• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banff must-eats?

Vancouver

Hi.  So if you had 3 meals in Banff, what would they be? 

All tips much appreciated!

Cheers!

As far as I can tell, nothing has been posted about Banff for a looooong time. However, you may wish to peruse the following: Banff restaurants, cheap and cheerful in the mountains

Upon reviewing the above thread... I see that I already made linkys to most of the previous Banff commentary. Don't think there's been anything much since.

However, perhaps someone new will chime in. Bon Chance :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 2 months later...

Banff has gone pretty commercial but if you go to the Banff Springs Hotel - there was always some fine dining there. It is a gorgeous place - you'll love it! Overall, there is a pretty good mix of everything offered but I can confirm that when I speak with my brother (went there with his kids this past week-should be back in a week or so).

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. ~ F.Wilson

So funny, I'm in Banff right now for a family reunion! We've only been here a day, and most of the family are not, how should we say, fine dining types, so I'm not sure what the rest of the meals will be like.

Anyway, we (my close fam, who do appriciate a good meal) went to the Maple Leaf Grille and Bar last night and had a wonderful meal. Nearly everyone was impressed. My husband had the bison stroganoff, which I found to be outstanding. I had their signature starter called "Lobster cappuccino," a spicy, frothy bisque--reminded me of a thai curry. I really enjoyed that as well. The only sleeper of the night was a crab gazpacho. My grandfather (who is getting on in years, so perhaps is loosing some of his tastebuds?) found it quite bland and asked for salt, pepper and vinegar to help perk it up.

The wine list, from what I could gather, was really overpriced, however, we're from California where good wine is easy to come by.

The restaurant is right in the middle of the downtown, though I can't remember the cross street--maybe Caribou?

anyway, HTH!

Edited by bekkiz (log)

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a trip through the Rockies, and I must rave about Fuze Finer Dining in Banff (on Banff Ave. in the Clock Tower Mall).

Sorry, I'm not going to get the names of the dishes exactly right:

Their signature tomato soup was stunning. After sopping up every last drop with my bread, I thought about ordering another round. The flavors of tomato, smoked bacon and basil are perfectly intermingled; there's subtlety to how the tomato, bacon and melting basil cream relate, yet simultaneously the smoky aroma is quite intense. I'm dreaming about it right now...

I had the Thai-style risotto with seafood as my entree. All of the seafood was perfectly cooked: tiny lobster tails neither slimy (undercooked) nor tough (overcooked); shrimp with that crisp bite that only the freshest shrimp seems to achieve; scallops seared just enough to caramelize without toastiness. Normally, I am pretty blase about shrimp and scallops, but these were exceptionally succulent. The risotto was creamy, well-prepared but not a standout by itself, but it was fine as an accompaniment to the seafood and the sauce--the sauce! Green curry-based creamy sauce with a twist rendering it somehow more savory than the usual Thai curry fare. And all of this topped with a dollop of a wonderfully intense, savory roasted tomato coulis or confit.

The dessert I chose was the Classic English Pudding with Sticky Caramel Sauce. Sweet, warm, sticky, rich, brown sugary with a bit of house-made vanilla ice cream. I was full before I even got the dessert, but I couldn't help myself from finishing every crumb.

Sorry that was so verbose...I was kind of reliving the experience....