• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacation Time!

jediNord

So, the family and I are travelling to Nassau tomorrow for vacation. It will be our first trip to the Bahamas. I was shocked when I did some checking around that there are no Bahamian rums! Is this true?!

Anyway, there may not be any locally made, but I am sure there have to be some Rum Bars or places that have better/more interesting selections than others.

For those that have been, anything to recommend?

Well, I was looking more for "favorite places you may have shopped...." but i never got a chance to check back anyway...

So I tried Don Lorenzo while I was there, as well as learned that Bacardi has a distillery there! I had no idea.

My 4 liters i brought home (at a considerable amount less than it would have cost me here) were Barcardi 8 Años, Cruzan Black Strap, Barbancourt 3 Star, and Appleton VX...

Edited by jediNord (log)

If you read the back label on the Barcardi 8 Años bottle sold in the US, you'll see that it is made in the Bahamas. Don Lorenzo used to be imported to the US, but it is no longer available in the states, other than a few bottles I've seen at Sam's in Chicago.

No doubt you'll enjoy your selection of rums.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.