• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max Brenner's chocolate lounge

alacarte

From a BusinessWeek article on "chocolate lounges":

And starting in June, chocophiles in Manhattan will be able to get a fix 24 hours a day when Max Brenner, a European-trained chocolatier, opens shops in Union Square and the East Village.

anyone know anything about this delicious-sounding venture, or Max Brenner?

• 2 months later...
From a BusinessWeek article on "chocolate lounges":
And starting in June, chocophiles in Manhattan will be able to get a fix 24 hours a day when Max Brenner, a European-trained chocolatier, opens shops in Union Square and the East Village.

anyone know anything about this delicious-sounding venture, or Max Brenner?

Israeli guy. Excellent truffles. In the league of Jacques Torres or better. I was always hoping he would show at the Chocolate Show in the fall.

The New York Times reported this morning that Max Brenner will opening tomorrow (841 Broadway, at 13th Street), with a second location to open next month at 141 Second Avenue (Ninth Street). The Broadway shop has a retail space on the bottom level, and a two level 150 seat restaurant.

I have to say that the Union Square location sure looked open when I took a cab by it last night.  Maybe it was a F&F or a preview.

They have been doing a lot of F&F, media visits and training - they're not open until tomorrow.

I was able to go last week and its definitely fun and worth checking out. While chocolate is good, emphasis is less on quality of chocolate (or snootiness of chocophiles) and more on indulging the big kid inside.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Can someone explain to me what is served in the restaurant section? Is it only chocolate? How are the prices?

I'm not sure I understand how a 150-seat restaurant section fits in with what looks like a chocolate store (based on the pictures in the link above).

Spontaneous visitors, take note: the place is experiencing spot unannounced closings for reasons they wouldn't specify. E.g. yesterday at 4:30PM they were closed, hoping to reopen in time for a 6PM dinner crowd. This included the shop and the restaurant. Call before you go.

Edited by ewindels (log)

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

It's my understanding that they're open 5:30 PM to 2 AM.

Unfortunately their web site is not updated with the Manhattan locations, but the menu section is pretty useful. (http://www.maxbrenner.com/menus.html)

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I tried to stop by to take a look today around 4:45. According to a sign in their window, the dining room is open at 5:30, but the chocolate shop is open starting at noon. It certainly wasn't open at 4:45, and there was a confused crowd outside wondering what was going on.

Went by today and was told they were opening for service at 5.. The store was open however.. There was someone handing our free samples of a chocolate covered candied nut.. It was really good. There was a lot of confusion and I was with a group.. I grabbed my freebee and will wait for someone to post there experience.

Edited by Daniel (log)

The store was open when I walked by at about 8:30 p.m.  Shit, I wish I knew they were giving out free samples.

I second the question about what they serve in the restaurant.

Savory "french toast" sandwiches the most interesting sounding is smoked goose breast,emmental cheese, fried onions

Savory waffles

other sandwiches, quiches, salads, soups, crepes

Breakfast menu (which I'm not sure if they're doing yet) Omeletes, waffles, eggs.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Savory waffles

Please elaborate... the only savory waffles I've had have been chicken and waffles - but even then, the maple syrup is key...

I suppose you could throw cheese or ham on them...

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I haven't tried any of them, just have seen the menu.  http://maxbrenner.com/menus/menus_usa/food_usa.pdf

Hrmmmm... I can't seem to open them in my browser... I did think it rather interesting that he offers a "reduced calorie" menu - in a chocolate lounge. God bless America! :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Do you have the free adobe acrobat reader? It's a PDF.

Oh, and he said that the only changes he made to his menus for americans was the addition of a take on s'mores and a few peanut butter dishes! So perhaps only in Israel/Australia/New York?

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Actually, my 'puter is maxed out with Acrobat and all the graphic programs... but for some odd reason, it's not coming up. I need to go back and try again.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I had dinner and dessert there this evening, and I must say that I really did not like it.

I had the french toast salami sandwich, and it was uninspiring. I could only eat half. I did enjoy the side salad that came with it. My husband had the waffles lorraine, which were better than my sandwich but still not enough to make me want to have another meal there.

The desserts, as one would hope, were much better than the food. We had the "sharing" platter for two so that we could taste a variety of things. There was a scoop of very good chocolate ice cream with some hard chocolate on top, a "banana split waffle," a milk chocolate fondue (we had the choice of white, milk, or dark) with fruit and marshmallows, a chocolate pop rock combination in a shot glass (my favorite), and one more thing I don't know the name of - it was a small layered chocolate pastry.

While the desserts were tasty, they were not spectacular. But even if they WERE spectacular, I cannot see myself going back. The atmosphere was like a zoo and the service was terrible. The place seemed very gimmicky - from the decor to the little beakers used for the sauce (which I witnessed some poor man trying in vain to get his mustard out of) to the hideous glasses with built-in metal straws they serve the milkshakes in. I get it - indulge the big kid in you. But I think he is trying too hard at it to the point of being tacky.

i am currently lounging around in my pjs, on the couch, eating a box of max brenner chocolates which my boyfriend just surprised me with. i'm officially a stereotype.

anyway, they're just lovely but vosges remains my favorite.

not crazy about the mint chocolate because it's too reminiscent of chewing gum. the dark chocolate with orchid didn't strike me as flavorful at all.

for those misses, there were a couple of real hits. dark chocolate cream with wildflower honey was very sensual. and dark chocolate praline with cornflakes was amazing- love the crunch!

and if it means anything, i really dig the packaging and the entire aesthetic of the shop. the graphics are fun and do a good job at saying "buy me because i'm so f'ng cute"

must brush my teeth and run a few laps now.

Whats the quality like of the chocolate? Where is it from.. The corn flakes sound good almost like a Ritter.

Also I am curious about the pop rock shot.. Can you explain it to me. Was it like a chocolate shot with berry flavored rocks? Was the drink bubbling.. Did you guys try there shake. Was the ice cream made there. Was it icey or creamy.