• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tavolata

I hope that Ethan goes with his take on Italian rather than making it an exercise in "authenticity".

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 1 year later...

we've been before but took out of town friends on saturday- fantastic! We had about a 30 min wait at 8:30. Took our drinks upstairs and hung out on the couch.

Dinner was fabulous including fried polenta with a bagna cauldo sauce (sp), homemade mozzerela with pecan butter on baguette, gorgeous asparagus soup with tuna confit on top, gnocchi ala romano, another pasta I can't remember and a HUGE pork chop! could manage another bite so we had to forgo the zeppole this time........

I like it a lot, but replying "that's the way we do it" when customer after customer comments that the braised sauces are on the edge or over the edge of too salty is just wrong.

Guys, reduced sauces get salty. Too salty. It's a problem all over town.

I like it a lot, but replying "that's the way we do it" when customer after customer comments that the braised sauces are on the edge or over the edge of too salty is just wrong.

Different strokes, I guess. The first time I had the oxtail sauce at Tavolata, I raved about it to Ethan. He asked if I thought it was too salty, because someone had complained that it was. I told him absolutely not! I think people confuse rich, concentrated flavors with saltiness. But I guess he can't cook to just please me, right? :biggrin:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I think people confuse rich, concentrated flavors with saltiness.

Not confused. We can manage to get rich, concentrated flavors at home without oversalting. Sometimes restaurants hit it and sometimes they don't. I'm talking about cooks with high salt tolerance that are commenting.

Edited by tsquare (log)