• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brennan's Turtle Soup

We are serving 26 at a dinner party next week and the first course is turtle soup.Brennan's cookbook lists Airline Seafood as a source of meat, but they can't get it anymore. Anybody have any ideas where in Houston I can get it?

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

We are serving 26 at a dinner party next week and the first course is turtle soup.Brennan's cookbook lists Airline Seafood as a source of meat, but they can't get it anymore.  Anybody have any ideas where in Houston I can get it?

Did you try Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond? They have all kinds of game and exotic meats, so they might have it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

i don't know about meat that's already been processed and ready to cook, but i've seen live turtles at the huge Hong Kong shopping center grocery store out on Bellaire. it's possible they might have frozen turtle meat. if they don't have it they might know where as i've been to many chinese seafood restaurants with live tanks, and seen many with live turtles. you could possibly try to buy some from the restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let eveybody know--I got the meat from Louisiana Foods in Houston and after I ordered it the PR lady at Brennans emailed me that they would sell it for $16/lb (about what I paid for it). The soup turned out beautifully--their recipe is the real thing--we served 26 very happy guests. The book is a keeper.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.