• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SoRedux - Kansas City

I haven't found a thread discussing SoRedux, so I'm taking initiative.

Does anyone know if the restaurant has a website? If I remember correctly, the Sour Octopus did.

Has anyone been recently? Reports? Would love to hear what the restaurant/Chef Peterman is up to.

Chef Peterman?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Does anyone know if the restaurant has a website?  If I remember correctly, the Sour Octopus did.

Has anyone been recently?  Reports?  Would love to hear what the restaurant/Chef Peterman is up to. 

Chef Peterman?

u.e.

maybe a website in a few months, it won't be very detailed maybe just a few lines or so, no pics, no hipe just a link to mapquest maybe. Not submitting the name to zaggat just wanting to cook here.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

maybe a website in a few months, it won't be very detailed maybe just a few lines or so, no pics, no hipe just a link to mapquest maybe. Not submitting the name to zaggat just wanting to cook here.

Chef Peterman:

1. Thanks for p.m.'ing me a copy of your menu. Looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to visit.

2. Re: website. Will you update your menu online? Alos, just curious as to why no pics? Are you fearful that other chefs will rip off your ideas? I understand not wanting the "hype" - but what are you afraid of?

3. Re: Zagat. Perfectly respected, glad to hear that you're focused on the food, not the opinions. :wink:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Chef Peterman:

1. Thanks for p.m.'ing me a copy of your menu. Looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to visit.

2. Re: website. Will you update your menu online? Alos, just curious as to why no pics? Are you fearful that other chefs will rip off your ideas? I understand not wanting the "hype" - but what are you afraid of?

3. Re: Zagat. Perfectly respected, glad to hear that you're focused on the food, not the opinions. :wink:

u.e.

Never said I was afraid of anyone. Why should I take the time to do all the photo shots for Mrs. Jones (just a generic term)to look at and then when she comes in and finds Veal Tounge on the menu and relizes she has no choices on the menu because all she did was stare at the pics. It's not worth my time to try to draw in the people that want pretty food just to come in and try to basterize the menu to their liking.

I might put a sample menu up, I'm not going to take the time to update it everyday.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the restaurant has a website?  If I remember correctly, the Sour Octopus did.

Has anyone been recently?  Reports?  Would love to hear what the restaurant/Chef Peterman is up to. 

Chef Peterman?

u.e.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

Folks, I've cleaned up a bunch of contentious posts that really did not advance the topic at hand. Please, let's all do our best to keep this topic on-course or I will have no choice but to remove it entirely.

Carry on!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The website has certainly given me an opportunity to see what I've missed and what I need to try. Im making sure I go and possibly multiple times..

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 5 months later...

If you've seen Seinfeld's "The Soup Nazi" episode...it's like that except in this case the food doesn't come near to "making your knees buckle".

Rule #1- Don't ask for substitutions of any kind allowed..even for a religious reason.

Rule #2- No vegetarians of any kind allowed.

Rule #3- No photography in the dining room.

If you follow these rules, I think you'll be safe from having a disgruntled chef screaming profanity at you. Im just glad it didn't happen to me.

If you want bottled water, call ahead to see if they have it or not. I've heard that they don't have bottled water but that was a few months ago also I've heard they run out of wine glasses quite often. Although, his wine pricing is very reasonable.

I believe it's a la carte menu now but last time I went, it was tasting menu only. I'd go for the offal and braised items that seems to be Peterman's forte. I would try to avoid anything that requres a correct meat temperature (i.e duck breast, beef, veal chops, rack of lamb, etc). Not one item was cooked correctly, either it was extremely over cooked or it was raw. Plus, it's hard to eat those kinds of food with a butter knife (thats all they offered in my last visit).

Personally, I'd go to Room39 for about the same pricing. But I'm glad I had my one visit and I do look forward to hearing how your experience differs from mine.

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

BTW, another reason to go to Room39 instead, be prepared to pay a mandatory 20% service fee as your tip. and no...you're not getting the Per Se staff to serve you.

If you've seen Seinfeld's "The Soup Nazi" episode...it's like that except in this case the food doesn't come near to "making your knees buckle".

Personally, I'd go to Room39 for about the same pricing. But I'm glad I had my one visit and I do look forward to hearing how your experience differs from mine.

Heh.

I've been to rm 39 dozens of times for lunch, but only once for dinner. I was disappointed by the dinner, which was one of the first nights they were open for it. I had coq au vin, which was pretty mediocre (mine is better :) I've been meaning to try again, because I like it so much for lunch.

We wanted to go somewhere new tonight. My original thought was bluestem, but we decided to hold off on that until a special occaison in the spring and do the all-in gluttony menu, which is more than we wanted to spend tonight... I'll let everyone know what I think. The offal and the blood & guts is one of the reasons I wanted to try this place. Other than brains & eggs with my grandmother, and tripe in pho or menudo, I've never really had a chance to try much of that kind of thing (unless you count tongue, which I don't), at least not that I can remember.

So all in all, the experience was bordering on amazing.

First things first, when we got there, the restaurant was almost empty, only one other table was seated. We briefly discussed ditching, but our curiousity got the best of us. I'm glad we did!

The menu was prix fixe, the only options were $10 supplement courses of pan roasted foie gras, or lobster. I opted for the lobster, but skipped the foie gras. Every other time I've had foie it was a similar preparation, so I decided to pass. Also, they were having technical problems with the computer, so the menu was oral, which means I missed out on detailed descriptions of some dishes, and probably missed some subtleties. After the first couple of courses, our server started explaining things more thoroughly. We opted for the $25 wine pairing, which seemed like a good deal. The wines were all pretty generous pours.

We managed to eat every bite, and while we weren't miserably full, it was a lot of food. Having the foie also would have been too much. The portions were large enough to not be ridiculous, but small enough that you could finish everything if you wanted to. Probably one or two more bites past what keller talks about (somewhere in TFL cookbook he says something about the ideal portion being small enough that you're left really wanting one more bite). Platings were all simple, but attractive. Very little garnish. No sauce squiggles or dots or dustings. The catfish was amazing, the steak frites au poivre was excellent, and the only technical complaint is that the lamb was a bit rare. Not inedibly so, but on the verge. We got steak knives for the steak, but not for the lamb. I would definitely eat there again without hesitation. It was almost exactly what I was in the mood for. Food, not cuisine. For a grand total of about $80 a person (there was no service charge in the total), it's a very good deal, especially factoring the wine pairing. And the pacing, which I had been expecting to be glacially slow, was quite snappy. if anything, another minute or two between some of the courses would have been fine, a couple of times I still had a sip of wine left when the next course came out. No theatrics, although the chef did come out briefly and talk to the other table, and when I left they were all at the bar.

I can post the details of each course if anyone is interested.

Since it was only a few blocks away and on the way home, we stopped at Le Fou Frog for a glass of wine. I asked to see a chalkboard, and it looks like it would have been a splendid night to eat there, as well.