• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake or Pie? Take your pick

This discussion is one a certain group of friends and I have been having for a few years now, however ours veers slightly. We are trying to find evidence to support our claim that men prefer pie while women prefer cake. Other than eating a lot of desserts together, we have come to no discernable theory.

That being said, I'm for pie. Preferably walnut or ricotta.

Carrot cake is the only type of cake I truly enjoy.

Especially the dry Italian ricotta ones.

Where ever have you been eating ricotta pie? Good lord. It's not dry at all.

Frosting is a bit like cocktails, mostly enjoyed by women and the sexually ambiguous.

Now frosting WITHOUT cake? Sign me up. Straight out of the bowl. Butter cream, cream cheese, you name it. But no cake for god's sake.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

This discussion is one a certain group of friends and I have been having for a few years now, however ours veers slightly.  We are trying to find evidence to support our claim that men prefer pie while women prefer cake. 

I am a man. Spelled M....A....N. No B...O...Y. (apologies to Muddy)

I like cake.

Theory shot to hell.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This discussion is one a certain group of friends and I have been having for a few years now, however ours veers slightly.  We are trying to find evidence to support our claim that men prefer pie while women prefer cake. 

I like cake.

Theory shot to hell.

Thanks for the update. I was concerned, but thankfully, my fears have been abetted.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I like cake.

Theory shot to hell.

Thanks for the update. I was concerned, but thankfully, my fears have been abetted.

Just keeping things clear. Clarity is all important in this form of information exchange. :wink:

But, you know, it seems to me that you might have a leg to stand on. Tonight I will go through this thing and try and count the votes (though some people, despite my explicit warning, seem to have a hard time getting off of the fence and making up their minds) but it looks to me like men DO prefer pie. I'll try to get a more scientific count later in the evening.

Channeling here...

[jinmyo] Cake? Pie? Gah. Neither. Steak. Rare.[/jinmyo] :wink:

Marlene,

I think Texas Brownies qualify as cake. Very cake-like and topped with chocolate frosting with walnuts in it.

{Martha]Cake. It's a good thing.[/Martha] :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Cake. Hands down.

Cake in the mornin'

Cake in the evenin'

Cake at noontime.

And in between. :wink:

I'm generally not a fan of excessive sauce, goo, gravy, whatever. For me, it's a texture thing. Pie, even custard pie, just feels a little sloppy on my tongue. And don't be mounding a bunch of sauce on top of my cake! Whipped cream is acceptable though.

Plus, cake's just really a type of bread, which is also one of my favorite things.

What the hell is that quote about cake being high-falluttin' and pie being homey? It's driving me crazy. Was it from Michael Lee West or Edna Lewis?

My neighbor and I have an ongoing friendly cooking/baking competition. She definitely wins on the baking side. Here's what she baked me for my birthday (as previously pictured in the PMS thread). A chocolate stout (as in Guinness) cake.

gallery_21496_2691_330496.jpg

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I prefer cake. I don't make pie even for Thanksgiving (much to the consternation of my in-laws). Instead, I make a cake--a sweet potato and cranberry cake with cream cheese icing.

Cakes just seem more special, and I love to bake them. Pies, oh well, I like some--a real blueberry or peach, strawberry rhubarb, and lemon or keylime. That's the end. I refuse to eat an apple pie, but I like apple tarts. Pies are too big, too sweet, too gluey. Let me eat cake! :wub:

S. Cue

gallery_10237_2694_58371.jpg

The Caramel Cake that started this whole mess(sorry for the rough icing job, but I no longer have a turntable).

gallery_10237_2694_1373962.jpg

Remains. Most of it was gone by the end of the evening and the remains were part of a healthy breakfast the next day.

Cake. It's better than pie.

gallery_10237_2694_58371.jpg

The Caramel Cake that started this whole mess(sorry for the rough icing job, but I no longer have a turntable).

You are mean. :sad: Mean :sad: , mean :sad: , mean :sad: . Where's the recipe, already? :wub:

That looks sooooooooo good.

I have a wonderful date cake recipe I could post in exchange...

