• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help tracking down a specific wine

Dryden

A couple of years ago, we were in Nice and had a great wine with dinner. Since we happened to be on our honeymoon at the time, the memory of the wine has stayed with us since then. In trying to track down the wine, we have finally been able to figure out what it was (well, one of two, anyway) but haven't been able to figure out a place to get it from. It is a Château les Crostes, either the Cuvée Traditionnelle or Cuvée Prestige.

Anyone have any thoughts for how to proceed from here?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

If it is in your means, one should simply purchase some of each and taste again!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'd be happy to - I don't even know where to purchase them... That's what I'm trying to figure out!

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

A couple of years ago, we were in Nice and had a great wine with dinner.  Since we happened to be on our honeymoon at the time, the memory of the wine has stayed with us since then.  In trying to track down the wine, we have finally been able to figure out what it was (well, one of two, anyway) but haven't been able to figure out a place to get it from.  It is a Château les Crostes, either the Cuvée Traditionnelle or Cuvée Prestige. 

Anyone have any thoughts for how to proceed from here?

Try winezap.com and see if there is a distributor who will ship to you. Google the wine and sometimes you can find a distributor that way. If that fails, go to www.lavinia.fr (which has stores in Spain and France). They ship to the US (shipped six bottles from Paris to us with no problem).

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

I found links to distributors that carry some Chateau les Crostes wines on wine-searcher.com. Although they are not what you are looking for, these firms may be able to direct you to a retail source that does have the wine. Good luck!

PS. This link may not work because I have a "Pro" account, but you can visit wine-searcher.com for free and just type in the phrase 'Chateau les Crostes.'

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

So, having exchanged several e-mails with the winery, they are only able/willing to ship wines within France. We have a friend who will be there who could take delivery, but we'd need them to then re-send the wines to New York... Is there any reason a person can't ship a few cases of wine to another person, from Paris to New York?

Is there any reason a person can't ship a few cases of wine to another person, from Paris to New York?

Not sure if it applies to shipments, but when you fly, you're only allowed a certain amount through customs. I would check with whomever you plan on shipping it with.

May I suggest you limit your initial purchase though? Besides what will likely be a large cost to ship due to the weight (and sending by the cheaper slow boat might subject the wine to harmful temperature variations), you may find your tastes have changed, or that the particular vintage you track down isn't comparable. Buying multiple cases of it up-front without tasting it first is a risky endeavor.

my 2 cents...