• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Chicken Salad

Blue Heron

Does anyone have a good Curry Chicken Salad recipe that they would be willing to share? Or perhaps point me towards a particular cookbook that has a recipe they have tried with success? With the warm weather we're having, it would be nice to make one ahead of time to serve at lunch or dinner. (I am a curry novice, and so a google search has not been helpful in that I'm not sure which ingredients will produce the best results).

Blue Heron,

This is from Mark Bittman's Book "How to Cook Everthing" (One of my Bibles).

1 lb of Chicken (I usuall use leftover roasted or poached chicken breast)

1 T of mayo

1 T plain yogurt

Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

1 T "all purpose" Curry powder or Garam Masala

1/2 cup diced apple or 1/2 cup lighthly toasted almonds slivered

(I would use a little of both)

He also suggests stirring in a little chutney, if you like.

Does this sound like what you were looking for?

-Paulazuchef :blink:

Paulazuchef,

thanks... that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, plus it looks easy, too, a bonus! Have you or others used chutney before in a chicken salad? Are chutneys always sweet and cinnamon-y in flavor? Are there some that are less so?

I will get you my mother's recipe. Mango chutney, however, is the key ingredient.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Does anyone have a good Curry Chicken Salad recipe that they would be willing to share?  Or perhaps point me towards a particular cookbook that has a recipe they have tried with success?  With the warm weather we're having, it would be nice to make one ahead of time to serve at lunch or dinner.  (I am a curry novice, and so a google search has not been helpful in that I'm not sure which ingredients will produce the best results).

I have served a very successful Curried Chicken Salad for years. I don't know if you are looking for a "just us" kind of salad, or something for entertaining. This is more for entertaining. It is absolutely delicious, great fun, very festive, beautiful to look at, and the guests really enjoy it.

My sister, who hates to cook or entertain and is wretched at it, was forced to host a luncheon in her neighborhood recently, because all of the other wives just flat out told her it was "her turn" and they were all coming.

She called me, panic-stricken. I gave her this recipe, step by step. She was a smash hit.

It's already on eGullet, over in the India board, under Simple Summer Garden Curries (or something like that, started by StellaBella), and I'd rather not retype it all here. But, it's a winner, for sure.

:smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll have the recipe from her on Thursday, I am told. However, the general outlines if you wish to reverse-engineer it are that she uses quite a bit of mango chutney -- always a natural one such as Major Grey's -- and water chestnuts for crunch plus a lot of fresh-ground white pepper. The water chestnuts give the recipe a bit of a '70s feel, but they work. My mother, Suvir Saran, and I all have pretty much the same opinion of prepackaged curry powders: They suck. A little bit for background isn't going to do much damage, but you never want to build a dish around that primary flavor. You actually get a lot of punch out of the white pepper, and shifting the focus to the mango chutney -- a product that I think tastes mighty fine out of a jar if you choose a good brand -- changes the dish entirely.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Blue Heron, my "curried" chicken salad is very similar to the Mark Bittman recipe above, without the yogurt and with mango chutney. The secret to a good salad is to balance the "curry" flavor with the chutney. Make the dressing separately and balance the ingredients before adding the chicken. There is nothing Indian about this dish except the name "curry" but it's good.

I am waiting for Stevens mothers recipe.

You can also make simple tandoori chicken and simply serve it atop a bed of tossed greens that have a robust dressing. The warm chicken against a bed of well seasoned greens is a great contrast in the summer. While certainly not traditionally Indian, it is delicious.

I add berries in the salad and use some ginger powder, cayenne, mint and cilantro in the salad. Add these to any types of greens that you would usually enjoy. Boneless tandoori style grilled chicken breasts are great with this salad.

Jaymes - Thanks! I checked out your Curried Chicken Salad recipe and printed out a copy for myself. It looks divine as well as festive and really nice for a special luncheon.

Steven S. - That is a great tip about fresh ground white pepper. I don't know why, but I've never bought white peppercorns before. I'll have to pick some up. (I also just read your thread on Pepper w/ link to Wash. Post article).

Sandra - Thanks! Do you also use Major Grey's Mango Chutney? Is the consensus that it is the best?

Suvir - Thank you for the add'l tips. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make tandoori. However, the idea of warm grilled chicken pieces over the greens w/ dressing and condiments/seasonings sounds very delicious.

I once tasted a yummy Curried Chicken Salad that had rice in it. Has anyone made one with rice before?

I keep remembering more: Poaching the chicken in a rich chicken stock is another important step in mom's recipe.

Blue Heron: I should add that, as my brain kicks in, I'm remembering that Major Grey's is a name applied to chutneys from several different brands. The one I'm advocating is I believe the Bombay brand. I know I have some notes somewhere, but if you saw my desk you'd understand why I'm working from memory.

