• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dunbar & 29th

mtigges

I think that Mexi Cali works.  I know that Lee the owner makes very good southwest mexican food for a very good price.

Correction: Mexi Cali is neither very good, nor is it Mexican, and unless by southwest you mean south of Broadway and West of Granville, you are again sorely mistaken. The meat is dry and overseasoned and the tortilla is store bought and crumbly. But at 5 dollars, I agree, it'll do in a pinch.

Edited by eatvancouver (log)

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

I think that Mexi Cali works.  I know that Lee the owner makes very good southwest mexican food for a very good price.

Correction: Mexi Cali is neither very good, nor is it Mexican, and unless by southwest you mean south of Broadway and West of Granville, you are again sorely mistaken. The meat is dry and overseasoned and the tortilla is store bought and crumbly. But at 5 dollars, I agree, it'll do in a pinch.

If anything, I'd be even less kind. I had a disgusting lunch there once, not improved by the place being full of staggeringly rude private school teenagers.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Mexicali is terrible. Unless you want tater tots.

Go down to 41st and dunbar, Spice Islands (Indonesian) is usually very good. They used to run lunch specials but no more.

I think Zuccini Mummy like kokopelli. Not me.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

You know, i think I,ve been a little harsh. More positively then, Mexicali serves wonderful tater-tots. In fact, i,d say they are currently plating some of the finest tater-tots in the city.

tater-tots.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

...  the place being full of staggeringly rude private school teenagers.

Guess where the recepetion is.

St George's?

Now you know why we residents ask for suggestions out of this neighbourhood...we have nothing I would recommend.

Mexicali is terrible.  Unless you want tater tots.

Go down to 41st and dunbar, Spice Islands (Indonesian) is usually very good. They used to run lunch specials but no more.

I think Zuccini Mummy like kokopelli. Not me.

What, you don't like ten toddlers screeching while you eat your turket panini? :raz:

Nixi on the Mexicali--go to Spice Islands and pop in the wine store a couple of doors down for a looksee.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

We ended up less hungry and with more time than we expected, so we went for an excellent little meal at Wabi Sabi. 

Then a post reception Martini at Lumiere.

Good to hear. It must be hard with so many strong opinions out there. A cocktail at the glowing yellow bar is always a good choice, even more so when the drinks are made by Sterns. :biggrin:

officially left egullet....

weak opinions are definitely better...

Personally, I like my opinions full bodied, aromatic and freshly brewed, with a only a hint of bitterness.

:cool:

Actually, just before I fell asleep last night I was thinking about all the great parks around Saints and now that it its picnic weather, you can grab a sandwich and something chocolate from Sweet Obsession, or kokopelli and enjoy the sun.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Two things:

Mark - How was Wabi Sabi - what did you have?

Paul - Don't get too defensive - we all have different tastes! For example - I have had nothing but great burgers at Veras! What do you mean my not enough bread to the bun?

Gastronomista

....just check out www.eatvancouver.net - I see they send their reviewers out to the creme de la creme of restaurant hotspots and then ridicule the small independent ones - I will fight to the death for Mexi Cali!

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Paul,

Yes, we focus on creme de la creme hot spots, and it's sooo obvious considering three of our last six reviews were:

Papaya Hut

Congee Noodle House

Taiwan Beef Noodle House

Along with the ever so posh Vera's and Modern Burger.

All were positive except for Vera's, which is arguably the least independently owned of the bunch.

And I'm sorry but Mexi Cali sucks ventworm nut, and if you'd broaden your horizons a bit and try authentic mexican food, you'll find that it can be just as cheap and infintely better. If you like crappy mexican rip-off food, buy a packet of el paso taco seasoning at safeway and some premade taco shells, and save yourself a few bucks.

If you have any other problems with myself, or my website, send me a PM and we will discuss it.

Very truly yours,

Jason

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net