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours! :laugh:

I bake and like both pies and cakes, and as I think we agree on, we are comparing good cakes and good pies, but if I had to pick one.... it would definately be CAKE.. I like Varmint's comment about following fruit and other produce through the seasons with pie, but the variety of cake styles is so much greater and can also utilize all the bounty of the seasons.

I love homey unfrosted cakes like lemon, ginger, apple, plum, almond, poppyseed or walnut. Poundcakes, angelfood, upside down cakes, fruitcakes...

I love grand, over the top American and Southern layer cakes like caramel, pecan, coconut, orange and cheesecake.

As people on the board probably already have a hint of, I love extravagant but less sweet Austrian/Hungarian tortes--Dobos, Punsch, Strawberry Cream, Chocolate-Hazelnut, Chestnut, Poppyseed, Malakoff Cream, Nut Meringues, etc., etc.

And then there's French Gateaux including chocolate and mousse cakes, Spanish Almond and Citrus Cakes, Italian Ricotta, Hazelnut and Almond Cakes, English Fruitcakes.

Cakes to suit all moods and tastes and times of day. They can be eaten with coffee, tea, dessert wines, milk. They can be served with custard or fruit sauces, whipped cream or ice cream. There is a whole world of cakes you cake-naysayers are missing.

A good pie is a very, very nice thing, but cakes can range from humble to divine.

What the hell is that quote about cake being high-falluttin' and pie being homey?  It's driving me crazy.  Was it from Michael Lee West or Edna Lewis?

This may not be what you’re thinking of, but it was my sig line for awhile (I don't think it covers all occasions, but I liked the ring of it):

Cakes are fancy-ass, honey. Pie is home."

-- Idella Johnson, Veteran Pie Baker, as quoted in Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax

(I would categorize baklava as a pastry.)

and…if I was going to trash talk the pie lovers… I’d say,

“Cakes rule, now shut your pie-hole!” :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Apple

Blackberry

Blueberry

Buttermilk

Chess

Chicago Style "Pizza" (which I consider more of a pie than a pizza)

Chocolate

Coconut

Cream

Frangipane

Key Lime

Lemon Meringue

Molasses

Peach

Pear

Pecan

Quiche (what is this if not a pie?)

Raspberry

Rhubarb

Ritz Cracker

Shoe Sly

Strawberry

Sugar

Tarte Tatin

Vinegar

Various combinations of the above

What could it be, if not pie?

--

Except for maybe the deep dish pizza, Ritz Crackers and vinegar, I'd make you lovely varieties of cakes out of any of those ingredients. Each single ingredient could provide a delcious array of different cake styles.

I do cherish savory and sweet tarts, although I wouldn't call them pies for this discussion. (a favorite subject of an old thread, I know.)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Apple

Blackberry

Blueberry

Buttermilk

Chess

Chicago Style "Pizza" (which I consider more of a pie than a pizza)

Chocolate

Coconut

Cream

Frangipane

Key Lime

Lemon Meringue

Molasses

Peach

Pear

Pecan

Quiche (what is this if not a pie?)

Raspberry

Rhubarb

Ritz Cracker

Shoe Fly

Strawberry

Sugar

Tarte Tatin

Vinegar

Various combinations of the above

What could it be, if not pie?

Nothing. Nicely said. Pie is THE MAN.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I like both actually. Cake is my spring and summer choice, pie for fall and winter.
we do not accept this answer.

Good point. Thanks for handling this.

No fence sitting allowed. Step up and make a choice (it doesn't mean that you can't eat both, it just means that, well, you are opinionated. In a good way. :wink: )

What's the consensus on Ice Cream cake?

Or Boston Creme Pie? Isn't that a cake?

Can you still have a cake if it is surrounded by Pate Brissee?

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What's the consensus on Ice Cream cake?

Or Boston Creme Pie? Isn't that a cake?

Well, I think that

ice cream cake-cake (they just neatly include the ice cream along with the cake)

Boston Cream Pie-cake (but a big gooey mess-even the really good ones-imo)

Ok with me.

Also, blancmange (I saw it up there for a minute)-I'm thinking more in the gelatin/custardy category, kind of like flan. Not cake. Not pie. Good nevertheless.

Lets not confuse the issue with the Blancmanges. Puddings or Souffle even.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host