• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake or Pie? Take your pick

Shoo-fly is not a staple in my part of the South, though I learned the song in first grade. Forgot about it over the years. And there's black bottom, which I didn't mention before. It just didn't seem LADYLIKE, somehow.

Possum cake? :shock: Haven't even HEARD of that one, though there was that hideous red-velvet armadillo in that movie...

CAKE!

When I was a kid, Mom didn't know how to make homemade cake, so we only got cake on birthdays........and it was usually Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines. At some point my Mom learned to make pie crust fairly well, so at every non-birthday occasion there was pie, pie and always pie.

I do like pie, but I'll pick a well made cake anytime. Also, my most hated dessert is pumpkin pie (baby food in a crust), and as someone earlier in the thread pointed out, any fruit worth eating I'd rather have raw, with the exception of lemon. A well made lemon tart is almost good enough for me to pass up cake. Almost.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Possum cake? :shock:  Haven't even HEARD of that one, though there was that hideous red-velvet armadillo in that movie...

I don't know if possum pie is native to a particular part of the country. I've had it exactly twice, both times made by my friend Nancy (originally of Arkansas), and neither time did it involve the actual death or consumption of possum. It did involve a nice crunchy crust with nuts--pecans, I think--and a smooth, buttery sort of filling, topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Quite heavenly.

And further proof of the superiority of pie, which can take on any guise--even that of the humble possum--and still come out positively magnificent. :laugh:

Women like BCP too, but men are mad about it.  Dead serious, Brooks is accurate:in my experience, Boston Cream Pie trumps every wile of womanhood -- Botox, garter belts, a Great  Personality or cute tummybutton.  Pull out your Fanny Farmer, ladies.

I am very fond of pie.

Botox is NOT a womanly wile, not unless your partner likes you looking like a trout.

Which is why we had this at our wedding:

Yup. Wedding cake and wedding pie. I made the cake and the topmost mini pie; grandma made the middle pie, local bakery did the bottom one. It was pretty cool  :biggrin:

That is such a cool idea. I'm in awe.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I'd have thought I'd said cake, as it was the first thing I learned to cook, and I still take great pleasure in baking them, though I rarely ever do.

But then I remembered what I requested each year for my birthday when I was young (we were allowed our absolute favorite cake for dessert):

pumpkin pie!

:blink:

Hrm... I love pie, but I also love frosting. I mean, of course I enjoy cake, but it's the frosting that makes it or breaks it for me (unless it's a really really really FANTASTIC chocolate cake).

So, pie, I guess. With frosting. ;o)

Misa

Sweet Misa

There was a royal decree to Eat Cake wasnt there? :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

But then I remembered what I requested each year for my birthday when I was young (we were allowed our absolute favorite cake for dessert):  pumpkin pie!

I'm with you on the pumpkin pie! :raz:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Without question - cake.

But preferably a well made homemade cake. Cakes from places like Costco or BJ's blow (in my humble opinion). And I've been turning up my nose at most supermarket and bakery style cakes too...those fluffy, airy concotions with no substance or density with icings full of chemicals just don't do it for me.

So most of the time, I stick to the cakes I make. A well made scratch cake trumps those other cakes every time. And I bake the types of cakes described earlier in this post - pineapple upside down, german chocolate, carrot - YUM! I must admit though that when I get a hankering for cake, 9 times out of 10 it's for a scratch butter cake with chocolate buttercream icing.

Cake! It's the Holy Spawn of bread and pie.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I vote for pie (my favorite is rhubarb). My mom's pie crust melts in your mouth.

There's way too much dry cake with sugary frosting in the world. Bad pie at least generally includes fruit. Bad cake has nothing to redeem it.

But then I remembered what I requested each year for my birthday when I was young (we were allowed our absolute favorite cake for dessert):  pumpkin pie!

I'm with you on the pumpkin pie! :raz:

u.e.

I'm with you on your other choices, too. As an adult, I'd say that key lime pie is almost as good as sex. *

* Please note that I said almost ... :biggrin:

I'm with you on your other choices, too.  As an adult, I'd say that key lime pie is almost as good as sex. *

* Please note that I said almost ...  :biggrin:

... then either you've not had really good key lime pie, or you're one very lucky person! :laugh:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

There's way too much dry cake with sugary frosting in the world.  Bad pie at least generally includes fruit.  Bad cake has nothing to redeem it.

Come now, everyone. You must adhere to the initial premise posed: You have a choice between the best cake vs. the best pie.

Ergo, poorly baked pies and cakes are not a factor in the decision.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

I vote for pie (my favorite is rhubarb).  My mom's pie crust melts in your mouth.

There's way too much dry cake with sugary frosting in the world.  Bad pie at least generally includes fruit.  Bad cake has nothing to redeem it.

Not if the fruit is overcooked and mushy :sad:

I love a good homemade from scratch cake with or without frosting......by me... :wink:

And we'd all be much the poorer without Birthday Cake.

That's funny - we had a family birthday last week and the requested "birthday cake" was rhubarb pie!

I'll make whatever the birthday boy or girl requests, and it's almost always pie. The filling depends on the season.