• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pulled Pork

Paulazuchef

For my husband's B-day his Mom gave him several pounds of Pulled pork from Burger's Smokehouse in CA. What would be the correct way to serve this? What Type of rolls? Are Potato rolls O.K.? Should the slaw go on the side or directly on the roll with the pork? Do any other condiments come in to play here? .....I really want to do this right guys!

Thanks for your input.

Paulazuchef :huh:

I like potato rolls, but tradition calls for cheap white squishy buns. If Burger's pulled pork is righteous (I like their smoked hog jowl :biggrin: ), don't drown the meat in sauce: pile some on a bun bottom, drizzle over a little sauce if you like, and top with slaw. Eat. Repeat.

There are lots of sauce options, depending on which Q region you choose to honor. My preference lately is for a Lexington NC-style 'dip' - mostly vinegar, a little catsup. I'm happy to post a recipe for that and/or my killer coleslaw, if you like.

Pulled pork, food of the gods...

His mom sounds like my kind of people, do you suppose she'd adopt me? :biggrin:

I'd put the slaw on the side, and let the eater load it up when he/she chooses. That way you don't wilt the bun. If you're adventuresome, you might consider julienned carrots on the side. Lots of crunch and mouthfeel.

It's heresy, but I'd consider steak fries on the side, and a choice of two or three dips. Maybe a vinegar-catsup as noted, an asian (thai with peppers), and a warm, sweet pepper relish with mangos.

A few cold pilsners and you're on your way to bliss...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

How could I have forgotten the beer??

Okay, I yield to Rail Paul on the slaw: serve it on the side. (Hi, my name is Cathy and I'm a kitchen fascist.) BUT encourage everyone to try at least one sandwich with the slaw on the pork on the bun. This is not instinctive behavior, unless you're a good ole boy/girl.

Paulazuchef, can you tell us more about the meal scenario? Is this for a party -- a group of people -- or is this romantic dinner for two? Those types of concerns might influence your course of action.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd be surprised if the pulled pork didn't already have some seasoning/sauce on it beyond any smokey flavor that could have come through during the cooking process. Thus, you'll want to be careful that your dips or sauces don't ruin the seasoning on the pork.

One thing you might consider (if you're of an interactive mind-set) is to try the pork with nothing added. Then conduct a tasting using different sauces to determine the group's likes and dislikes. This type of event with something as relatively mundane as pulled pork can be quite fun. Hell, Shaw and I had a hot dog tasting party once (I can't really understand why any of those guests have turned down all subsequent dinner invitations :wink: ).

Edit: Gee, it would help to check for grammar before posting!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Make sure no sauce is on the meat. Serve the meat on large platter with tongs. Also on the table:

Stack of buns, something soft.

Baked beans

Potato salad

Vinegar slaw

BBQ sauce that has been warmed on stove

Favorite brand or homemade hot sauce.

Pork on bun, then add slaw, then add hot sauce. BBQ sauce optional depending on taste of pork. Beans and potato salad go on the side.

Thats how we did it in Memphis anyway.

Ron, I think you're right. Let 'em assemble their own sandwiches.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Paulazuchef, can you tell us more about the meal scenario? Is this for a party -- a group of people -- or is this romantic dinner for two? Those types of concerns might influence your course of action.

This would just be a casual dinner for the the two of us (in other words, we are selfish and will be "hogging" it all for ourselves).

The Pork is ever so slightly bathed in a delicious barbeque sauce and comes in a 32oz plastic container. They don't say if they use a rub.

We had it last night on potato rolls with some slaw on the side. I must say it was devine. I would reccommend this product without hesitation. If anyone wants to order, here is their website: www.smokehouse.com , or phone# 1-800-624-5426.

Thanks for all you input!