• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food & Drink Early Summer Issue

Anna N

The Early Summer Issue of Food & Drink (the LCBO's complimentary magazine) came out today and it is spectactular in my opinion. The styling and photography and the recipes are just mouth-watering! If you haven't grabbed a copy it's worth a trip to your nearest LCBO.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah, Jay, I could go on for hours about the LCBO and control, however....

I picked the issue up last night and flipped through it, while always attractive I must admit none of the recipes jumped out at me, and some of them seemed rather boring. But, I did just flip through, so I'll have another look.

Anna, what recipes particularly drew your attention?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Anna, is this the issue with the lemon marscapone cheesecake on the front or is there a newer issue? If the former, I haven't seen much to jump out at me yet either, if it's the latter, I'll have Don pick me one up tonight!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Anna, is this the issue with the lemon marscapone cheesecake on the front or is there a newer issue?  If the former, I haven't seen much to jump out at me yet either, if it's the latter, I'll have Don pick me one up tonight!

No, the one with the lemon marscapone is an older one. This one has three pink drinks on the cover.

Perhaps I am too easily impressed but I stand by my own opinion that this issue is great.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I doubt that Anna! I don't have this one yet, so I'll make sure to pick one up and have a look.

Marlene

Just picked one up today... it was good, I suppose, but nothing out of the ordinary. I tend to really like the magazine, and I always make sure to get them. This issue was about the same caliber as any other.

I have never seen any recipies which stand out to me in the LCBO magazines, I wonder instead of spending so much time and money on these lack luster publications, lower the prices on the insanely high mark up'd wines.

If Philly has enough buying power to give up to $40 discounts (example, the 2001 Newton Epic Merlot I got for $19.95 regular $60) then the LCBO being the biggest liquor purchaser in the world should be able provide even better deals on GOOD wines.

Sorry that no one else was as excited as I was. Many of the recipes and presentations struck me as accessible to the home cook who may not be able to obtain unusual or exotic ingredients. I love the clarity of the food photography.

Thank goodness we are all different else I might never be able to get a copy as they disappear very quickly from the stores around here.

My 2004 eG Blog

The luxurious photos make this magazine popular. I usually skim over the articles, which are rarely current. The recipes by Lucy Waverman. are O.K., but in the current issue there is little emphasis on emerging local food, from spring and summer. The magazine is designed and written many months in advance, and it shows.

It's too bad the LCBO has no real competition, as from a warehouse club, or specialty wine merchants.

Sorry, I'm with Anna. I like this magazine and I've used several recipes from it in the past. In this issue I can see the Beef and Bhajias, the sesame chicken negimaki, the roast beef with double horseradish creme, and a few others that I'll be interested in trying.

Marlene

I have NEVER, and will NEVER understand the pairing of roast beef and horseradish...Classic shmassic, the horse radish just totally rolls over the flavours of the roast beef.

My dad tried to get me to eat it together when we had our last roast, I tried a little of it to please him, and promptly removed any remainning horseradish from my plate.

Sorry, I'm with Anna.  I like this magazine and I've used several recipes from it in the past.  In this issue I can see the Beef and Bhajias, the sesame chicken negimaki,  the roast beef with double horseradish creme,  and a few others that I'll be interested in trying.

Add to Marlene's choices:

Shrimp Cakes with Cashews and Wasabi Mayo

The Beetroot Salad with Blood Oranges

Stir-fried Ginger Fish with Broccolini

Rhubarb Roulade

Roasted Strawberries and Iced Strawberry Compote on Coconut Crisp

and the Cuppuccino Shake served in glass coffee mugs which I think would make a lovely summer replacement for a specialty coffee.

There's more - but these are my top picks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello all,

Hey - wasn't there something with romesco in the latest issue? 

Romesco: grrreat stuff.  Make some!

Kev

Yes there was a recipe for Romesco sauce but the one from the Zuni Cafe book is hard to beat.

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes there was a recipe for Romesco sauce but the one from the Zuni Cafe book is hard to beat.

I don't know the Zuni Cafe book, but for a reference on Catalan cuisine from what I know the best book in English is Catalan Cuisine by Coleman Andrews. More than one Romesco recipe in there.

Sorry, Saddy - my mum-in-law was sick in hospital over in Quebec and we also had a baby. :smile:

Anyway, Romesco... I'm not Catalan, nor an expert on published Romesco recipes, but we lived in Catalunya for a few years and so I have first hand experience.

Romesco's rich and picante, and will usually have grilled red pepper, olive oil, garlic, tomato, red wine vinegar, almond and hazlenut in it, along with paprika, salt&pep, a bit of chili, and so on, depending on your taste. Great with grilled things - white fish, pork/veal chops, asparagus... Didn't the Gremolata guy have something on it a while back? (No commissions for me yet; I just recall it.)

One interesting thing - Romesco, or a variant, might also be served as a dipping sauce during 'calçotadas.' These are basically mediaeval springtime bbqs, where you go off to the country (preferably your hometown), start a smouldering fire low to the ground, and roast calçots (huge spring onions - specially grown and bigger than big leeks). You then put on a bib, peel the outer layer off from a calçot, dip in the calçot sauce, and then imbibe them - whilst drinking loads of wine of course. Make a big mess! A timeless feast, and great. Also, a well-chosen sprintime issue topic for the LCBO magazine.

(Important relevant soccer note - Barcelona will play for the Liga tomorrow, Wed, at Celta Vigo. Should be two years in a row. 'Hoy toca Liga')

(2nd note - for the life of me, I can't imagine a cultural event, based around bbq'ing a vegetable - in this case, monstrous spring onions - ever catching on in N.America to such a degree. Can you?)

Edited by KevV (log)

I'm sure elsewhere people think the idea of corn roasts / corn boils (sorry, can't remember what they're called) are pretty weird.

my sister once reported that the idea of roasting marshmallows was foreign to people she was hanging out with in Switzerland.

I'm sure elsewhere people think the idea of corn roasts / corn boils (sorry, can't remember what they're called) are pretty weird.

my sister once reported that the idea of roasting marshmallows was foreign to people she was hanging out with in Switzerland.

I'd say the corn thing makes sense, but marshmellows would strike lots of people worldwide as an exotic activity.

(Call me clueless, but how widespread are marshmellow roasts? I think I've done it once, although I'm not sure why...)

KevVVvv

Sorry to hear about the mum in law...

Congrats on the bayb...is it your first? boy? girl?

That stuff sounds interesting, maybe with some BBQ'd Branzino or some fresh fish...or even as a app dip, maybe ill play around in the summer...

For now, Im knee deep in horse shit (literaly!) trying to get the garden ready for planting! Got lots of stuff this year, and just dug out a new 25X6 foot bed...so much work to do tomorrow.

City Fish? Italian? I dunno, I thought they were Portuguese...

(Exchange between CF staff - tradução do português: "João, what's a 'branzino' again? We've got another one here who thinks were Italian!")

(The link should work.)

The staff may be portugese, I know one guy I am friendly with is from Venezuela, who knows, I think the owner may be Italian...regardless, most of the fish they have are called by their name of origin, hence Branzino :)

Kev - Have you tried their vodka smoked salmon!?