• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2006 Jazzfest

highchef

It's got a hellofa line-up. here's the link. My kid is going over tonight and catching Dylan in the morning. He's coming home Sun. morning and I was trying to get him to bring me home some strawberries on the way back through Hammond to make some preserves. He won't bring me anything from Jazz fest though, but he might take some pic's of what's cookin' if 'he thinks about it'. Yes, he's spoiled, but he's also not a foodie. The girl-friend might be more cooperative. If you go, please share!

Patty

You know...I can't go, but my mind is filled with visions of Crawfish Monica....ooooh its been so long. Those were some of the best times! :wacko:

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

about the only thing I can do is log on to wwoz then make myself a po-boy with a tall iced tea and sit back and listen. It isn't the same though without my crawfish bread to start the day and then to end by stopping off at Liuzza's by the track on the way out.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I will be there, of course. Though today, if I make it out, I'm going to be very late.

I have a bunch of food stuff in the new Offbeat, but it's not online yet, so you'll need to pick one up from a hawker in front of the Fairgrounds or somewhere else in town.

Good weekend out there. It will be interesting to see how things fared with the Best Restaurant in the World.

Happy Jazz Fest to you all! Your goal, if you are from out of town, should be to have only enough cash, or room on your credit cards, to get your car out of the airport parking lot. Beyond that, just do like Louis Armstrong used to do, "Leave it all behind you." Thanks for coming. We appreciate it.

There aren't many people who can or would do this in a place this messed up. My hat's of to everyone who managed to get it together and participate-vendors, musicians, krewe, The Fairgrounds, everybody. Thanks. Have fun this week.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Is it just me, or are most of the folks outside what is usually considered jazz?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Is it just me, or are most of the folks outside what is usually considered jazz?

They don't book much jazz at Jazz Fest. That's why it's so popular.

While we're plugging our own publications, I have some notes on Fair Grounds-area restaurants (Cafe Degas, Lola's and Asian Pacific Cafe) in the May issue of New Orleans Magazine. It won't be out until the second week of Jazz Fest. It doesn't seem to be online either. You'll just have to buy a copy. :cool:

Don't miss the cooking demos. Some fine chefs will be giving away their secrets. That's my favorite part of Jazz Fest.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Chris nails it on the head. Again.

This is part of my plan for the weekend. I'll drive folks in through the back side, down St Bernard, onto DeSaix and into the neighborhood to park. That should do it. Long time since the storm. Long time. It's still a mess.

I wish, I wish, I wish, I were there. Maybe if I click my black Mary Janes togther three times I'll magically be transported?

Any chance of getting any pics from anyone?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Actually, you can "virtually" be there.

Microsoft is doing a 6 hour "live" broadcast on Sunday afternoon, both weekends. You can read about it here.

I think that it's a great idea and I wish that they had started doing this a long time ago.

I wish, I wish, I wish, I were there. Maybe if I click my black Mary Janes togther three times I'll magically be transported?

Not from the child who says he's my son. He forgot his camera and the girlfriend forgot to charge her battery. Man, the priorities of these kids these days.

BUT, he said Dylan was singing the blues (any surprises?) and was wonderful, he got to see a legend, and the kid is a musician...I'm proud. Well, at least he knows what to see in the 2 days he's there, and he gets that from mom. I'm trying to get him to go see the Doctor (John), but since he's following Dylan, I guess that's a given. God Bless New Orleans. I know at least 200 of my bucks are being spent there. I'll get the final total when I get the MasterCard bill! (the 200 was just beer money, hey! it's his birthday, and he's legal now)

Microsoft is doing a 6 hour "live" broadcast on Sunday afternoon, both weekends. You can read about it here.

I think that it's a great idea and I wish that they had started doing this a long time ago.

Hey, thanks, Mayhaw Man! I'll certainly be checking that out.

-Sounds awfully rich!

Not from the child who says he's my son. He forgot his camera and the girlfriend forgot to charge her battery. Man, the priorities of these kids these days.

