• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago's foie gras list.

• 4 weeks later...
December 21 Trib had a front page article on who is defying the ban in Chicago:

Let Them Eat Foie Gras!

From the article linked above:

When the letter came from City Hall threatening punishment if he continued to serve foie gras at his North Side restaurant, Doug Sohn framed the warning and set it beside his cash register.

And he kept serving the fattened duck liver without a care.

"We displayed it proudly," said Sohn, owner of Hot Doug's, a gourmet sausage eatery where the daily special can include smoked pheasant topped with foie gras chunks. "My customers and myself enjoy foie gras."

Almost four months after an ordinance went into effect that forbids serving the rich delicacy, many chefs and restaurateurs are shrugging, if not thumbing their noses, at a law that has led to charges of an overly invasive City Council.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like foie fans in Chicago can breathe a collective sigh of relief regarding potential enforcement of the ban . . . if this story from WMAQ is any indication:

Chicago health inspectors paid a surprise visit to a previously warned River North restaurant last week to catch it in the act of selling foie gras -- only to find that the banned liver delicacy was being given away.

Bin 36, 333 N. Dearborn St., managed to avoid a $250 ticket by offering foie gras "as a complimentary sidebar to another dish on the menu. The menu made it clear that they were giving it away as part of a larger offering," said Health Department spokesman Tim Hadac.

"We turned around and came back ... The ordinance prohibits the sale of foie gras. It does not address giving it away. That would be up to the framers of the law [to close the loophole]," Hadac said Tuesday.

Free Foie Gras Presents Legal Conundrum

=R=

Thats awesome.. Its surprising that such an intelligent group of people, like the ones who created this "law", would have missed something like this..

I hope (and guess) that enthusiasm for this legislation has dropped to the point where re-visiting how it is written or practically enforced won't be happening anytime soon.

Also, while it's probably not entirely fair to say that violent crimes (against people) are still taking place in Aldmerman Moore's ward, it's certainly true that they are.

=R=

edit to clarify

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Animal rights protesters are trying to bring attention to the ban by protesting at venues that continue to flout the ban:

The protesters gathered outside Bin 36 on Sunday said they were aware of the city's lackluster enforcement record, but said they hoped to press their case in the court of public opinion.

On the same day, Cyrano's hosted a fundraiser to repeal the ban:

Meanwhile, later Sunday, opponents of the ban gathered at a French bistro for a 139-dollar-a-head fundraiser. The organizers -- Chicago Chefs for Choice -- plan four such events in total, and say the funds raised will be used to pay legal fees related to their campaign to get the ban overturned.

"We have a lot of aldermen on our side. We're confident we'll get the law repealed," said Didier Durand, chef at Cyrano's Bistrot, and co-chair of Chicago Chefs for Choice.

"We don't want the government in our kitchens or bedrooms. Consumers should be given the choice. If they don't agree with foie gras, they don't have to eat it."

The restaurant continues to serve foie gras as part of a 17-dollar grilled French brioche and salad appetizer. The venue was decked out with pictures of the aldermen who sponsored the ban with a caption reading an insult in French.

Here is the entire article:

Foie Gras Stirs Up Debate

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

With the city now safe from illegal foie gras :wink:, alderman Joe Moore will apparently now turn his attention -- and political sway -- to bringing additional alcohol sales to the 49th ward. Moore, via his web site, is soliciting input from the community on lifting a moratorium on package liquor sales in a specific area of Rogers Park for a period of 1 year.

Lifting the moratorium would allow Eric Aubriot and his Flangelato, LLC, to open a gourmet food and wine shop at 1506 W. Jarvis. Of course, if the moratorium is lifted, other individuals and businesses on Jarvis, between Greenview and Ashland could also apply for package liquor licenses during the 1-year period. In typical politician-speak, Moore doesn't really come out and say he's in favor of the 1-year suspension of moratorium but from the way his site touts Aubriot's credentials, it's pretty clear which direction he'd like this to go:

Co-owner Eric Aubriot is a chef, who has twice been nominated for the James Beard Rising Star Award. Aubriot has opened three north side restaurants?Aubriot and Tournesol, and most recently, Fuse. He has been named one of six Hot Chicago Chefs by Chicago Social Magazine and his restaurants have been listed in Esquire Magazine's Best New Restaurants in 1999 and again in 2001.

Believe me, I have no problem with a gourmet food and wine shop opening in Rogers Park but something about this really stinks. I'm guessing the moratorium was originally enacted to protect the quality of life of the people in the affected and adjoining neighborhoods. But regardless of the potential collateral damage this could cause to the area, Moore appears ready to look the other way to get this shop opened. Hell, as long as the ducks are safe, who cares about the people, right?

=R=

Thanks to Chicago Magazine's Dish for bringing this story to our attention.

Hell, as long as the ducks are safe, who cares about the people, right?

=R=

As long as no direct harm come to him he could care less about your liver. I wounder what his stance on DUI is?

Living hard will take its toll...

