obscene profits" and they'd better hurry before all the good sites are bought up! Shortly after that they announced their intentions to enter this market.

Now for any of you with limited or no experience with them let me explain that their flagship store is located in Pittsford, NY, (Village founded 1789, listed Nat'l Historic Places)a prestigious town that has the usual highly paid executives and a lot of old money families whose ancestors founded some of Americas greatest businesses (Eastman Kodak, Bausch&Lomb,Xerox,Paychex,Western Union,etc.) The people are mostly low key private family oriented but very well travelled and demanding of high quality foodwise. That Pittsford store works just like the laboratory for the company- first for ever trying new products, techniques, presentations- they use latest technology lighting designed for Tiffanys and Bergdorf Goodman stores...that's the site of their first Pierre Herme Patisserie and the new "Tastings" fine restaurant. (Apart and in addition to the in-store Market Cafe)

Pittsford was the store I lived nearest to and my family completely loved it. Seriously, no matter what rotten thing was happening in the world a trip inside Wegmans made it a much better day! Wegmans has several very large stores that have been continuously expanded in the surrounding prosperous eastern suburbs of Rochester.

Wegmans in Sterling and Fairfax will be MAGNIFICENT because that's always the company's way,-always evolving, always updating, the best new innovations in each newest store-particularly when they're entering a brand new market. Where other companies take employees and customers for granted by locking-in to some stale,dull, dumb, rote formula cause it's familiar, Wegmans itself is organic and always open (24hrs!) to doing it better and better. That's why the store motto is..'Everyday you always get our best" Are they perfect? No, because where is perfection in this world? But they're darn near close. My Manhattan relatives are already planning regular visits to the Woodbridge, NJ store. I'm sure I'll probably still visit Dean & Deluca & Sutton Place from time to time. But I will never set foot into Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods or-ehh- Food Lion ever again!

And, no,I don't work for them, but maybe I should! Their benefits are terrific. Anyway, Cheers, I sincerely hope you like them!

I remember their size. The one near the University of Rochester we called Wegman's, but the one further away was larger, and known as MegaWegman's.  I also remember an even larger one, that we called GigaWegman's.

Bruce

The next step in the Wegmans evolution is therefore the TeraWegmans

To be followed by the:

PetaWegmans

ExaWegmans

ZetaWegmans

YottaWegmans

I hope that their marketing department is on the ball and doesn't miss out on this branding coup! :biggrin:

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

My very first job as a teenager was working as a bag-boy for Wegmans, in Greece NY. Back in early 70's. My step mother's summer cottage is next door to one Danny Wegman, son of the founder (not a snobby pretentious castle, just a nice cottage actually. )

Took my girlfriend to visit Rochester this summer, and thing she was most anxious to see was their largest Wegmans in Pittsford where my sister lives. She can't wait to stop shopping at F**d Li*n and Gi*nt, and buy everything at Wegmans. May have to shop at 6am to avoid initial crowds.

An acquaintance works for competing store (um, largest chain in the area) and says that they are very concerned about this one measly store from Wegmans. They have sent groups to from here to scope out Wegmans and see what's coming. I've noticed local grocery store in Ashburn trying to put on a new face and offer new things that have a smattering of Wegmans touch. (It won't work guys...) They are shaking in their boots, waiting for this store to open. Not to mention the smaller stores.

Now, living in Ashburn just 3 miles down the road from new store in Sterling - I'm watching every brick they put into the building as I drive past. They just put the WEGMANS sign on front - and back! - of the store this past week. Smart idea, so that traffic on both directions see it.

Is it that much better than other stores? Come by and see for yourself. One thing they do very well, which I haven't seen mentioned: they have regular meetings with customers to find out what works, what they want. They tailor their new stores to the market, and they adjust. They don't take their business for granted. Some people in upstate NY travel 100 miles to shop there.

(No, I don't still work for Wegmans. But I can't wait till they open!!)

On the New Jersey board there is a post that the Pittsford store has the highest dollar volume. Is it also the largest in terms of square footage since I thought the Dulles store, at 135,000 square feet, was to be the largest? The same post also singles out the upcoming Fairfax store (which I believe is 125,000 square feet) as being even more spectacular than Dulles because of the demographics. (Surprises me since I would have thought Dulles would have had somewhat higher demos).

The Fairfax County Wegman's will be at Monument Drive & Lee Highway/29, on the other side (south) of 66 from the Fair Oaks Mall.

