• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trimmings from pork spareribs

Anna N

I grilled two racks of spareribs last night and for the first time I trimmed them up to be nice and "square". Now I have quite a lot of trimmings (the long flesh flap, the part with the tiny bones, etc.) I hate to waste this but the meat does not look very promising as the base for a stew or much else. What do you do with these trimmings?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would simmer the trimmings with a bit of green onion, fresh ginger, star anise and garlic to make a simple broth for an asian noodle/vegetable soup or make rice with it.

edited to add peppercorns, a few sprigs of cilantro and a couple hot chilis of choice to the broth. :smile:

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I usually just wrap it all in a foil packet, seasoned, and cook it along with my ribs whether they be on the grill or in the oven (2+ hours at 275F). When it's done you can let it all cool a bit and then separate the meat from the cartilage and whatnot for sandwiches- just add sauce if you like (bottled chipotle sauce works for me) and top it all with some coleslaw. It makes for a good next-day lunch.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I save all my pork trimmings, less bone/gristle/membrane, in the freezer until I have enough to grind them along with lean beef to use for meatloaf, meatballs etc.

SB (would quote Emeril, but .... :wink:

Make sausage! :smile:

=R=

That thought had occured to me but I am still chasing down fat back and casings. I might grind and freeze it though for the future. Thanks.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I usually just wrap it all in a foil packet, seasoned, and cook it along with my ribs whether they be on the grill or in the oven (2+ hours at 275F). When it's done you can let it all cool a bit and then separate the meat from the cartilage and whatnot for sandwiches- just add sauce if you like (bottled chipotle sauce works for me) and top it all with some coleslaw. It makes for a good next-day lunch.

Guess I should have asked YESTERDAY! Thanks, that's a great idea for next time.

My 2004 eG Blog

Make your dogs incredibly happy !

:laugh:

Ah, but the only dog I have is already stuffed! :laugh:

My 2004 eG Blog

I save all my pork trimmings, less bone/gristle/membrane, in the freezer until I have enough to grind them along with lean beef to use for meatloaf, meatballs etc.

SB (would quote Emeril, but ....  :wink:

Good thought. Between the sausage and meatloaf ideas I am inclined to grind and freeze. Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for all the great ideas. I knew I could count on you.

My 2004 eG Blog

When I do trim them I simply cook the trimmings. The flap always comes off the smoker before the ribs and thus becomes the smokers, that's me, treat.

However, the other ideas to save it for grindings are good as well.

At my place if there are ribs a cookin, they manage to get eatin'

I simply chop everything very fine, removing the bits of bone, fry it up nice and brown then add flour, salt & pepper, stir well until the flour is browned then add milk, whole, skim or non-fat, to make a nice gravy. This can be reheated and served over biscuits, mashed, boiled or steamed potatoes, or potato pancakes. (I have been known to ladle it over a poached egg on toast.)

I can always think of lots of ways to use gravy. I happen to like this stuff over steamed aspargus, even though some people wince when they see me consuming it with gusto.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm with lancastermike, those are my treats for doing the work and I eat them before the guests arrive, even if the guest is my wife and she's arriving from upstairs.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."