Lifting the moratorium would allow Eric Aubriot and his Flangelato, LLC, to open a gourmet food and wine shop at 1506 W. Jarvis.  Of course, if the moratorium is lifted, other individuals and businesses on Jarvis, between Greenview and Ashland could also apply for package liquor licenses during the 1-year period.  In typical politician-speak, Moore doesn't really come out and say he's in favor of the 1-year suspension of moratorium but from the way his site touts Aubriot's credentials, it's pretty clear which direction he'd like this to go:

Thanks to Chicago Magazine's Dish for bringing this story to our attention.

Umm...I live in Rogers Park, and the neighborhood is improving, but it has not improved that much. Eric Aubriot? Come one, we just got a Starbucks.

Jarvis used to be liquor store land back in the old days when Evanston was dry (there used to be an all-night drive thru liquor store that we used to hit when parties at Northwestern ran out).

S. Cue

• 2 weeks later...

In the Chicago Tribune 14 February.

Foie gras fight: Chef Didier Durand hosts his final freedom of choice culinary event featuring 10 local chefs preparing a six-course meal. Proceeds, benefit the Campaign to Repeal the Foie Gras Ban, 25 Feb. at Cyrano's.

This is a fyi only, I am not affiliated with Cyrano's just a Chicagoan that is happy to see this event take place.

There is a fee check out Cyrano's Bistrot web page.

Hot Doug's was hit on Friday.

They took away his dogs and he faces a fine of up to $500 or more if they think he was disrespectful...

The story's here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...ll=chi-news-hed

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

No ducking foie gras law by Michelle S. Keller:

Sohn, the owner of Hot Doug's, had been itching for a fight since the City Council overrode the angry veto of Mayor Richard "It's the silliest law ever" Daley. The ordinance took effect Aug. 22.

Sohn was issued a warning several months ago, but he stood his ground. He continued to serve his foie gras-laced hot dogs at his restaurant in the 3300 block of North California Avenue, advertising their ingredients on his Web site and on a board hung boldly near his front door. "I was poking the grizzly bear, and it snapped my head off," Sohn said Friday.

=R=

• 3 months later...

I was just looking for a an update regarding the foie gras ban in chicago. I thought there had been rumors about a reversal of the ban a while ago, but have not heard anthing. Are people still fighting the good fight to bring back foie?

Anyone know of any restaurants who are still willing to serve it with a request by the customer? If so PM me! and no I'm not a secret undercover govt. worker.

Planning on going to a few places during my visit...TRU, Blackbird, Moto, Alinea, or Avenues most likely.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I was at City Hall for a council meeting where the mayor and city council commended the 2007 James Beard winners from Chicago, including Rick Tramanto and Rich Melman, Rick Bayless and his wife as owners of Frontera Grill, Art Smith, and Grant.

In a press conference, the Mayor was asked his thoughts on the foie ban and his statement was that it was the "silliest" law ever passed by the council, and he contrasted it with some very sobering thoughts on the killings in Chicago schools this year.

Chef Bayless also had some interesting thoughts, saying basically that so long as the bill is repealed soon, there will be no long-term, lasting harm to Chicago's dining reputation.

Overall, I had the strong feeling that the Foie ban will be repealed soon, and it is my understanding that a vote on the repeal will be held fairly soon.

I should also add that I have been to many restaurants that have served foie since the ban, including a few that had it on a verbal special. After speaking with several council members about the ban they all voiced their support for the repeal...

I was at City Hall for a council meeting where the mayor and city council commended the 2007 James Beard winners from Chicago, including Rick Tramanto and Rich Melman, Rick Bayless and his wife as owners of Frontera Grill, Art Smith, and Grant.

In a press conference, the Mayor was asked his thoughts on the foie ban and his statement was that it was the "silliest" law ever passed by the council, and he contrasted it with some very sobering thoughts on the killings in Chicago schools this year.

Chef Bayless also had some interesting thoughts, saying basically that so long as the bill is repealed soon, there will be no long-term, lasting harm to Chicago's dining reputation.

Overall, I had the strong feeling that the Foie ban will be repealed soon, and it is my understanding that a vote on the repeal will be held fairly soon.

I should also add that I have been to many restaurants that have served foie since the ban, including a few that had it on a verbal special.  After speaking with several council members about the ban they all voiced their support for the repeal...

Very good news, indeed. Thanks for passing it along.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I should also add that I have been to many restaurants that have served foie since the ban, including a few that had it on a verbal special.  After speaking with several council members about the ban they all voiced their support for the repeal...

Did you ask them why they instituted the ban to begin with?

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail from ASPCA concerning Farm Bill 2007, part of which is opposed by ASPCA. There are several provisions that ASPCA didn't like, but this, from the sample letter they are encouraging members to send, caught my eye:

Section 123 would also prohibit state and local laws on humane animal treatment, such as laws prohibiting the slaughter and sale of horse meat for human consumption and laws on the production and sale of foie gras.

I think I'll send a note to my congressperson encouraging passage of that part of the proposed Farm Bill! [i support ASPCA, but I'd prefer if they stuck to protecting dogs, cats, etc!]