• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake or Pie? Take your pick

Making coconut cake for a dear friend's birthday party tonight. And, since I had all of the gear out anyway, making a mayhaw pound cake for me.

And, while I am thinking about it, it's BIRTHDAY CAKE that is served for a birthday celebration, not Birthday Pie. People, there's a reason for that...

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Making coconut cake for a dear friend's birthday party tonight. And, since I had all of the gear out anyway, making a mayhaw pound cake for me.

And, while I am thinking about it, it's BIRTHDAY CAKE that is served for a birthday celebration, not Birthday Pie. People, there's a reason for that...

yes, there's a reason. For many of us, once a year is enough for both. hee hee.

Your coconut cake is a thing of beauty, I will admit. I'd prefer your pound cake, though, since the relative simplicity of pound cake lets the quality and flavors of the ingredients really shine. Come to think about it, that's why I prefer pie.

Read the current threads on cherry and blueberry pies...yumm.

• 2 weeks later...

Brigtsen's Pecan Pie for me. I am not a cake person. I would rather eat a Duncan Hines box cake than most bakery cakes I have tried. Give me a good pie anytime. I grew up on pie at The Blue Spring and Cowen's in the St. Louis metro area.

• 1 month later...

I won't say "both" because I like to play by the rules. Having said that, :unsure: it depends entirely on the flavours involved. Chocolate meringue pie trumps carrot cake. Chocolate cake trumps chess pie. If neither option was chocolate, I'd go for the pie.

Okay, I admit, that's sort of both, but leaning toward pie. :laugh:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The lady wags at Jezebel.com have their own March Madness bracket: Cake v, Pie. I voted for Carrot Cake today.Clickity.

I knew you were at Jezebel! I've read your comments from time to time! Er, on topic... I voted carrot cake, too. I mean, I'm usually team pie, but carrot cake is better than both of the pie entries. Although, sometimes, I vote in both sides. I figure it'll all hash out when we're down to the final two.

I thought that was you! I'm not registered there, but have been voting in the cake vs pie showdown. Shocked, however, that you both prefer carrot cake over black forest.

How do you all feel about cheesecake being included in the pie category?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Yet Boston Cream Pie is on Team Pie as well. (shenanigans)

I haven't yet committed to either Team Pie or Cake yet. They both have such goodness to offer! It's going to be tough when it gets down to the final two. I was thinking apple would come out on top on the pie side, but now I'm wondering about cheesecake.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

True story: two days ago I was browsing in a bookstore in Harvard Square before heading off to a meeting nearby. Two college-age students working behind the counter/register. Overheard, mid-conversation:

Student #1: ... fruit pies, especially lemon meringue.

Student 32: meringue, that's eggs, right? but chocolate cake, you like chocolate cake?

Student #1: it's okay. carrot cake is better, I love the cream cheese frosting.

Student #2: so you do like cake better than pie?

Student #1: no.

Srudent #2: I think you can get counseling for that at university health services.

True story: two days ago I was browsing in a bookstore in Harvard Square before heading off to a meeting nearby. Two college-age students working behind the counter/register. Overheard, mid-conversation:

Student #1: ... fruit pies, especially lemon meringue.

Student 32: meringue, that's eggs, right? but chocolate cake, you like chocolate cake?

Student #1: it's okay. carrot cake is better, I love the cream cheese frosting.

Student #2: so you do like cake better than pie?

Student #1: no.

Srudent #2: I think you can get counseling for that at university health services.

Delicious!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Putting Boston Cream pie in the pie bracket was clearly wrong. Frankly, I wouldn't vote for it in the cake bracket ... it's good, but not that interesting.But all of this is just so much more interesting than college basketball.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Today I'd say CAKE

Apple-pineapple-peach cake, perhaps??

LOL :biggrin:

That cake is delicious.......my wife raves about it. A little while back I made a cheesecake with apple and we loved that almost as much.

I guess there is a reason that fruit and cheese is one of the most popular and timeless desserts in the world.

BTW, emmalish again THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE RECIPE !

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

• 6 months later...

This just in: A Cake With Pies Baked Inside of It.

Ever think, "cake is pretty good, but it would be way better if it had pies inside of it"? This is that cake: The Pumpple, consisting of apple and pumpkin pies "baked inside layers of chocolate and vanilla cake."

Best of both worlds?

Or hideous abomination?

Delicious confection?

Or Frankencake? Frankenpie?

Line up outside the restaurant to eat some?

Line up outside the restaurant with torches and pitchforks?

You be the judge!

--

I'm a pie girl through and through. cake has it's place, but that place is not suffocating the life out of a perfectly good pie. It reminds me of the time I thought, "Rum and coke! love it! Coke Float! Yum!" Then, not being able to decide between the two, made a rum-and-coke float. NOT a good idea.

Now, cake-type filling in a good pie crust, that's a compromise I could get behind.

Edited by TeakettleSlim (log)

I don't know. There should be some sort of culinary equivalent of the fashion dictum: "Before leaving the house, look in the mirror and remove one piece of jewelery." Like,

Before leaving the kitchen, do remove any pie BAKED INTO A CAKE.
But then, nothing succeeds like excess.

Maybe this belongs in the Culinary Signs of the Apocalypse topic?

I forgot about this thread. I meant to respond ages ago.

I prefer pie. Remembering back to my childhood, I asked for a cherry pie for my birthday (and got it) instead of a cake. My grandfather was the same way. I did make exceptions for chocolate-cherry cake with fudge frosting for a couple years, though. I still make that cake, though not the same way I did. Cake mixes don't belong in my house anymore.

That said, I love baking cakes. I love frosting cakes. I love making cupcakes and frosting those. I love giving people cake and cupcakes. I love eating cupcakes at 11PM just warm out of the oven because I had to have *something* due to a chocolate craving. But I'd prefer pie. I just didn't have time to make crust, let it rest, roll it out, fill it, and bake it for an hour at that point in my day. ;)

• 3 months later...

So, I am spending my evening in the cold climes of the far North (Durham, NC) and making my stupidly complicated coconut cake and Ann's Caramel Cake (mentioned above). Both are, and will still be. better than your little rounds of dough and goo smooshed into a pan.

That is all. Thanks for listening.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...