• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago's foie gras list.

I read a quote somewhere from the City's Public Health Commissioner (or at least someone who works in the department) saying that they don't have the resources to actually enforce the ban. Why do I have a feeling this ban will ultimately end up being meaningless? There are definitely restaurants still serving the stuff. I got an email from one place today advertising duck "pate".

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

It seems that the biggest risk which those who continue to serve foie will endure is not citation by the City but instead, the possibility of protestors gathering outside their restaurants.

Don't worry Ron. They'll be weakling, scrawny PETA people. We can just push right through them :laugh:

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

It seems that the biggest risk which those who continue to serve foie will endure is not citation by the City but instead, the possibility of protestors gathering outside their restaurants.

Don't worry Ron. They'll be weakling, scrawny PETA people. We can just push right through them :laugh:

LOL! Josh, you sound more like Bourdain every day! :laugh:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Well, someone will have to file a complaint first.  After that, I assume that the City will need to actually investigate before sending the warning letter to an establishment, since it wouldn't exactly be legit to send one based on heresay alone.

Legal note: It's not hearsay if the complainant describes an event that he has personally witnessed, like a server bringing foie gras to another table. However, there will still doubtlessly be proof problems, and I agree that it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Chicago's historically not so good with prohibition, right?

I have a personal fantasy that I'll be able to employ some type of code words with my server and still be served the goodness, though the last thing I'd want to see is a proprietor bearing the price of my indulgence.

I'd be surprised if they haven't already. This will be a good test to see how powerful Moore really is in Chicago. It should be an interesting next few weeks.

That's my idiot alderman you're talking about. "Powerful"? Not so much. He's a poseur and a grandstander - while our ward flounders in increasingly rampant gang-related drug violence and crime, this...this...nitwithas the nerve to waste precious time and money on nonsense like this? Also, as if his sponsorship of this crock of crap wasn't bad enough, there isn't one single resto in the whole stinkin' ward that even sells foie gras! We do have plenty of dogfights, though. Guess that's a little more dangerous to try and clean up.

*hops off soapbox*

Edited by sundevilpeg (log)

I found out that I would need only 132 signatures on my petition to get on the ballot for the City Council elections in February. The idea of running sounds better all the time!

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

I found out that I would need only 132 signatures on my petition to get on the ballot for the City Council elections in February.  The idea of running sounds better all the time!

Sadly, I live in the 50th ward and could not vote for you, but I'll give you hand if you run.

S. Cue

From the article linked above:

On Day One of the foie gras ban, City Hall received no complaints, which surprised Health Department spokesman Tim Hadac.

"You can kind of take it for granted that those who support the ordinance will test the system, so we're anticipating calls early on," Hadac said.

Don't expect lots of foie gras fines

=R=

So the end result of the ban will be...........people who never knew foie gras even existed will create an even greater demand and expect to see it on even more menus?  Works for me.  Yay ban!

LOL . . . the irony is delicious in and of itself! :smile:

=R=

One way to blow the Department of Health out of the water is to inundate them with bogus complaints that they will have to check out. Soon enough, they can't pay attention to ANY complaints.

One way to blow the Department of Health out of the water is to inundate them with bogus complaints that they will have to check out.

Oooh, that is a truly evil idea. Perhaps those complaints should be directed specifically at restaurants in the foie-free 49th Ward....heh.

Here's hoping that all the Frenchified spots in Evanston - Oceanique, Jacky's Bistro, Jilly's Cafe, etc. - take advantage of this prohibition, much like Rogers Park did for all of the years that Evanston was dry. Payback can be profitable!

Edited by sundevilpeg (log)

That's a good idea - today I called in that the McDonald's was serving Foie Burgers and Bacci's was serving a foie pizza! They have to investigate every call, right? On a serious note, tho' , I wish the council would get serious about smoking.

Edited by david coonce (log)

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

One way to blow the Department of Health out of the water is to inundate them with bogus complaints that they will have to check out.

Oooh, that is a truly evil idea. Perhaps those complaints should be directed specifically at restaurants in the foie-free 49th Ward....heh.

Here's hoping that all the Frenchified spots in Evanston - Oceanique, Jacky's Bistro, Jilly's Cafe, etc. - take advantage of this prohibition, much like Rogers Park did for all of the years that Evanston was dry. Payback can be profitable!

LOL Don't forget Chef Trotter's :laugh::sad::unsure: Just kidding

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

From the article linked above:
On Day One of the foie gras ban, City Hall received no complaints, which surprised Health Department spokesman Tim Hadac.

"You can kind of take it for granted that those who support the ordinance will test the system, so we're anticipating calls early on," Hadac said.

Don't expect lots of foie gras fines

=R=

I wouldn't expect calls early on. Vegans lack the proper proteins necessary for their minds to take quick action. They'll be on it by Christmas, though, I'm reasonably certain. :laugh:

Edited by bob tenaglio (log)

It just blows me away! they banned Foie Gras and didn't ban the breast or legs from these bird.........lol.......Is Chicago ran by a bunch of morrons?

I recieved this letter demanding I stop serving foie gras (they even spelled Foie Gras wrong I had to laugh at that one).Well anyways here what my restaurant in Kansas City is going to do for the month of September... Since Peta says the birds should be set free I'm going to set them free! Free to any customer that somes in and asks for Freedom Gras. and any Foie Gras I sell as a supplement I'm going to donate all the money from the sell to the cause!

...what my restaurant in Kansas City is going to do for the month of September... Since Peta says the birds should be set free I'm going to set them free! Free to any customer that somes in and asks for Freedom Gras. and any Foie Gras I sell as a supplement I'm going to donate all the money from the sell to the cause!
What cause would that be, monkfish?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

...what my restaurant in Kansas City is going to do for the month of September... Since Peta says the birds should be set free I'm going to set them free! Free to any customer that somes in and asks for Freedom Gras. and any Foie Gras I sell as a supplement I'm going to donate all the money from the sell to the cause!

u.e.

Chicago Chefs for Choice

u.e.

Chicago Chefs for Choice

Do you have any information on this organization?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

u.e.

Chicago Chefs for Choice

here's a small link about them.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-foiegras15.html

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

u.e.

Chicago Chefs for Choice

Thank you. They are brave given past PETA tactics.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

u.e.

Chicago Chefs for Choice

Thank you. They are brave given past PETA tactics.

Peta can suck my Foie Gras!