I live right in that area and can vouch that it's an ideal location. The Safeway at Fairfax Town Center is a nightmare on a good day. It's picked over, the produce is nightmarish, and there's never enough checkout staff. The Giant in Fairfax City involves a drive through Fairfax City and the Giant in Greenbriar is just a little too far to be convenient. The same goes for the Harris Teeter in Fairfax City, although I often go there (and pay more) and then make the trip to Annandale to Trader Joe's. Food Lion isn't even worth discussing.

I can't wait! I do love Super H, (and still dearly miss Super Fresh), but Wegman's and Super H together should meet almost all of my needs. With a little luck, I won't have to make runs to Bailey's Crossroads for various Greek sundries anymore.

Michelle, you sound like my kind of shopper, piecing it together from the best of a few ordinary merchants.

Does anybody know when the new stores open? I think we should organize a daytrip!

"An acquaintance works for competing store (um, largest chain in the area) and says that they are very concerned about this one measly store from Wegmans. They have sent groups to from here to scope out Wegmans and see what's coming."

That's an interesting comment fangva. When the whole Bread & Circus/Fresh Fields boomlet happened in DC you saw the likes of Giant and Safeway adapt slightly--ever so slightly. But it was a token adaptation and their stores still stink. And while Whole Foods doesn't "stink" it panders pretentiously and underwhelms. And it's Whole Foods who should fear the arrival of Wegmans more than anyone else--because WF knew all along their Mid-Atlantic region stores under-served their market, that they weren't as good as they could be or should be given the efforts of other WF stores around the country. I can't wait for all the now-buried resentment of WF to pour out of customers who up until this Wegmans arrival had no other choice. I pity Whole Foods, not Giant or Safeway--because Whole Foods knew better, knew full well of Wegmans or of a Food Life in Chicago--yet chose to ignore their lessons.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, the Whole Foods is Vienna is an excellent store, as good as any that I have found in their entire chain, probably better than any other in the area. While it's not perfect it sets a standard for the others to live up to. To take it another step I actually feel lucky that it is so close to me knowing just how bad some of their other stores can be. If you haven't been to it yet you really should take a look at it. Nearby is Neilsen's which is D. C.'s best frozen custard.

Joe, what makes your area WF better? Have you compared it to the Dupont/Logan Circle store, which I understand carries more selection than the other stores? (They carry more than Tenley, Georgetown, Rockville, McLean or Silver Spring, that's for sure.)

I live near one of the newer DC area Whole Foods, which is in downtown Silver Spring, MD. Do I shop there? Yes. Do I like it? I like it enough. But whenever I put Whole Foods up to the scrutiny it deserves, it falls short every time. They just don't carry the assortment they should and could of lots of foods. They just don't support the local marketplace, there are things even Dean and DeLuca carries from local producers (cheeses, breads, dairy products, vegetables, etc) that should be available at Whole Foods but aren't. Most of the things I might buy at Whole Foods I try to buy at the TPSS Co-op we belong to, which is closer, cheaper and sells products from really great local yokels like Eco Farm and Atwater Breads.

I'm looking forward to Wegman's, even if they did apparently look over our little Silver Spring area when selecting sites. If they're half as good as Klc says I'll be schlepping out there at least once a month to shop.

An acquaintance works for competing store (um, largest chain in the area) and says that they are very concerned about this one measly store from Wegmans. They have sent groups to from here to scope out Wegmans and see what's coming.

This is interesting to me, since both of the major chains with significant footholds in the area are now part of major multinational corporations. Giant, of course, is part of Royal Ahold and Safeway is obviously Safeway. I don't see Wegman's running either one out of business in the area, but I do see their concern as a positive thing, since it hopefully will result in some real changes in the stores in this market.

This is fantastic! I was driving by the new Wegmans in Loudoun just this past Saturday. As we stopped at the light I said, "Hey hon, there's a new store there... what is that... W-E-G... It says Wegmans."

"What on earth is Wegman's?", Mr. J asked.

"Beats me," and we drove on.

I'm so glad to hear it's a great new store to check out!

Michelle (or anyone) does Wegman's carry a good selection of Greek food? We quite literally just discovered Aphrodite in Bailey's Crossroads on Saturday. Apparently this past weekend was a good one for food discoveries for us!

I'm a DC native, but my friends from Rochester tell me that the more swank Wegmans include olive bars and cheese counters. If that's true, you could most likely get your Kasseri and Kalamatas at Wegmans. I'm sick to death of the packaged Kasseri I buy at HT when I'm too lazy to drive into Bailey's Crossroads or Baltimore for good Greek stuff...

The real test, of course, is the taramasalata and grape leaves (just the leaves, mind you) and other goodies. I'll accept that I'll probably still have to go to Aphrodite for real egg dye at Easter, but the rest would be really nice to have nearby.

Edited by MichelleW (log)