TANDOORI ROAST CORNISH GAME HENS

Serves 4

For the best flavor, the hens should be marinated overnight, but in a pinch, marinate 4 hours. Line the roasting pan with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Also can grill chicken parts for how long?

2 Cornish game hens

1 tablespoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Juice of 1 lemon

MARINADE

1 small onion

4 garlic cloves

2 inches peeled, fresh ginger

1 teaspoon ground, toasted cumin

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Pinch ground cloves

Pinch ground cinnamon

Pinch garam masala

1/3 cup yogurt

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon canola oil

2 tablespoons canola oil

Lemon wedges, for serving

1. Pull and cut the skin off the hens. Make several deep slashes in the breasts and thighs.

2. Mix the paprika, salt, turmeric and lemon juice together in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the hens and then massage the birds with the spices for about 1 minute to ensure that the spices are rubbed in nicely. Set aside, covered for half an hour.

3. Meanwhile, put all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process on low speed until smooth.

4. Toss the hens in the marinade until coated. Place in a zip loc bag and marinade in the refrigerator overnight or for up to 2 days.

5. Bring the hens to room temperature by placing outside the refrigerator for an hour before ready to cook.

6. Preheat the oven to 500?F. Add the 2 tablespoons oil to the bowl with the hens and stir with a rubber spatula to coat. Remove hens from marinade with whatever marinade sticks to them. Put them on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve with lemon wedges.

Note: I prefer using this recipe and carving the hens and tossing the warm meat over pre-plated salad plates. It has always been a hit at lunches and summer outdoor dinners.

You are most welcome and thanks. It will become a favorite of yours if you try it. It is really very easy and just so simple and nice.

As for the salad, I forgot I often throw in some candied ginger with the greens. Also when I have fresh okra available, I make Okra Crisps and use these as a garnish.

A kumquat and balsamic vinaigrette is also wonderful with the warm chicken and the greens.

I have left the grilling time with a question mark for I have yet to test the recipe on the grill. I have timing for the tandoor and that does no good for most. If someone does grill the hens outdoors, would you please share that time with us. Thanks.

I know next to nothing about Indian food. That's my opening disclaimer, there will be more. My idea of a curried chicken salad would be cold poached chicken with mayonnaise flavored with curry powder. The curry powder would be a commercial blend, but the mayo would be home made or why bother. I might have celery in thin slices, dice or chunks, but I'd not use any fruit or chutney. Other inclusions would be savory, not sweet. Nevertheless, I will offer my endorsement of the house chutneys from Kalustyan on Lexington just north of 28th Street. This is a shop I've known since it specialized in middle eastern and Armenian delicacies. Some of those are still there, but as the location has turned into a little India shopping street and the new owners are Indian, the focus is now on Indian food more than the others. I recommend the hot and medium chutneys with and without nuts. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Indian cuisine and Kalustyan can tell me if they're really worthwhile products from a more knowledgeable point of view.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux,

An aunt of mine would make open faced curried chicken sandwiches that seem to have been made with a chicken salad very similar to what you describe.

And yes I always made the Mayonnaise with her. It was worth the extra effort. Which by the way is nothing if you have a food processor. My mother made the mayonnaise by beating the ingredients with her hands. I was lucky to have grown up knowing these comforts that we often take for granted.

I model my curried chicken salad after one that used to be available at Rebecca's in Boston and the Silver Palate cookbook version. If I have the time I'll poach chicken breasts in a little broth with a few peppercorns, cloves and carrot tossed in, but it tastes just as good with leftover roast or grilled chicken.

The dressing is mayonnaise, a little lemon juice and curry powder (Madras brand). I leave the chicken in fairly large chunks and add in chunks of sweet red pepper, granny smith apples, grapes and either dry roasted peanuts or cashews. This makes a great lunch to eat as is or as a sandwich on a baguette. I showed my daughter how to make it and now she makes it to take to school whenever we have extra chicken around.....not your standard high school lunch fare. I think substituting chutney and pepper for the curry powder sounds like a great variation.

Paulazuchef -- I love Bitman's book also and use it all the time.

Most of my best recipes are for entertaining... comes from years as a caterer, I guess. But another successful chicken curry salad starts with fresh pineapples which you halve, then chop up the meat, mix it with chicken, curried dressing, cashews, coconut, green peppers, green onions, and serve in the pineapple shells. Can dig the recipe out, but sounds like you're well on your way to many options, so you might not need it.

It was wonderful, though....and again, impressive presentation, which is totally not required around the old kitchenette table!! :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.