• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle's Best Pudding

I love pudding in basically every form. From tapioca to Christmas, I go crazy for the stuff. I'm currently working on an article for the UW Daily about pudding in Seattle - local pudding, restaurants with good pudding, etc - although it's mainly an excuse to eat a lot of pudding and get paid for it.

What restaurants have great pudding, or related desserts? Are there any good local pudding companies/makers/etc in the Northwest? Or simply, what is your favorite kind, and where do you get it? (My vote goes to Kozy Shack's raisin rice. Mmmm).

Thanks!

Jeremy Konick

I love pudding in basically every form. From tapioca to Christmas, I go crazy for the stuff. I'm currently working on an article for the UW Daily about pudding in Seattle - local pudding, restaurants with good pudding, etc - although it's mainly an excuse to eat a lot of pudding and get paid for it.

What restaurants have great pudding, or related desserts? Are there any good local pudding companies/makers/etc in the Northwest? Or simply, what is your favorite kind, and where do you get it? (My vote goes to Kozy Shack's raisin rice. Mmmm).

Thanks!

Jeremy Konick

GAK. Blasphemy. :wacko:

Snobbery aside, I didn't know that puddings were a very popular dessert item on menus. I certainly don't see it very often. I guess sticky toffee pudding (and spin-offs, like ginger cake with caramel sauce) don't quality.

I'm very interested in what you come up with, though. I love baked tapioca pudding with lotus seed paste--you can get that some dim sum restaurants in Vancouver.

Blasphemy perhaps, but when you can use your student food account to buy it at Safeway it's not bad. Maybe too much dorm food has dulled my tastebuds... :raz:

Also, I don't think that puddings are particularly popular on dessert menus - part of why I'm asking here. Sticky pudding might be a bit far off but I'm interested in pretty much the whole pudding family - that is, all things creamy and thick.

Edited by jkonick (log)

Blasphemy perhaps, but when you can use your student food account to buy it at Safeway it's not bad. Maybe too much dorm food has dulled my tastebuds...  :raz:

Also, I don't think that puddings are particularly popular on dessert menus - part of why I'm asking here. Sticky pudding might be a bit far off but I'm interested in pretty much the whole pudding family - that is, all things creamy and thick.

I almost hate to say this, but I think the only places you'll find pudding on the menu is where they serve lots of children or senior's. I believe the only place in recent memory that I've seen tapioca pudding on the menu was Claire's Pantry in Lake City. Maybe other "coffee shop" style restaurants might have it as well. Good luck! :wink:

edited to say, if you're in Lake City for Claire's Pantry, you might also try Baker's Restaurant up the street, as they're likely to have pudding as well.

Cheers,

Edited by GourmetLight$ (log)

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks!

Jeremy Konick

Jeremy,

<li> Thai black rice pudding at the Thai Siam and other Thai places. Try Araya's 1121 N.E. 45th Street.</li>

<li> Bread pudding with whiskey sauce -- used to get it at Burk's Cafe (now gone); Alligator Soul in Everett and From the Bayou in Tacoma are both probably too distant, as is Cafe Rozella in White Center. Try the Boat Street Cafe near UW.</li>

<li> Does creme brulee count as pudding? Just checking. My fave is at Le Gourmand.</li>

<li> Indian rice pudding (kheer -- a thin rice pudding) available at most area Indian restaurants. Like Taste of India on Roosevelt Way.</li>

<li> Best of all, cassava cake, which is definitely bread pudding-like and turns up occasionally in the dessert cases at Filipino restaurants. You'll have to do some hunting to find this one, but well worth it. If you find it, would you PLEASE let me know? I've only been able to get it at Filipino food booths at food festivals.</li>

Cheers,

Karen

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

Using the loosest possible definition of pudding:

Bread pudding at Matt's in the Market, best ever

Panna cotta at Union

Tiramisu at La Spiga (minimal cake and made in a bowl)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thank you for this, my comrade in pudding. I share the love of the Cozy Shack, (but please, no raisins). The TJ's house brand is a-ok.

I'm a huge fan of the "Sweet Sticky Rice with Thai Custard " at Thai Siam on 15th NW in Ballard. The sticky rice w/mango, served only in season, is quite good too.

If bread pudding fits in, try the bread pudding at The Ram and Boat St Cafe, in that order.

Rocky

Seriously? The Ram? I'm shocked! You know how I feel about bread pudding (can't stand it) and I love, love, love the bread pudding at Boat St Cafe. You think I should try The Ram's?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

apparently I need to make an expotition to the Ram as Bill & I are big bread pudding fans. What don't you like about it?

For firni/kir et all I'd say that Kabul takes the prize.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Pots de Creme would be a pudding, no?

My vote for pudding is the rommegrot served at the Scandinavian place on 15th (the name of which escapes me). It's like a blancmange made with sour cream, served usually with a dried fruit compote. The rice pudding at Ikea with a dollop of lignonberry isn't bad either.

Imperial Garden in the Great Wall Mall serves a *sublime* coconut tapioca topped with a lard pastry crust. Mmmmmmmn.

Eric

Doesn't Ettas do a butterscotch pudding?

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

If bread pudding fits in, try the bread pudding at The Ram and Boat St Cafe, in that order.

Rocky

Seriously? The Ram? I'm shocked! You know how I feel about bread pudding (can't stand it) and I love, love, love the bread pudding at Boat St Cafe. You think I should try The Ram's?

When somebody orders the bread pudding at The Ram, the entire restaurant will come to attention, as you can smell it everywhere! And it's very yummy!!! :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Rocky

Yup, believe it or not it's not bad. You might not be wild about it though it's more for people who already like bread pudding. :biggrin:

Rocky

It does come with sauce that and it is indeed boozy. The biggest appeal to the bread pudding at The Ram is that it comes on a sizzling platter and you get a ton on aroma because of it.

Rocky