• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice in the soup bowl

lower class?  I didn't know this.  I remember my mom yelling at me everytime I accidently dropped rice in the banchan during meals.  I hear holding chopsticks and your spoon in the same hand is really rude but I do it ALL the time. 

My excuse is that i'm only half korean.  Thats why I dont know much on the dosirak!

I see the holding of chopsticks and spoon all the time. Some are really talented and hold both in the same hand and switch in one swift move.

Getting your rice in the banchan, especially the soup, I have been told is a no-no -- one of the few ones. I ask about etiquette all the time. I've heard mixed things about leaving the chopsticks in the rice. The younger generation seems to not care about it. Older people say it brings bad luck. Lonely Planet says it's an indicator of death because they look like incense sticks.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Getting your rice in the banchan, especially the soup, I have been told is a no-no -- one of the few ones. I ask about etiquette all the time. I've heard mixed things about leaving the chopsticks in the rice. The younger generation seems to not care about it. Older people say it brings bad luck. Lonely Planet says it's an indicator of death because they look like incense sticks.

OMG I would never leave the chopsticks sticking up in the rice!!!! Yeah, rice in the soup is really bad too. However I always dip my spoonful of rice in the doengjang chigae (god I hate spelling out korean words) and try very carefully not to drop even one grain of rice in it. Do you mix your rice into your individual bowls of soup, like seaweed soup? I hear this is bad, but I do it anyways.

I love the spoon and chopsticks in the same hand, it is very convenient and much more easier than constantly picking up each utensil after you are done with the other. This is why I love the long handled korean spoon better than western spoons

ps: sorry for throwing the thread off topic guys

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

OMG I would never leave the chopsticks sticking up in the rice!!!!  Yeah, rice in the soup is really bad too.  However I always dip my spoonful of rice in the doengjang chigae (god I hate spelling out korean words) and try very carefully not to drop even one grain of rice in it.  Do you mix your rice into your individual bowls of soup, like seaweed soup? I hear this is bad, but I do it anyways. 

I love the spoon and chopsticks in the same hand, it is very convenient and much more easier than constantly picking up each utensil after you are done with the other.  This is why I love the long handled korean spoon better than western spoons

ps:  sorry for throwing the thread off topic guys

My folks were never really stickers for formality at the family table but I do know putting chopsticks into a rice bowl so that they stand by themselves is a huge no no. As for the soup and getting rice into it, I am always guilty of this. I actually this this today at lunch but no one in my family cares.

I also do like korean spoons but for soups I find it for transporting liquids from bowl to mouth, you don't get a whole hot (e.g., chinease soup spoon is much better).

Getting your rice in the banchan, especially the soup, I have been told is a no-no -- one of the few ones.  I ask about etiquette all the time.  I've heard mixed things about leaving the chopsticks in the rice.  The younger generation seems to not care about it.  Older people say it brings bad luck.  Lonely Planet says it's an indicator of death because they look like incense sticks.

Okay the no rice in the soup thing makes me crazy because I find that things like soondubu chigae (spicy tofu stew) tastes better if I dunk a whole spoon of rice in it because the rice gives it body and the stew gives the rice a great taste. Nobody has said anything to me when I tried doing it the rebel way in their presence but I have never ever seen anyone else put their rice in the soup which I think is really crazy because they are missing out.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

i've heard that about the rice in the soup as well, but every korean i've ever known has done it..

i think it's one of those things that say, if you were having dinner with the president or something you wouldn't do it, but otherwise no one really cares..

I find that things like soondubu chigae (spicy tofu stew) tastes better if I dunk a whole spoon of rice in it because the rice gives it body and the stew gives the rice a great taste.  ...I have never ever seen anyone else put their rice in the soup which I think is really crazy because they are missing out.
heathen!
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

My folks were never really stickers for formality at the family table but I do know putting chopsticks into a rice bowl so that they stand by themselves is a huge no no.  As for the soup and getting rice into it, I am always guilty of this.  I actually this this today at lunch but no one in my family cares. 