BUT, he said Dylan was singing the blues (any surprises?) and was wonderful, he got to see a legend, and the kid is a musician...I'm proud. Well, at least he knows what to see in the 2 days he's there, and he gets that from mom. I'm trying to get him to go see the Doctor (John), but since he's following Dylan, I guess that's a given. God Bless New Orleans. I know at least 200 of my bucks are being spent there. I'll get the final total when I get the MasterCard bill! (the 200 was just beer money, hey! it's his birthday, and he's legal now)

You sound like such a cool mom (dad?)!

However. I feel that forggeting not only ONE but BOTH cameras is grounds for revocation of beer money! :raz:

-Sounds awfully rich!

I'm packing now and will be in Brigsten's having dinner later today. Tomorrow Jazzfest!

At dinner tonight, remember these two words if you are not able to remember any other words in the English language

Pecan Pie

You can thank me later

You sound like such a cool mom (dad?)!

However. I feel that forggeting not only ONE but BOTH cameras is grounds for revocation of beer money! :raz:

I'm the mom. He gets his taste in music (and beer, probably) from me. He gets his talent from his dad.

I think the money's done been spent, or I'd take it back in a heart beat...

not only did they not bring cameras but they're trying to tell me they can't afford to bring me a poster! such brats! I think I'll spike his birthday cake with ex-lax...

They don't book much jazz at Jazz Fest. That's why it's so popular.

Aw, be nice. Don't you think there's still plenty of jazz if you're looking for it, in Economy Hall and the big jazz tent? Do brass bands count as jazz? I'll tell you, coming in out of the heat and hearing Irvin Mayfield's orchestra is my idea of cooling off (well, was, last year). It's true the big names have absolutely nothing to do with jazz and only marginally to do with heritage. But good music, anyway.

And since this isn't e-Eardrum, I'll get back on topic by adding my own swoon over the cochon de lait poboys I had last year and the year before. Oh, man. How I wish I were there. We went for French Quarter Fest this year (because Spring break fell at the wrong time for jazz fest), and as soon as I got home I went online to see if I could pop back this weekend. $700 was just too much for popping back, though. FQF was pleasant, but culinarily speaking, couldn't hold a candle to the Best Restaurant in the World (Mayhaw Man, I think you better copyright that one).

Susan

...and a hard rain is a gonna fall.

Eat up today guys, you're gonna get this crap tomorrow. It just ain't barbeque weather, and the tents arn't going to hold up in this wind, so it's indoors on Sunday.

Gotta make a birthday cake, any suggestions? (no, I'm not going to spike it, I want to eat some too.)

I'm thinking lemon velvet cake.

I'm listening RIGHT NOW as I type at wwoz.org. Wish I could be there....

---Guy

Edited by pennbrew (log)

OK, so after a series of disasters and complicated family situations I have written off today (though I will be there tomorrow and all of next weekend).

What I want to know is WHAT DID YOU EAT and maybe, if you happen to have been unable to make it this weekend, what are you looking forward to eating next weekend? Also, what is your favorite food at the Fair Grounds?-you can have more than one-this isn't pie or cake :wink: .

I'll start.

I will, as soon as I can get in the gate, get a big rosemint tea, and get to the booth, order up a couchon de lait po boy. I'll eat it at one of the big round cable reel tables and then, only then, will I be on my way for some activities unrelated to food-though I could and often do argue that music is simply another form of food-I believe that good music feeds the mind just as well as good food feeds the body.

See you on Sunday. I'll be the guy in the Hawaiian shirt and the straw hat with the SFA and HWY 61 and HWY 49 buttons on it. You shouldn't have any trouble finding me.

I just returned home from Jazz Fest. I started going 10 years ago. Amazing and emotional this year. You cannot imagine the devastation until you actually see it. My favorite food at Jazz Fest remains the Pheasant Quail Gumbo from Prejean's (Lafayette). Everyone should get to New Orleans and leave as much money as possible down there.

I had merguez (always delicious--I wish Jamila's would sell it to me by the pound or give me a recipe!), strawberry lemonade, several mango freezes, the combo plate from Mona's, a mini sweet potato pie, and an order of beignets. Lines at the food stands were very long all day on Friday...I was tempted by the andouille calas, the quail gumbo, and the cochon de lait poboy, but I was too into the music to waste time in those long lines!