• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nang Mein

Had Nang Mein Karbi combo for lunch today. I had Mul Nang Mein and it was average.

Which is your favorite Nang Mein and where do you get your fix?

PS. I know people talk about the national dish of korea being Kimchi (I wouldn't disagree) but Nang Mein has to be very close second for me. BTW, do other food cultures have the cold NOODLE soup concept?

have you ever tried cold soymilk noodles?

its soymilk (with a lot of crushed soybeans added for thickness) plus thick udonlike noodles. sometimes topped off with some shredded cukes.

served salty, not sweet.

very refreshing, very good.

you should also consider trying mix cold noodles (bibim naengmyeon) which is very spicy and mix thick cold noodles (jjol-myeon), which has same spiciness level as bibim naengmyeon.

lots of good cold noodle dishes out there

summer is almost here, but not yet. still breezy cool.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I'm not a huge fan of the noodles in soymilk, largely because I don't like soy milk. But my mom is a fanatic for the stuff.

I also love bibim nang mein. I had heard that bibim nang mein is more of a southern thing while the mul nang mein is a northern thing.

My fav bibim nang mein has either raw fish or dried cod mixed in with sauce.

Have you heard of a thing called Mak Guk Su. I'm not sure exactly what the difference with the Nang mein is but I think it has something to do with the mixture of flour used in noodle making. I saw a korean show on it it look a lot like nang mein but they were clearly calling it Mak Guk Su. I have never had it. Any experience?

Soup

I like mul naeng myun (I love all the different spellings of korean words) the best with boiled beef, sliced korean pears, hot chinese mustard, sliced cucumbers, and a half boiled egg on top. This has to be in my top 10 list of favorite dishes. Sometimes I have a hard time chewing the noodles though and I have been known to use scissors.

I have had naeng myun with green noodles once, but I can't seem to find them in the United States. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were made out of?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I have had naeng myun with green noodles once, but I can't seem to find them in the United States.  I was wondering if anyone knew what they were made out of?
theres no way to know for sure, but maybe these had some "ssuk" (or "ssook") in addition to buckwheat?

Never had green noodles? how was it. On the Mul Nang Myun (I do the best I can on spelling korean words in english) I've had several variety of "mul" or is it called yooksoo? I've had some with Tochimi water, mul kimchi water, and the cold beef stock. I love the cold beef stock the best. It's still a bit cool for nang myun but I broke down last week. It was good.

As I've said in other treads I've given up in trying to make the broth so I buy the pre-packaged stuff. Not as good as most resturants but still passible. Any of you have a favorite?

As I've said in other treads I've given up in trying to make the broth so I buy the pre-packaged stuff.  Not as good as most resturants but still passible.  Any of you have a favorite?
what kind of trouble did you have with the broth?

I definitely didn't have the green noodles at a trendy place. It was at some dive somewhere in Seoul...but hey dives are the best!! It was also not as chewy as the usual buckwheat noodles.

I am too lazy to make naeng myun beef stock. I go to the local Korean store and buy it prepackaged/frozen. I like the half thawed beef/ice cube in my soup

[what kind of trouble did you have with the broth?

I have two main issues with the broth. First, it take a long time to make and it not all that easy. For nang myun at my house it is just me. My wife will not touch it. Texture issue with the noodles.

Second, the version I have made has not turned out a great broth (least to make my trouble worth while). (I did try using the trick of adding dashima in the broth).

So, for my fix, I still count on restaurants and prepackaged stuff.

[what kind of trouble did you have with the broth?
I have two main issues with the broth. First, it take a long time to make and it not all that easy.

Second, the version I have made has not turned out a great broth (least to make my trouble worth while). (I did try using the trick of adding dashima in the broth).

yes, it does take a long time. some good things in life are quick to make, but like a lot of other things, naengmyeon soup is not one of the quicker things. takes a lot of time...

Any of you try making the following accompanyments for Nang Myun?

Yellow Muster Sauce

Red pepper paste

These two are always served as condiments and there is a name for it but I don't know what it is.

Nan Myun kimchi?

If you've made any of these please post recipe.

when you use red pepper paste (go chu jang) in naeng myun that is called bi bim naeng myun. That doesn't include the broth like mul naeng myun. mul means water in korean.

I can't recall a naeng myun dish where you combine the mustard WITH the go chu jang. Then again you could always add go chu jang with anything

when you use red pepper paste (go chu jang) in naeng myun that is called bi bim naeng myun.  That doesn't include the broth like mul naeng myun.  mul means water in korean.

I can't recall a naeng myun dish where you combine the mustard WITH the go chu jang.  Then again you could always add go chu jang with anything

In every instance where I've order mul nang myun, you can alway count on it showing up to the table with these two condiments. A yellow chinese mustard sauce and a red pepper paste. This is not anything like the sauce you put on bibim nang myun.