I also do like korean spoons but for soups I find it for transporting liquids from bowl to mouth, you don't get a whole hot (e.g., chinease soup spoon is much better).

I do it if I have an individual bowl of soup, especially dwinjang chigae -- a good stinky bowl of dwinjang chigae. Man, I love that stuff!

I'm not much of a person for mixing rice with soup beyond gumbo. A waygook friend of mine said she was at a restaurant and the waitress took my friend's rice and dumped it into her bowl of soup, saying it was the Korean way. Needless to say she never returned to that restaurant.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

I love putting rice with the broth. So I use a spoon to transfer from the communal pot to my rice bowl, then eat. However, I still get rice grains into the soup. No way around it but its all friends and family anyway. I love relaxed laid back tables.

To continue slightly off topic, I always put rice in my jambon...the spice of the soup and the soothing of the rice just go together so well.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

To continue slightly off topic, I always put rice in my jambon...the spice of the soup and the soothing of the rice just go together so well.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

i've heard that about the rice in the soup as well, but every korean i've ever known has done it..

i think it's one of those things that say, if you were having dinner with the president or something you wouldn't do it, but otherwise no one really cares..

What's interesting is I'm the only one of my friends who does it when we go out. At home is different. Perhaps my friends are just can't loosen up. I know it's not a big deal but I feel self-conscious.

--NeroW

What's interesting is I'm the only one of my friends who does it when we go out.  At home is different.  Perhaps my friends are just can't loosen up. I know it's not a big deal but I feel self-conscious.
ill do it of course for gomtang and seolleongtang, but not for sundubu. some jjigaes yes too. ill give it a try for sundubu though! :laugh:

rice in jampong soup, very nice!!!

I sometimes make this at home (from premade packet) and the rice in the soup is far suprior to the poor noodles they give you in the package. I also sometime put Duk.

rice in jampong soup, very nice!!!

I sometimes make this at home (from premade packet) and the rice in the soup is far suprior to the poor noodles they give you in the package. I also sometime put Duk.

I also had dinner at a sundubu place this week. Funny. But I didn't dunk my rice into it. The rice was dolsot bap (the stone pot thing). I think it's cool and all. Yet each time I try to make that rice tea with the hot water and the scrapings at the bottom. I still think it tastes like dishwater.

Is it just one of those things you have to have grown up with to appreciate?

Is it just one of those things you have to have grown up with to appreciate?
i dont feel like its an aquired taste the way, say duenjang or soondae, might be. its just hot water and roasted rice. the hot water has a nice toasty flavour and its starchy good.

you say that youve tried it many times and each time you didnt like it (unless you like dishwater). you dont actually have to appreciate it. its like frosting (which i dont like in general and i will usually scrape it off). just enjoy the cake (which would be the sundubu) and let the rest go untouched and give the bowl to me.

Edited by melonpan (log)

i actually had soondoobo a few nights ago, and yes, i dunked my rice in it :D

heh. and it tasted better right? haha.

i've heard the dishwater comment a lot actually. maybe it is an acquired taste. *shrug*

--NeroW

cooking soondoobu right now. Rest of the family is doing tacos. So I'm usring a small clay bowl to cook it in. I guest the small individual bowls (like the one in soondubu houses) could be a solution. However, I like the communal bowls they put out in korean, chinease and janpanease meals.

Yet each time I try to make that rice tea with the hot water and the scrapings at the bottom.  I still think it tastes like dishwater.
personally i wouldnt know since ive never had dishwater.

i'm not fan of it either, though my mum loves it..

heh. and it tasted better right? haha.

yes, it did.. there's something synergistic about the dipping of the rice into the broth..

when i just had the soondooboo by itself it was too hot [both temp [from a stone dolsot] and chilliwise], eating the rice separately put the alchemical window back too far or too forward by a smidgen [depending on when the rice was eaten].

Edited by Tae.Lee (log)